“Neither Fish nor Fowl!”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Pakistani, Balti
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Oh Dear, I can tell you that I take absolutely no pleasure in writing this review - but feel that I must!
Let's start witht the positives, the restuarant is clean and decorated in a colonial style that befits the name. The kitchen area is in full view of the diners and the service was swift, helpful and friendly.... now lets get onto the food!
We chose a starter and a Curry each from the Pakistani menu, along with poppadums to nibble and Pilau Rice and Peshwari Nann to accompany our main. The Poppadums were tasty, but very oily - not too much of an issue really. The starters, Sheek keebab and chicken Pakora, were nicely cooked and at this point we thought we had struck gold, sadly however the rest is downhill.
The Pilau arrived having been 'stir-fried' in a Wok and was hard and oily, the Lamb Bhuna it accompanied lacked depth in the sauce, which had a 'burnt' aftertaste and the meat ranged from chewy to hard in texture. The Chicken Tikka Masala - a Birmingham speciality - faired slighty better, in that the meat was properly cooked, but again the sauce had no depth of flavour. The Nann was a disgrace .. admit it guys, you warmed that up in a microwave? - soggy and doughy are the kindest words I can use, Nann is cooked in a tandoor, or at least something like!

My thoughts are that this kind of 'fusion' doesn't work - you can't cook good curries in a Wok - so stick to one thing or the other!

2  Thank NorthofTheWall

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This place use to be good few years ago. But went there recently food was terrible. Service was terrible.

1  Thank Evan_Simpson_57
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went here for my sister's birthday. We were the only diners in the restaurant on a saturday evening, that should have tipped me off imemdiately. The staff stared at us through the kitchen, very uncomfortable. The food we ordered was all asian dishes. It was worse than takeaway curries. The "sauce" was tasteless slop, with almost no chicken or meat in the dishes - a complete rip off. I was furious. I was actually too angry to complain - that's saying something - as it was a birthday event and I didnt want to ruin the atnosphere for our party. I paid through gritted teeth. Needless to say, we will never return and I wish I had demanded a bill reduction, it would have been completely justified. Avoid this place like the plague.

2  Thank tourist1321
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I've been to this restaurant a couple of times before although the last time was over a year ago and the food was good then, but went a couiple of days ago and the food was terrible. We rang a few days earlier to make a reservation and when we got there, only 2 of the 20+ tables were occupied and they were asking if we made a reservation. The starters were half cooked. We should have left after the starters and go elsewere. The mains were terrible and some were outright disgusting. I think we left one of the curries 90% untouched. Will not be going back there again.

1  Thank mokay
Reviewed May 18, 2012 via mobile

This place has gone downhill!

Food is terrible would not waste money here again!! It was cold and tasted horrible

Staff are rude and waiter tries to get u to order more dishes than u need!!

1  Thank MandW108