“Enjoyed by all”

Ranked #127 of 594 Restaurants in Coventry
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Went with friends on Saturday night, and much enjoyed, meat sharing board to start, excellent, followed by various steaks, fish and chips, and a pizza. All very good. The only down side was that they wouldn't serve draft beer upstairs due to health and safety, so we had to queue downstairs, while our food went cold upstairs. Price we felt was fair.

4  Thank ruthpaul
MillsysManagment, General Manager at Millsy's Cafe Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind feedback.
Although we offer bottled beer alternatives I do understand your frustration if you prefer draft beer and have to go downstairs.
I am looking into safer ways for staff to serve draft products upstairs.
Thank you again for your constructive feedback, hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Eaten here on quite a few occasions and always enjoy it.

Wether its for breakfast, lunch or dinner, the food is always of a solid standard and is good place to enjoy a meal and a bottle of a wine for a couple.

Deals in the week are good, 2 meals and a bottle of wine for 23quid.

Recommended

4  Thank ThomasAlcock
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Second visit on a Sunday for brunch. Whilst the food is typically average. The service is poor. Despite being asked to take a seat nobody came to take our order. So went to the bar to order. They did not have 1 of the drinks requested. The barmaid offered no alternative until prompted by myself. Once the food order came the waiting staff did not ask if we needed anything else.which we did (butter for the toast, which my ppartner had to go and fetch). When they came back to clear the table. They only cleared half of it. The waiting staff looked at the empty glasses and walked away without checking to see if more drinks were required. So I had to go to the bar again. In short the food is average and staff need training in the basics of customer service.

Thank you for your feedback, I take positive and negative comments as seriously as one another.
Sorry to hear on this occasion we have not met your service expectations.
Your feedback is extremely important to me as I do continuous staff training to improve service standards and your main points will be highlighted to all the staff to make sure yourself or any other customers do not receive this sub-par service in the future.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I went to Millsy's on Saturday night with a couple of friends and my partner. We'd prebooked a table, hich was good as it was very busy. I'd not been upstairs to the main restaurant before and was surprised at how different the atmosphere was to the bar downstairs (upstairs is a lot nicer, in my opinion).

It was a bit confusing when we got there, as we were told to sit on the 'waiting area' sofas, given menus to look at, and then our drinks orders taken straight away. When the drinks were brought, the waiter asked if we wanted to have them there or at our table - why didnt they just sit us at our table, which was ready, to start with? Very confusing.

That summed up the service for the evening, really. There must have been at least 6 staff working, and we had things from every one of them. We had to ask for the bill three times, as each waiter/waitress wandered off and never returned (obviously in no rish to take £150 from us). We had to ask for more drinks each time; at no point did any of the waiting staff notice our empty glasses or wine bottles. This seems crazy, as we would probably have bought another bottle of wine if they'd have been more on the ball. One waiter was really nice and polite, but the others were either going through the motions, chatting, or darting from table to table.

The food was nice, and I would say definitely good quality bistro-style food. Having lived in Manchester for 8 years before moving back to Cov, it's bizarre to me that there arent more places like this in Coventry - it's a standard bar/bistro. I think it may be a touch overpriced, but I was certainly happy with the price charged for what I had.

The rib-eye steak was really delicious and cooked well (just slightly overdone but no real damage), and the fries were lovely. Starter/appetiser sizes were good, too; we all really enjoyed the wild mushroom risotto balls, though the lemon and balsamic dip was far too astringent.

If Millsy's were in a bigger city with more competition then it wouldn't be the best at what it does. But for Coventry, which lacks this particular type of relaxed bistro-style dining, it's pretty good. I just think the service needs to be taken up a gear or two to do it justice.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I've been to Millsy's twice with my boyfriend, being one of the few dining options in the area. I've heard a some friends talking positively about it, but I can't say I agree. Sure the atmosphere is nice, but the food in overpriced and overrated. Last sunday I ordered the three-courses sunday meal, and though the starter was nice (salmon and prawn with mini-blinis), the pork roast was poor, overcook, and not tasty at all, I've had so much better elsewere. Also, I had to wait about 20 minutes for my starter, and other 20 for the mains even though it wasn't really busy. The menu mentioned some canape nibbles, but I didn't see any at all..
On the bright side, the chocolate tart was nice.
I don't think I will come back on my initiative, after all.