“Fab restaurant and fab food”
Review of Purnell's

Purnell's
Ranked #10 of 2,310 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

4 of us went for my sons 21st- had Purnells Tour menu and we weren't disappointed. Lovely food with a few surprises, attentive staff very friendly and nice atmosphere. Not cheap but worth it for a treat.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our second visit to Purnells, the first was four years ago and I felt that it was even better. We chose the Summer Menu on the grounds that the Tour Menu is always available and it is Summer after all.
The amuse bouche of leek and potato soup was lovely and the tomatoes with tomato sorbet refreshing and surprisingly tasty. The Birmingham soup was interesting and innovative and although I was not keen on the butter for the pikelet this is a very minor point. The roasted Brixham cod was beautifully cooked with a crispy skin and the pea custard complimented it well. The suckling pig superbly tender and the crackling just right. My husband said the black pudding was the best that he had ever tasted. The chocolate dome with raspberry sorbet inside was great textures and taste but I think dark chocolate rather than white would have been even better but this is my preference. Coffee and lovely petit fours and chatting to the delightful couple at the next table rounded off a great evening even if I did have to drive home!
This is a relaxed restaurant with great food all beautifully presented by attentive staff and although not cheap ideal for a celebration.

1  Thank Jan S
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Purnell’s restaurant is superb dining experience from the moment you step into the restaurant you are made to feel special.

The dining experience was made even more special for me by being able to catch a glimpse of our yummy brummie every time the kitchen door swung open.

Attention to detail from the set table, to the quality of the food presented was a delight for the eyes, tantalizing the taste buds in preparation to devour the delectable morsels set before you.

The wine suggested before every course was the perfect accompaniment to each dish.

The waiters were very discrete and you only knew they were there, when they predicted they were needed.

Delightful dining experience.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were a party of 6 and we ate the 10 course taster menu with accompanying wines, the staff were unbelievably smooth and coordinated, the food was excellent and the information on the wine was very interesting, we were celebrating 3 birthdays and a wedding anniversary and would highly recommend this restaurant for any special occasion, can't wait to go again

2  Thank Sally R
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Astounding culinary experience. Loved everything about this restaurant. The food was divine, the service top notch and my partner and I had the most wonderful romantic lunch. I can not speak too highly or shower enough praise upon this fabulous restaurant.