“Pleasant”

Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Pleasant”
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Although I'm not a supporter of the stereo type group hotel, I found my experience here most enjoyable, friendly staff, good food, prompt service, comfortable meeting rooms and surprisingly a quiet atmosphere despite location and volumes of people using the venue.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Kidderminster, Worcs.
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I stayed last weekend with my husband, sister and brother-in-law. On booking I went through their booking agency, who said for £10 more I could have an upgraded room. I asked what this was for and they said it had been redecorated and refurbished. So I paid this. On getting there we were put at the back of the hotel. The room was allegedly bigger, but had no way been refurbished. I asked at reception and they said had I stayed recently in 'The Village' in Blackpool, and I said yes. The obnoxious manager called Paul, said well that has had a 1.5 million refurb and we haven't. I said regardless I was told when booking in that it had been refurbed and had paid the extra. He said they (the booking people) have nothing to do with us, they are the booking agency. Strangely it was the number their website had given. Then in the evening we had decided to use their restaurant, because the hotel wasn't very busy we didn't think we needed to book. We then found out at 8pm that the restaurant staff had been sent home as they had no bookings. I again spoke to Paul (the manager) and he said it is in their terms and conditions that they can close at 8.30 pm if no customers, I pointed out that it was only 8pm. He simply shrugged. No apologies, what kind of hotel simply closes it restaurant with no warning. Someone could have come into the bar, and discretely asked if anyone had plans to dine their that night. No they simply closed the restaurant. At this time it was decided to cut our losses and eat in the bar, even though the menu was very basic. Well the night just gets better. My husband and brother-in-law order burgers with chips. My sister asked for a cheese and onion sandwich with a bowl of chips, and I opted for the Vege-burger. My vegeburger had most definitely been griddled with the mens meat burgers because I could taste meat. I have been vege for over 30 years so I know the difference. My sisters sandwich was absolutely appalling. It had obviously had been made many hours previously, as the edges of the bread were stale, and the inside of the sandwich was mushy. So we spoke to the Australian barman, and he felt the sandwiches and said they were alright. What planet does he come from, he then said my burger had not been done with the meat burgers because they deep fry all the vegetarian burgers in the main chip fryer. Actually that in itself is appalling as why should the vegetarian burger be deep fried?? Haven't they got a separate griddle for vegeburgers? is it that hard to do?? I told him that whatever the cook (and I use that term lightly) had said he lies, as I can definitely taste meat. Also forgot to mention that the chips were stone cold. My sister then had to go to reception to get a refund on her card. She again spoke to Paul (the manager) who again asked what the problem was. As she was reiterating, the barman (aussie) followed her out and then contradicted my sister, stating there was nothing wrong with the sandwich. What kind of hotel allows it's staff to argue with the customer. My sister told the barman to shut up. So my sister and myself went hungry, it was too late to go out and find some food. My sister then asked her husband to order a cappucinno, but they said their machine was broken. The barmen a few minutes later came to our table and asked if we wanted tea or coffee, he obviously thought it very funny to do this, when they had just told us their machine was broken. By this time my sister walked out of the bar. We then witnessed this same barman giving lemonade to customers regardless of his colleague stating the lemonade was out. He shrugged and carried on, knowing the lemonade was simply water. I have no idea what the customer care or service is like in Australia, but this barman is atrocious. We had joined my sister and her husband for one night at this hotel, and frankly what a waste of money. On leaving the hotel I noticed they do not ask if you had a pleasant stay, because they are probably afraid of the answers. This place is the absolute pitts, and nothing you would expect of a DeVere Hotel. The staff are rude, obnoxious and need some definite retraining, as for the Australian Barman he simply needs replacing.

Room Tip: No tip, just don't stay here at all!!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank kal_F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2011

If you're not depressed when you arrive, you will be when you leave. Walk into the restaurant and have one of the girls scowl as she leads you to a table as if to an execution. We asked if we could sit outside, she said she supposed so. The most unpleasant girl is, apparently, in charge. Check in with one of the guys who does that wonderfully contemptuous thing of looking over your shoulder while delivering monotonous instructions. Hospitality! What on earth are these people doing working in an industry where they're supposed to be pleasant and polite? How did they ever get taken on? I called reception from my room one evening to ask to be put through to a colleague's room. No answer after ten minutes, I called again the next morning - no answer after fifteen minutes, so I called the outside line from my mobile and when I eventually got through I explained to the young man what had been happening. Apology - no way. I blame the management entirely. They have taken on the wrong staff and when they've got them, have failed to train them. This hotel sums up everything we do wrong in the UK in the hospitality industry, we just haven't got a clue. How hard is it to tell your staff to smile? I'd recommend the management does a secret shopper and see for themselves how surly they are. One last thing - paper thin walls and flooring - person overhead paced all night and person to my right coughed all night!

Room Tip: DOn't go
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank stobart
Yorkshire
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We stayed here for a night before going to an NEC event. Booked as the hotel has a swimming pool. Arrived at 7pm, swimming pool closed to under 16s from 5pm- but they're happy to charge full price to over 12s to stay in the hotel. Staff not really interested in listening. Avoid.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Golfseeker
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Poor facilities, not clean and after an very disapointing stay they then overcharged us. We faced rude and abusive management when we tried to resolve the mater which only made the experience worse.

I certianly will be avoiding the place in the future. I was particularly disapointed as a colleague recomended the venue having used it a few years ago. I guess as employees and managers change, the service does too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Fredie57
Coventry
Reviewed March 31, 2011

The pool, gym, fitness classes and instructors are really good here, and the environment is clean, well presented and fit for purpose. But be sure to check and double check all of your needs and conditions of membership at this hotels fitness club, as sales are facilitated and processed by ill informed staff. Queries and difficulties arise from the poor knowledge and customer service skills of frontline staff, which have been observed routinely. The defensive corporate approach of management does nothing to temper this negative experience. All in all the attitude here takes the leisure out of using the facilities.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Bee6666
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Just back after the weekend and cannot believe how much has changed at the village since my last visit. There was no toiletries in my room, streaky towels and a contempt for guests.
Prices have also changed with a 1.75 charge on the ATM and do not attempt to try a get a drink after 12 at the bar, resident or not.

The breakfast buffet was excellent with some really nice non greasy fare but when I stopped a member of staff entering my room at 11.45am, he told me I should have been gone at 12?

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple