“Not my first choice”

Ranked #22 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Airdrie, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Not my first choice”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stayed here in October this year we usually stay at the travel lodge but this was cheaper,the rooms where very small but spotless,but it was cold even with the radiators on,but staff where friendly and extremely helpful and the breakfast more than made up for the chilly bedrooms.

Room Tip: Hot water bottles are provided when asked,if you go in the winter months I'd suggest taking up...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed in October 2012 for 2 nights. I had asked for a single room but was given a "double". It could only be described as a double by a massive degree of imagination. How on earth even a midget could have got into the wall and window side of the double I can't imagine as even the curtain didn't have room to draw properly.
The ensuite was tiny but adequate. No soap provided, though.
The mattress was old and uncomfortable and definitely needs replacing. However, the bed linen was clean and the bedding acceptable. Also, I was pleased that the central heating was working and the owner came up to attend to a small fault with the shower switch.
As others have remarked, the hotel needs a good overhaul, but as we all know, large houses are expensive to maintain.
Breakfast: plentiful and a good choice. Apart from the awful instant coffee.
Now, I should be able to report on two breakfasts, but no: on the Sunday morning, the dining room was locked, there was no sign of the owner and I and about 5 other guests hung about waiting for well over half an hour before we all decided to leave. Mysterious. If there had been an emergency, the owner could have left a note, or got someone else in to see to breakfast.
Not good enough.
The reception area had a sofa and the odd chair (I think) but some of us were having to stand around while we waited for the breakfast which never materialised. There is nowhere comfortable to relax. Maybe better in summer, not late in the year as it was when I went.

Room Tip: A room on the garden side would be quieter; this hotel is situated on a very busy road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 829EleanorT829
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel last December, and have since been back two further times. For a low-priced hotel I can't fault it: extremely comfortable bed, perfectly adequate room, and a thoroughly friendly easy-going atmosphere. The staff are accomodating and welcoming. The rooms and bed linen are always fresh and clean, and my breakfasts have been most enjoyable. I am so pleased I found this hotel, it really does feel like a home away from home, and I'm looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We visited our grandson at QEH upon his sudden return from Afghan. We were very upset and travelled from Seaford as fast poss to be with him, we saw the Madeira as we were searching for anyware to kip, despite the lateness Stell made us immediately welcome and eased our fears. Room a wee bit cramped but we had stayed at 4 star that wouldnt rate 2, brekky was lovely and sharon was ever attentive to whatever we needed, as g/son will be in QEH for some time recovering we will be coming back to the Madeira.
We have recommended this hotel to other members of the family.

Room Tip: for the price one could not do better, location is excellent, staff very helpful and understanding.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Sorry to be negative but I really didn't enjoy this hotel- I found the room slightly smelly- The bed was fine. Only instant coffee at breakfast. I know this was low budget but I like my real coffee beans- I will not return

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank cro_11
France
Reviewed November 4, 2011

In a way I am sorry to have to write a negative review as the staff were extremely helpful and pleasant. The owner was away at the time and her daughter was running the place for her. On the positive side the location was good, as was the breakfast and the rooms were clean. On the negative side our twin bedded room was minute as was the en-suite which was accessed by a ¾ height louvred door – not a lot of privacy! The ‘Reception Area & Lounge’ was too small to be comfortable. Fortunately our room was at the rear of the property as friends who were at the front who said the traffic noise was disturbing, their twin bedded room was marginally bigger than ours but at least ours was quieter. It is a pity that in my opinion the problem with this hotel is that it has been overdeveloped in order to maximise the number of rooms at the expense of comfort.

Room Tip: Rear of property to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Flagman32
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2011

I stayed here for a couple of nights and found the hotel to be very clean and comfortable. The en-suit was a little tiny but the bed was comfortable also the breakfast was very good. They have ample car parking spaces and the internet works fine. For the price which I paid I would recommend this hotel. There are many worse places in Northfield which you could stay at the same price which don't provide an en-suite, communal microwaves and information about places to eat, visits and delivery take-aways.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business