“Great value!”
Review of Cocked Hat

Cocked Hat
Ranked #22 of 39 Hotels in Coventry
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really like the cocked hat. Stay here for business in Coventry. Good price and comfortable rooms. I have dinner and a nice bottle of wine in the restaurant and then a good nights sleep. Don't expect anything to fancy but it's great for the money!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for a few days when in Coventry.

Convenient location, clean and comfortable hotel. Room was a decent size with everything I needed.

Pub/restaurant immediately next door which was handy as there was no lounge/bar area in the hotel, reasonably priced and food was perfectly fine.

My room was directly above reception and there was some noise from people coming and going, along with the smokers outside the pub, but nothing that disturbed my sleep.

Friendly service from all staff. Just the job for £40 a night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed one night on route to Silverstone. Room was £40 without breakfast included.

On approaching the Hotel the old restaurant building looks nice but as it's on a very busy roundabout I was immediately worried.

After parking up the hotel is actually a modernish extension to the back of the pub complex, much akin to a Premier Inn style.

At the check in desk the receptionist was very warm, friendly and helpful. As we were on motorbikes she also informed us that where our bikes where was covered by CCTV (a big plus!)

No credit cards were requested on check in and we were given the option of booking breakfast until we mentioned that we would be leaving pretty early.

I was allotted room 14. I have to say the bed was fine, if a little soft but the furniture was pretty tired. The ceiling tiles were quite badly stained which really let the room down. Also the room was pretty dark even with the lights and lamp on!

The bathroom was spotlessly clean and the shower pressure was good.

Due to wanting an early start I went to bed early but due to inconsiderate guests allowing the fire doors in the corridors to slam (poor hinges??) my sleep was both disturbed late on and at around 5am by the same selfish idiots!

Check out was with another staff member who was equally polite and friendly

In a word this hotel is great for a no frills stop over but do not expect anything flash

Room Tip: Avoid 16 - has a garden area but has been used by heavy smokers
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here as we were visiting Coventry for the day. We weren't expecting much for £35.
When we arrived in our room there was mould on the wall and it was stiflingly hot even though there were no radiators on. We opened the windows and went to the pub attached for an evening meal which was again what you expect for the money. We went back to our room and during the night we were woken up by drunken guests. The noise from these guests went on well into the early hours so we called the number for the night porter and he said he'd look into it. He either didn't bother or they took no notice as the noise continued. Eventually we gave up and decided to drive home so at 1.30am we packed up and left rather than stay there getting no sleep.
I know this is a value hotel but I don't think that means you should expect a terrible stay. I'd rather pay a bit more and have a nice night.

• Stayed: August 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Cocked Hat, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear 697MrsC, thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. Your comments were a concern to hear and I would like to investigate your comments further with the Management Team of the pub. I have sent you a direct message to discuss this further and look forward to hearing from you soon. Kind Regards, Good Night Inns

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I picked this hotel almost purely on location, to break up a long journey. Located conveniently just off the A46, the room we stayed in seemed to have been recently updated and was comfortable and quiet. The associated Brewers Fayre that shares the site is ok, but not really to the same standard as the hotel, which is a shame.

Rated good rather than excellent, because the room we were first given wasn't made up. However, the receptionist dealt with it very well and gave us a different room straight away.

I don't know why the hotel's own website is so reluctant to tell where the hotel actually is. For any other potential travellers, not only should you ignore the address postcode, but also ignore the satnav alternative postcode on the website directions - as likely as not that will just take you to the wrong side of the A46, as it did us. Instead, turn off the A46 onto the A428 in the direction of Coventry, then take the very first left, which comes before the next roundabout, and you are there. There's a good sized car park that's shared with the pub/restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EnglishTraveller00
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in Cocked hat to break up our trip from Suffolk. We wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful and this is exactly what it was.

It DOES need a bit of updating. The corridors certainly didn't reflect the quality of the room. There were a few things in the room that needed sorting - ie the shower gel and hand wash were broken but seriously, not the end of the world.

REALLY comfy bed. Hot because you couldn't open the windows fully and there was a towel heater on full blast you couldn't turn down but still not a major problem.

Food at the restaurant was good, they were super busy and we had to a wait a little bit but then who cares, we were out to enjoy ourselves not shove food down our necks and rush off. Starter was a bit cold but the staff were friendly and all in all, a nice meal (and starters,mains and a bottle of wine for two =£26 bargain).

Reception staff were also VERY pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rachp11
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Had to wait 10 minutes to place an order and then a further 55 minutes for food to arrive! Whilst my meal was good, my wife's was dry after probably being kept warm for a long period. Wouldn't recommend to anyone, and certainly, we'll not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Cocked Hat, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear ajmsa1,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Cocked Hat in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards