“Good food but a bit pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Akbar

Akbar
Ranked #68 of 568 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good food but a bit pricey”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We visited Akbar's on a Friday night having pre-booked a table for four at 7:30. First of all, parking is a bit of a problem in the area so leave plenty of time. The restaurant is modern, well lit, clean and quite spacious. Lots of staff around and we were shown to our table as soon as our friends arrived. The menu was really extensive and we ended up having a set non vegetarian meal because we couldn't choose. The service was excellent - speedy without being rushed. The food was really good quality and beautifully flavoured. There was far too much and the Jalfrezi was probably a bit too hot for our liking. However the naan bread was gorgeous. I feel a bit bad marking down for price but £50 for a set meal for two plus two beers and dome water seems quite steep.

1 Thank Rachael B

east sussex
“a nice surprise”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

this is a very modern,stylish Indian restaurant and is clearly popular with the locals, I counted more than 10 staff not including any kitchen staff and all were kept busy all evening. A Saturday night its true but VERY busy yet I was shown quickly to a table and the service was quick and helpful. The food was a cut above the usual with a few interesting house specials,and the price a little lower than I expected.Yes I would eat there again...

Visited November 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great food, nice restaurant”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I visited Coventry overnight whilst visiting family, we found the restaurant by chance and decided to give it a go. The fact that the restaurant gave complimentary car parking in the hotel opposite helped as it was a very busy Saturday night with no parking available in the street. We did not have a reservation but we were shown to a table straight away. The food was a fantastic standard, one of the best Indian cuisines I have sampled. My only negative was the fact that we were served by a number of different people so we never established a rapport with staff, it would have been nice to have had one server.

“Appalling Service.....................Never Again!!!!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Went to a bday yesterday and have decided i will never visit this this restaurant ever again!

The service is by far the worst i have ever come across, staff are rude and unorganized and lets this place down big time. Waited over 2 hours for our mains and when they finally came out the food was cold and to make matters worse i found a hair in my curry.

I decided enough was enough and walked out of the restaurant!

2 Thank Manish L
Coventry, United Kingdom
“if you're asian expect to be treated like second class citizen. VERY POOR!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

after my first time with a mate, we really couldn't understand why were we pushed to the back of the room, served after people who arrived after us and also we left after people who arrived after us due to a poor service. today it was my little sisters bday and she wanted chase akbars. deep down i did not want to come here from 2 previous experiences but as it was her bday i agreed. got here at 7.45 and didnt get main courses till 10pm. AGAIN i noticed people arriving after us and getting served before us and leaving way before we got our mains. we were the last ones, left in the place and to be honest i felt very offended. maybe the staff still think we are living in the 60s and feel they need to prioritise english people first.
i run a successful family business myself but could never see us treating customers differently due to origin and race.
this is the first time i have ever commented on a restaurant and its only because i really felt i had to as i was very annoyed today.
been to many top restaurants before and have never ever been made to feel this way so a negative comment is given when due and its not usually like me to complain.

poor.... very poor
also ordered a whiskey and coke, paid for it but never got to see it for some reason and we probably paid more than most tables there.
take note guys, every paying customer is a customer

5 Thank housebrigade