“Room was fine but Terrible Night Receptionist (John)”

Premier Inn Coventry South (A45) Hotel
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Most of the staff were friendly and professional but John, the night receptionist was very rude.
1/ We had prebooked a taxi before arriving, when I rang to confirm the time at 11pm (it was for 12midnight) I was told to ring them myself as he was busy.
2/ The taxi didn't turn up and I couldn't get through on their numbers, I rang John to ask for assistance and was again told to sort it out myself. We are not from this area so didn't have alternative numbers. Why does the Premier Inn offer this service if they can't/won't help?
3/ John complained repeatedly while we were checking in about having to cover for his colleague's shift, (Paul? whose daughter was having a baby). John was not happy about working this shift and told everyone about it. Very unprofessional.
4/ Upon checking in we were immediately told about a robbery in another customer's room. This did not make us feel safe. We therefore checked our room when we arrvied and there was an issue with the locks between the itnerconnecting rooms. I asked for John's help and was told that I had caused him lots of trouble and why was I 'playing with the locks' and he would now have to fix this. We managed to fix this ourselves while waiting for John to return but when he did come back he was quite rude again, accused my friend of swearing (she said 'for pete's sake') and then said to my other friend 'you're drunk'.

John was repeatedly rude to us when we asked for assistance, either with the taxi, checking in or the locks on the room. He was patronising, rude and sexist and seemed to think that as we were 3 women checking in at 1am (we had been to a wedding) we must be drunk and therefore treated us with disdain. This is not acceptable service and John is an unprofessional and rude member of your staff.

The rooms themselves were fine and it was only John who offered terrible customer service, all the other staff were friendly but unfortunately John is the main one we dealt with and he did not make a good impression.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank JennyH_42
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Coventry South (A45) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We met with Premier Inn's usual helpful and friendly staff - not many places allow you to park your (wet & muddy) bikes in the office ... and they were more than happy to chat about where to go & what to see. no wonder we supported their charity fund-raising event.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Definitely recommend a stay here, staff were very friendly and helpful and genuinely pleased when my son entered a martial arts competition and came 1st in Grappling category! We will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I last reviewed this hotel in May 2013 and concluded that it was a “Quiet hotel, excellent service with friendly but professional staff"

Since then, I have continued staying there on weekday nights, a total of 5 months. Sadly, I have just checked out for the last time due to moving office

The staff here form a great team that really understands what customer satisfaction is all about. OK, so this is fairly standard Premier Inn, but when you are staying somewhere for this long, it is the staff and the service that make all the difference.

My room was always properly prepared and cleaned, breakfasts continued to be freshly cooked and quickly delivered, taxis booked for me, a friendly "have a good day" on departure, and a friendly "how was your day" on arrival. It really was the next best thing to home!

I only had one minor problem throughout my stay - with the shower. This was fixed quickly, before my next use of the shower, without disturbing me.

I wish all the staff the best for the future and thank them for looking after me so well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Bernard H
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The usual that you'd expect from a premier inn. Comfy bed, decent breakfast, friendly staff. No character and not much nearby for food. There is a harvester, but I'm not a fan. Good for one night stay for business trip to Warwick or Coventry

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 29, 2013

You really can't go wrong with Premier inn. The price is excellent and the staff always ready to help. We found the room clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was perhaps a little shabbier than some we have stayed in but was perfectly clean.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jerahaldi
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel is accessible on the main highway and is suitably located between the Coventry city centre and Warwick. Howeer, you could easily miss the access road to the hotel if you are new. The rooms are comfortable, however I was carrying heavy luggage and the hotel didnt have a lift/ any convenience which could have reduced my effort in transporting my luggage to the first floor. The breakfast was basic yet well cooked. Recommended for only short stays.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business