“very nice veggie christmas menu”
Review of Blue Bistro - CLOSED

Blue Bistro
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the Blue Bistro restaurant we offer a fabulous menu featuring modern British cuisine with a Mediterranean twist, based upon great, preferably local, seasonal ingredients, ethically sourced and cooked with passion. Despite the quality of our food, it is still possible to lunch at Blue for a fiver. Awards include the Warwickshire & Worcestershire Life Food & Drink Newcomer of the Year 2012 and an OpenTable Diners Award as one of the top ten most romantic restaurants in the UK and Ireland. The dining area at Blue covers two floors of a beautiful medieval building dating back to 1450, the exposed beams of which are complemented by striking wooden furniture to create an elegant ambiance and a unique dining experience. The building was formerly a pub called the Green Dragon - reputedly the model for the inn featured in George Eliot's Middlemarch.The restaurant is situated on the historic Spon Street, in Coventry City Centre, an easy walk from the Belgrade Theatre, the Skydome and its Odeon cinema, Ikea and, of course, Coventry Cathedral.We have good disabled facilities, but if you have mobility issues please let us know to ensure that your table is not upstairs!Unlike many restaurants, we are happy to welcome children.
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My son decided to come home for the day to celebrate his birthday. We couldn't get a dinner reservation so went for lunch instead. Having looked on this site for recommendations I went to their website to check the veggie food offerings as this was our first visit. I was pleasantly surprised.

We had the five course Christmas lunch menu and were very pleased with it. I hope the standard is the same throughout the year as I would love to go again. The vegetarian main course was excellent although I would have preferred a different mix of veg with it but that is just my personal preferences. I don't much care for mangetout and would have preferred 'proper' peas.

The dessert choice was good. I had two glasses of wine , one white, one red and both were very good. My husband ordered the cheese for dessert and this was supposed to come with a glass of port. which was destined for me as he was driving. They told us they were out of port so offered a substitute. I had a brandy instead and was given a choice of which one.

I have read comments about the service here. when we arrived there were two other tables occupied and by the end we were alone. We went in at 1.50 for a 2pm booking and emerged just after 4.30. Yes, the service was a little slow but it did not bother us. In fact, we liked having a long leisurely lunch. had we had somewhere to go it might have been an issue but , in fairness, we gave the staff no indication of being in any hurry so don't know what they would have done if we had. I certainly found it nice that we were given plenty of time to make our selections as sometimes I find the waiting staff too eager to take the orders.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed the visit and would very much like to go back.

1  Thank JEBLLB

Reviewed December 16, 2013

so most of my eating and dining is in London becuse of work, however when I'm back in Cov Blue has never failed. In fact it's been the match of most of the London eateries I love, Sardo et al. Tonight food and service exceptional, lets the flavours speak for themselves and service outstanding. Seen the negsative reviews about service and worried tonight, however subject to the odd Medieaval beal getting in the way of eye sight...exceptional.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Spon Street is a little gem in Coventry with lots of olde buildings and some fantastic food. Blue Bistro definitely fits in! The decor is fantastic and can be romantic or just a nice place to go. For us, we wanted to go somewhere a little different for our anniversary and this seemed perfect. The food was fantastic, and reasonably priced for the sort of place this is - 5 course Christmas meal and a bottle of wine was £30 each. The atmosphere was great and the staff very friendly and helpful. Had to book reasonably far in advance as it is a very popular place, but it is definitely worth it! Thanks

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Last here in its last incarnation as 1450, which was an excellent restaurant. Blue falls well short of that, in fact it never lifts off to fall anywhere. Our server tried very hard but couldn't cope, even though the place was nowhere full. So, the service was poor, but the food was poorer. Soup was ok, but you can't really cock that up. Bread was plain, no butter or oil offered. The turkey was what you'd expect from a large hotel restaurant, i.e. Bland and tasteless. Salmon was overcooked and veg came from a frozen value pack. Blue does have a great range of beers, many British and the decor is attractive, but that's all it has going for it.

2  Thank Allan C
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I went to the Blue-Bistro last night, my first visit under current management. I wanted it to be rather special as, because of conflict of interests, it was to be my only Christmas meal with friends. The evening lived up to all expectations; a good choice of menu, reasonable price, excellent service and superb food.

1  Thank Beveren22