“Good value”

Blue Bistro
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: At the Blue Bistro restaurant we offer a fabulous menu featuring modern British cuisine with a Mediterranean twist, based upon great, preferably local, seasonal ingredients, ethically sourced and cooked with passion. Despite the quality of our food, it is still possible to lunch at Blue for a fiver. Awards include the Warwickshire & Worcestershire Life Food & Drink Newcomer of the Year 2012 and an OpenTable Diners Award as one of the top ten most romantic restaurants in the UK and Ireland. The dining area at Blue covers two floors of a beautiful medieval building dating back to 1450, the exposed beams of which are complemented by striking wooden furniture to create an elegant ambiance and a unique dining experience. The building was formerly a pub called the Green Dragon - reputedly the model for the inn featured in George Eliot's Middlemarch.The restaurant is situated on the historic Spon Street, in Coventry City Centre, an easy walk from the Belgrade Theatre, the Skydome and its Odeon cinema, Ikea and, of course, Coventry Cathedral.We have good disabled facilities, but if you have mobility issues please let us know to ensure that your table is not upstairs!Unlike many restaurants, we are happy to welcome children.
Banbury
“Good value”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We went for early evening Bluebird menu which was very good value, the a la carte looked a bit expensive . However we did feel that the main courses were a bit ordinary, not very imaginative. We had attentive ,friendly service.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Gourmet if you want but beenz available too”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Chose this place off the net for lunch. Situated in medieval Spon Street, the restaurant building dates from 1450 and has maintained the character, great surroundings. Initially put off by the prices on the menus outside we ventured in to find a new menu with a large selection of reasonably priced dishes. Everything is available from the full sophisticated 3 course fayre, lighter meals such as gourmet burgers and "sandwiches" through to an excellent sausage , egg, beans and chips. It's plain that everthing is freshly prepared by hand and very tasty. Hand cut chips are still delivered by the bowlful (none of the 6 neatly stacked on the side nonsense) and onion rings the size of the sideplate. 4 of us with 2 rounds of soft drinks, all had a single course with extra chips and a single soup starter came to £45 total. The food was very tasty, hot and served with a smile . . . we will return.

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good value for early dining.”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We tried the fixed Bluebird menu, which is served up to 7pm. The choice is limited for vegetarians, as one might expect on a fixed menu, and despite it being early in the evening, some items on the menu had run out. However, good marks for customer service in being able to substitute a starter from the a la carte. On the whole the food was very good, my pork chop was slightly overcooked and there was not much evidence of pesto and mozzerella, but on the whole it was enjoyable. The starters were good, mains were small and not overpowering but the deserts were huge and rich. I was expecting a much lighter version of a dark chocolate mousse, as mine was more like a ganache and a little too rich. However, these small issues aside, it was a very good dining experience and I would definitely recommend this menu. The a la carte menu is more expensive however, averaging about £20 for a main which is more than one would usually pay in Coventry. However, the quality is much higher.

coventry
“Five star food, one star service”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My partner and I visited Blue Bistro for an early lunch on a Saturday. We didn't get off to a great start. I had checked in advance that the restaurant opened at noon. We arrived at 12.06 and the door was firmly locked. It was opened shortly afterwards. In the hour that we were in the restaurant, there was only one other table of diners.

I ordered a glass of wine. It tasted off (as thought the bottle had been open for a long time). However, when we told the server, the glass of wine was instantly replaced and the replacement wine was delicious. The wine list looked excellent.

We ordered starters. I ordered whitebait and my partner selected fresh figs wrapped in parma ham. My whitebait arrived first. It was lovely, with homemade tartar sauce. We were expecting the other dish to arrive immediately. We waited five minutes and my whitebait was getting cold so I ate it. After another ten minutes the other starter had still not arrived and the server was taking no notice of us even though we were the only customers in the restaurant so I got up, went to the bar where she was talking and asked her what was happening regarding the other starter. After a further five minutes, it arrived.

Throughout our meal, the server stood at the bar talking to another employee in a loud voice. She was in this conversation for most of the time we were in the restaurant. She made us feel that she wasn't bothered about her only customers, she was much more interested in her conversation.

The main course arrived. All of the food was delicious. I had fish which was baked in a silver foil parcel with green beans. It was a very simple dish but cooked beautifully. My partner had a homemade pork burger which he said was also excellent. For dessert we shared the cheese plate; three lovely cheeses, high quality chutney, different kinds of biscuits and grapes.

I ordered English breakfast tea to end the meal. It came in a lovely big pot which is just what I like. However, both the rim of the pot and the lid were chipped. I would never serve tea out of a chipped teapot at home so why should I be expected to use chipped crockery in a restaurant?

How did the experience make me feel as a customer? Please remember Blue Bistro that you will only thrive as a business if you delight your customers. We are your primary purpose for being there and we deserve your attention. Please don't treat your cusomers as an afterthought.

I don't think we will go to the Blue Bistro again. It is such a shame. Coventry is a big city and it is crying out for good restaurants. This place has so much potential but was badly let down by front of house service.

3 Thank helencoventry
“Delight”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

At last..... a Chef that knows the difference between medium rare and well done. Both the starters were delicious, and the mains were cooked perfectly, pink but not bloody in the middle. We went on a deal with travelzoo and got 2 courses and 2 glasses of fizz for £40. Excellent.