“Sunday Lunch”

Dining options: Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed August 31, 2014

We took some friends out to lunch so that we didn't have the bother of cooking. This pub is 'just around the corner' from us - so is within walking distance. The Sunday Roast specials were fine and between us we had the beef, pork and chicken dishes, all proved to adequate with plenty of meat (well done chef!). We sat outside as we had the dogs with us. There was plenty of seating - quite a bit of it in the shade from the sun. The waiting staff were friendly and chatty and flexible with the menu. Good value and we will be returning (with or without friends) in the future.

• Visited August 2014

“What has happened?”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I remember coming here on a Sunday night last year, and there was a decent crowd. Now it has a sporadic few tables of customers, and no atmosphere at all. There was usually some music on in the background, but now nothing - silence. Not really how I want to spend an evening. Having been at The Burnt Post (also an Ember Inns) on the same evening - I know where I'll be returning to!!

3 Thank Ginger257
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Super service and cracking value.”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Nice clean well looked after pub. Very polite staff. Good food and cracking value. Day time menu 3 courses for £8.50. Worth a visit and will be back.

1 Thank Simon S
West Midlands
“Most Ironic Pub Name Ever!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Walked in with my wife looking forward to a nice meal and a pint at dinnertime. One barmaid serving a couple of groups of people. After 5 minutes of waiting she wandered over to where we were stood and started pulling another customers pint.

She looked as though she was about to speak ... perhaps a 'hello sir' or 'sorry to keep you waiting sir' or 'be with you in a minute sir' ? .... No, the barmaid without a hint of a smile, greeted her first time visitor with a brusque and stern 'Can you take your hat off at the bar please'. To put that into context - I am in my 50's and was wearing a smart, black and rather pricey mercedes benz cap. I have worn caps at countless pubs around the country without a problem. This is not the Dorchester we are talking about - it's a piddly pub in the middle of Coventry, at dinnertime, with only a few souls present.

Needless to say it was exit left. The one star is for saving me the cost of two meals which looking at other reviews, are as bad as the attitude I was shown.

• Visited July 2014
8 Thank Sean D
coventry
“Lousy ! Don't make the effort to go - you been warned”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Got carried away with another Ember Inns Pub (the Green Man in Kenilworth) - and stupidly
thinking the standards would be the same at other establishments.

All in all, the most inept display of customer care and couldnt care less attitude and ironically the pub is called OPEN ARMS - they were not last night !

I had their 2 course deal, consisting of Nachos (but arrived at my table as mushrooms and i was blamed for ordering the wrong starter) they eventually played ball and managed to bring Nachos to me - which to be honest were good - but how can you go wrong on a plate of "crisps" out of a packet a sprinking of cheese !

My mains order was the 8oz rump - requested as RARE. Alas, delivered our table very WELL DONE and thought i would give it a try, however "tough as old boots" and would not give it to a dog even.. The waitress asked if I wanted a replacement or refund - I originally asked for a replacement, but then alarms bells started ringing with her next question which was as to
which 8oz rump steak did I order, the one from the main memu OR the one from the 2 course deal menu. (both are 100% identical in terms of description as to what they come with etc)

I pointed this fact about them being the same to the waitress, but she was adamant that I informed her which one. She them squirmed when i asked if a more inferior cut or fresher meat was served depending on which answer i gave. At this point I told her to give me a refund as i did not trust what they (Ember Inns) were upto.

Needless to say, wont be going their again and now thinking Ember Inns in decline and wonder is their policy for the rest of their establishments. Not gonna bother again.

However, dont expect them to be bothered based on last nights reactions !!

• Visited July 2014