“Great easter weekend.”

Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Coventry
“Great easter weekend.”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Was looking for a cheap deal to treat the other half for easter but didn't want to travel far so picked this hotel as prevoius experiances had been great and there was a great 1 night deal online of £69 B&B for easter Saturday. Again the hotel hasn't let me down. The checkin was quick and freindly, although the wine I had ordered to be in the room on arrival wasn't there, 1 phone call and 5 mins later it was, without fuss or question and a note from the front desk lady to say sorry.
Our room was in the new wing and although a walk from the front of the hotel was worth it as the room was great with flat screen TV (Although as mentioned before only basic sky channels)and a nice sofa area so we could spread out.
We ate in the verve grill and although it seemed very busy the young staff coped very well dealing with my wife's fussy requests. The food was cooked just right and was value for money. (2 dine for £29) a bonus in this type of hotel. The hotel bar was very busy as the football was on but again the staff coped well and were very friendly in taking the time to speak to us whilst serving. There did seem to be an issue later on in the night with a drunken Guest but that seemed to be dealt with quickly and professionally before it became a problem for other guests so credit to the bar staff for dealing with it (In fact I don't think anyone else noticed it, but only because we were sat by the door did we).
Breakfast Sunday was very busy but we did go just before they stop serving but again the staff seemed to be handling the guests and coping well. The pool area again was very busy with lots of Children (Easter Sunday I guess) but it didn't put us off as we sat on the lounges area reading the free Sunday papers until it emptied a little and then spent a very relaxing 2 hours in the pool, steam room and spa pool.
All in all a very busy but what seemed to be well run hotel. I have been here a few times now and it has never let me down and I would have no issues staying again and hope to do so again in the near future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new wing are a walk but worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bishops Stortford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

Having visited the hotel on many previous occasions, in the last 12 years which include weddings, anniversary, birthdays engagements and just relaxation. We have always found the staff to be extremely polite and helpful, whether its asking for the best walk into town to local actives they are willing to go the extra mile. I would like to say that this, my most recent visit, has been by far the best; this is because of cost, atmosphere, activities and value.
I am unable to understand how other people like Tm_27 are so outraged with the pleasant and well trained staff, and I am baffled by his opinion that the spa staff should keep a menu for the restaurant that is upstairs.

many thanks,
J.C and my family.

Room Tip: They are always good, try not to be getting a good nights sleep on well known days off ( Christmas)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
North West
Reviewed April 7, 2012

This was our first visit for over 2 years after staying away from what had become a rather poorly managed hotel and such a pleasant surprise.The staff were all very helpful and friendly. The room (617) clean tidy and everything you would need for a 3 night stay . Food in the restaurant was excellent and the general standard was well above average.Nothing in fact we can fault except not having Freeview/teletext television which is available in Coventry so cannot understand why it is not in the hotel. This would be so useful for checking the weather and travel when you are undertaking a long journey, which you cannot do on Sky.
I must add that the new general manager is doing a superb job and congrats all round & loving Starbucks!!
Stayed on 3/4/5 April

Reviewed April 6, 2012

I also went to the spa at this hotel for the silver package with friends for a 'special' birthday treat. From the word go I was baffled by the lack of knowledge and experience from all the staff we encountered. They weren't expecting us and didn't seem to quite no what to do with us. No robes or explanation as to what we can do throughout the day or even a menu we could book lunch from!! We accepted it though and went through to get changed after finding the changing rooms ourselves!! Had an ok hour in the pool and jacuzzi then decided we'd like to join in the aqua fit class, assuming that 'use of all amenities' meant we could join classes use the gym etc. Well we didn't exactly get a welcome reception from the instructor who stated that she'd told the people in healthworks that we weren't to attend the class - never the less she did let us continue and said to have fun and enjoy it.
Once that was over we then decided to go for lunch. Got to healthworks reception to be told that our lunch was booked for 2 o'clock but no one had communicated that to us and we wanted lunch then. Still no menu available we just accepted what the girls came up with as lunch choices and made our way to the restaurant - still no instructions on how to get there we had to figure it out ourselves. Once we arrived we were greeted by an unfriendly waitress who seemed annoyed we were there already but went through the motions and served us anyway. When questioned if a drink was included in the package we were told 'not that I'm aware of'.
Still we made the most of our mediocre jacket potatoes and my friends birthday lunch.
Next was the healthworks spa!! Well what an uncomfortably awful experience. Myself and my friend were shown to our rooms for our back massages. I had a very short consultation and was then left to get changed. Once changed I was trying to relax on the bed but all I could hear were two of the staff moaning at the other side of the door about there job!! I really didn't want to hear it. Worse was yet to come though!! I then endured the most uncomfortable 15-20 mins of my life with a very rough and unprofessional massage. It has left me with severe back pain today particularly on my shoulders and bad tension headaches and a result. Myself and my friend both experienced the same level of pain and both have physical bruises to prove it. After the massage we then had an again very unprofessional manicure with no attention of care put towards me or my friend at all. They seemed more bothered about who'd replaced the till roll and where they got it from, oh and not to mention the lovely drown of a Hoover during our 'pampering session'.
This has to be one of the worst experiences I've encountered and such a shame as it was supposed to be a birthday treat. I would not recommend using the healthworks spa for a relaxing pamper day.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Emmielou1984
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2012

A group of us, cousins,all getting older, were looking for somewhere to meet for lunch which wouldn't involve going into the city centre as one was travelling from Bridgwater, and two from Corby. As I am a member of the leisure club I suggested the Village, and we met together on Tuesday 3rd April. We arranged to meet at 11.30am so I called in the day before, to check opening times and meals available as most people only wanted a snack. I was greeted by Lee who could not have been more helpful. When we arrived on the Tuesday we were allowed to use the room, although before the official opening time and Lee
had arranged for a table for the 9 of us. We spent a very pleasant couple of hours with drinks, meals and chats! Lee and his assistant were efficient, helpful and helped to make it a special get together, nothing was too much trouble. I would like to extend our thanks to them for a job well done! Maureen Hall

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We went for the Silver package spa day, when we got there we went to health works to check in, the girl was polite but didn't seem to know what exactly the silver package included, we went to the pool which was fine, joined in an Aqua fit class but the instructor wasn't too impressed with us being there and stated that there was a destinct lack of communication between the leisure staff and spa staff, when finished in the pool we went to get lunch the girl in the spa didn't have a menu and could only remember a few of the choices we could have, we chose baked potato which were ok! The waitress got an attitude on her because we were half an hour early for our lunch but we were not told we had booked in and at what time, the lunch didn't include a drink which for what we paid is pretty poor.
The Spa, well what can I say it wasn't relaxing, someone was vacuuming outside my treatment room, the treatments I had were a back massage and manicure, the massage was very
rough and random and I now have bruised shoulders, the manicure was rushed and so the finish looked really crap! The girls talked over me and my friend about till rolls when we were trying to make conversation with them. I would never in a million years go back there! It cost £62 which I feel was completely wasted, I wouldn't give them £5 for the whole experience!!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Tm_27
Lancashire UK
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed for 4 nights for a sports event, booked because of 4 star rating, facilities and spa.

Room was quite small with a disgusting view of the side of Jane Normans warehouse - literally only a few metres from the window, hardly any daylight in the room.

We stayed in what seemed the older, more tired section of the hotel. Some of the hotel seems to have been upgraded (new carpets etc) but clearly not all.

Breakfast was very average, a very small hot counter, very limited selection of food, only 3 cerials, not great.

Ate a couple of meals in the Victory pub. Food was poor and bland - even asked for some garden peas with a meal and the hotel 'didn't have anything like that' - warmed up mushy peas only!!!!

As for sleep, glad I took my own pillow as they were poor, bed was hard and bumpy and the duvet was provided uncovered. Uggghh!! To be fair the room was clean and tidy and the bathroom was ok.

This hotel is in the centre of an industrial park, close to factories etc. It is bland with poor food and below standard accomodation. If you want a comfortable, interesting stay with good food, nice views and a relaxing atmosphere, try elsewhere.

Room Tip: ask for a car park view - better than the view of a factory wall!!!