“Beautiful”

Ally's Balti House
Ranked #64 of 577 Restaurants in Coventry
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Beautiful”
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I absolutely love Ally's. Food is cheap but amazing, as they don't have a license to serve alcohol you can take your own which makes your night out even cheaper. The only complaint I have is that it could do with some decorating and the stairs aren't very safe but nevertheless a great experience.

England
“Decent food, cheap, but staff not very welcoming”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Arrived to discover that no record was held of our reserved booking (made by phone). Staff managed to 'sort something out' for us - but felt that we were a bit of a nuisance rather than valued customers. Bring your own alcohol, but NOT soft drinks. Food was pretty good, not outstanding, but above average for prices charged. After asking for the bill several times we resorted to leaving our table and making our way to the bar - that worked and we were given the long awaited bill. Overall not bad. Shame most staff seem complacent and adopt the 'I'm doing you a favour' approach to service. Decor is best left unmentioned, but if food and low cost is your priority, then the lack of romantic ambiance can be excused.

• Visited December 2013
Coventry
“Good old fashioned English Indian”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Having read most of the reviews I would have to agree with most of them.

Its dated and old fashioned but the staff are friendly and it does have a certain charm about it. Reasonable prices and the bonus of taking your own booze.

The food is very much to the english taste of 20 years ago. Is it bad ? No. Is it good ? Well its ok but there are much better more authentic places nearby and even better within 10 minutes (see my other reviews).

Would I go back ? Probably not unless it was with a group and I hadnt organised it.

• Visited October 2013
“My Favourite Curry House in Coventry.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Taking price into account, I don't think you can find a better Indian restaurant in Coventry. I've been to Ally's several times and the food has never disappointed. The atmosphere varies from relaxed to quite lively on some of the busier nights, and the service is informal but efficient. To top it off, Ally's is strictly BYOB, which suits me down to the ground.

If you want the best curry in Coventry, you have a choice between Ally's and Tumeric Gold. Both are worth visiting, but only one have I found myself going back to, time and again. That's Ally's.

1 Thank Jacob R
Coventry
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I love eating out in Earlsdon and usually midweek don't have a problem with getting a table at late notice. There is a great selection of Asian cuisine to choose from and this particular evening chose to go to Ally's as I hadn't been there for about 12 months. I really wish I had gone with my original choice but unfortunately it was closed due to Eid. I must say I don't recall Ally's being this bad the last time I went. Yes the decor makes it quite a traditional 'Balti House' but it did not look particularly clean. When seated by the window which was very nice on a warm evening, I realised the table had s sticky surface so everything that was put on the table stuck to it. The service wasn't particularly inspiring but when the food did arrive I had to ask a second time for a spare plate which when it did eventually arrive the food was getting quite cold. But my biggest dissapointment was the chicken in both dishes looked and tasted like processed chicken, almost like sliced chicken roll. The sauces were ok and the side dishes and bread were ok too but the 'chicken' was quite a putt off so will probably not go again. Haven't seen any other reviews that say the same so hopefully if I read that this was maybe just a one off I may return in the future.

• Visited August 2013