“Bedsit and breakfast”

Village Hotel Coventry
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I have stayed in the Village Hotel Warrington which was excellent and good value for money however Village Coventry was absolutely terrible. DO NOT STAY HERE. I booked a reduced room price deal for 2 nights and paid in advance with a premium for upgrade to deluxe. . The room I was given was an absolute joke. The room was small with one small window looking out (LOL) on to a factory wall. The room was absolutelt filthy and it appeared that most of the fittings were way passed there effective life. the toilet bowl rim was encrusted with what can only be described as brown gunge, the tiling grout was filled with black mould, there were footprints (yes really) on the walls and there were cobwebs and marks over all the walls. despite the website indicating that the rooms are comfort cooled we were supplied with one small filthy and broken desk fan. The kettle was covered in dirty prints. The desk chair was covered in nasty looking stains and I would hate to imagine how they got there. I have stayed in many hotels in many price bands but I have never seen such poor quality accomodation at any price, even £9 a night in blackpool was cleaner and better furnished! I refused to stay but because we had prepaid it took me 4 days to get my money back. I went to Coombe Abbey instead in Coventry and got the same room rate for a wonderful 4 star stay. De Vere you must be joking - close this tip down.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
DamianGoom, General Manager at Village Hotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your constructive feedback and I am sorry that it took 4 days for us to catch up with each other so that I could hear your feedback and offer you a full refund following your stay.
I am very sorry that your experience here was not a good one, this is not indicative of the standards that I wish to achieve after 4 weeks as Manager here and neither of the standards expected of a Village Hotel. As mentioned I have implemented a full walk around of every one of the 146 bedrooms and faults such as the ones you have found are currently being rectified. This hotel is an extremely busy one and the issues mentioned by yourself are certainly the exception and not the norm.
I hope that your experience here will not put you off of staying at another Village in the future
Kindest regards
Damian Goom

Write a ReviewReviews (2,613)

Reviewed September 5, 2011

My Husband and I stayed here on Saturday the 3rd of Sept, thankfully just for the one night. We were advised by Reception that it was a walk to the room but it was a quieter part of the hotel. Quieter it may have been but cleaner, it wasn't.
The room had a decidedly shabby feel to it and didn't smell very fresh, the carpet was stained, the walls scuffed and the grouting in the bathroom looked like it had never been cleaned. The breakfast the following morning was dreadful, a buffet where they managed in bringing out cold, supposed hot food. The tables in the much priased Verve grill were sticky from the previous nights alchohol and goodness knows what else and the chairs were absolutely filthy and stained.
I shall not be returning and certainly will never reccomend anyone else to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed in a family room which was very clean and comfortable. Leisure facilities were really good, children are only allowed in the pool at certain times which is a good idea all round. Staff in the pool area were excellent and very friendly. Ate in the restaurant on the first night which was great value for money (2 and 3 course deals before 7). Buffet breakfast was very good. There is a starbucks and also a bar. Great location for visiting the surrounding area. The only down side was we were in a room next to the staff room but our child gets up early anyway so being woken up at 7.15 is the norm. Would definately stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed for a weekend with my family. The pool was excellent very clean and my little girl had so much fun in the bubble pool. Food was fresh and tasty. Staff friendly, room comfortable and modern. What more could you want from a relaxing weekend away. Will be returning. Thanks! :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. Really glad that you and your family enjoyed your time and I hope to welcome you back to the Village soon
Kindest Regards

Reviewed September 1, 2011

I have been staying here for six months now. I am working in Coventry until April 2012 and you will not find me staying anywhere else. I work as a freelance IT Consultant so have to sqeeze value and quality from my booking. I have both here! I have stayed at all of the hotels in Coventry spanning the last ten years with The Village being the only one I will return to.
The staff here are fantastic, from the reception to the cleaners. Worthy of seperate mention is the Verve. The food is great quality and comes in a variety to suit most tastes. And again the staff are fantastic. I would not recommend anywhere else!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind review. At the hotel we constantly monitor the comments made on Tripadvisor to help us to improve our service and facilities to our guests. I will certainly ensure the team here see your comments.
Thank you once again and here's to another 6 months.
Kind regards

Reviewed August 28, 2011

Just got back from fantastic break recharging batteries at Village Coventry.

Check in was great and completely hassle free with any queries answered promptly and knowledgably thanks to Richard Hambridge.

The room was if anything too comfortable, the beds and matresses are top of the range and unusually for hotels so are the pillows! Trouble is beds so comfortable would have been quite happy to sleep the whole break! Room lovely and clean - no problems at all.

As with majority of hotels nowadays only comment is shoratge of drinks sachets for the tea/coffee making in room. Hotel quite willing to speedily provide extra if requested. We always take a few extra when travelling in any case.

We had requested a quiet room and that is exactly what we got, though I do think the problem concurrent in all hotels has to be the serial door slammer who thinks they have hired a whole floor at a hotel with no consideration for other guests. We were lucky to have considerate other guests on this occasion though.

Found the staff - all the staff even the young ones quite early at both breakfast times, to be polite, helpful, courteous and pleasant and the breakfasts have lots of choice from fresh fruit to full english. The toast machines mean that you have fresh toast instead of the obligatory keep warm cardboard! Pop your toast in go and get your breakfast and toast is done on your return - couldnt be easier.

Chose to eat evening meal in Victory pub, good choice and reasonable price and the young bar lad who waited on us couldnt have been more helpful, including seeing if and when we needed any drinks to save tripping to the bar during our meal.

Overall a brilliant hotel experience - came back home refreshed, relaxed and wishing we had stopped much longer if commitments had allowed.

Well done management and staff for the excellent team work that made this stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
DamianGoom, General Manager at Village Hotel Coventry, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very kind review. After three weeks at the hotel it is good to hear that the improvements we are trying to make are starting to show.

I know what you mean about the beds, I am quite often tempted to 'borrow' one for home!

I will be sure to pass on your comments and look forward to welcoming back in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 27, 2011

The room, 238, was okay but the bathroom was in need of repair. The floor tiles were all cracked with one of them loose and the grouting was missing. reported it to reception and they said that they would send a handyman, who to our knowledge did not appear!

We ate in the restaurant on the first night and although the steak was undercooked on the first occasion, the food was good and the manager who dealt with the undercooked steak was excellent . The breakfast was good with a range of alternatives.

Dear Traveller
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay and I am please you have said that you will return.
One of my first jobs when starting here 3 weeks ago was to survey every room in the building. This identified a number of problems with bathroom floors that needed regrouting and tiles that needed replacing. These have been started this week and should be complete by the end of next week. My apologies that this hadn't been carried out sooner.
With regards to your kind comments regarding the Restaurant Manager and breakfast, I will be sure to pass these on.
Thank you for your constructive feedback
Kind Regards