“Average as expected”

Cocked Hat
Ranked #423 of 585 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This place is at the moment on your system as a hotel,however I eat here on a regular bases in the restaurant and I have to say the food is excellent,especially the steak !!
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We went here for dinner because it was the only other restaurant (apart from TGI Fridays) around the area. It's a dressed up pub restaurant with your standard deep fried food, steak and hamburgers. Service is ordered at the bar and was delivered quite quickly to the table. It's pleasant and clean. I had the grilled mushrooms for starters which was nice and the spaghetti bolognese for mains which was quite flat/average. Reasonably priced food although expected if you want something simple.

There are newer reviews for Cocked Hat

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Ate here on a Saturday evening, glad we had booked as was full. Food is normal pub food, bis selection and enjoyed what we choose.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

A busy Fayre & Square Pub restaurant, but we waited for 1 hour for our food to arrive, breakfast was OK, but we chose to dine out on the second evening

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went here for lunch on Sunday after waking up worse-for-wear and craving a burger or steak. We were going to go to the Harvester on Kenpas Highway but, remembering some bad reviews of the place, decided to try the Cocked Hat instead.

We were surprised at how cheap the food was, but I know why now: the quality is terrible.

The staff were very friendly, apart from the sullen boy who served the food. All the other women we were served by were great. However the tables had a whiff of dirty-mop, and the laminated menus were tacky-to-touch and designed like a kiddies menu.

The combo starter was great value for money and not too bad (apart from the minute chicken wings which tasted of very dubious quality to me).

The main, however, was not good. The plate was cold, the chips on both our plates were lukewarm at best. My burger was not very tasty, burnt in places and presented as if it had liternally been thrown on the plate. My partner's mixed combo was a bit better and the steak was great and cooked perfectly (rare verging on blue).

Would definitely not go back willingly. I would rather pay an extra £5 or so per main and get a better quality meal.

4  Thank TeamAmy
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am a regular visitor of The Cocked Hat and I have to say, my last trip was extremely disappointing.

It was relatively busy when we arrived, but not as busy as I have previously seen it. After ordering our food, we had to wait an hour for it to be served. We had even asked what the waiting time was and were told that it was just the cooking time. After half an hour, we asked where our food was and were told it was 'on it's way'. It didn't arrive for a further 30 minutes, making the waiting time for our main meals just over an hour.

My father ordered a mixed grill, and every single piece of meat on the plate was stone cold. He complained about this and had it sent back. It arrived back within ten minutes cooked properly, but it is a disappointment that we had already waited an hour and then the food was not to satisfaction.

However, we then ordered a desert. All we ordered were two ice cream sundaes. By this time, the restaurant was nearly completely empty. After 20 minutes of waiting, we asked where they were and the staff had forgotten about our order. They finally arrived half an hour after ordering, and then the orders were wrong. We had ordered two plain chocolate ice cream sundaes with no cream. One arrived correctly, and the other arrived as a mix of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry, covered in cream. We told the waitress that the order was wrong and she offered to change it, but we said we didn't want to wait another half an hour. No apology was given.

Upon collecting our dishes, another waitress asked if we had enjoyed the evening and we said no and told her everything that was wrong with it. She apologised and asked if we wanted to speak to her manager. We said that we would like to, and she went off to get him. We waited a further half an hour and the manager never came, so we left feeling very disappointed with our night out.

I am a regular visitor but I don't think I'll be going back again.

4  Thank ClarehTM