“A mixture of outstanding and disappointing”
Review of Purnell's

Purnell's
Ranked #8 of 2,217 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Preston, United Kingdom
“A mixture of outstanding and disappointing”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The bar area was really nice and we were greeted warmly by the staff. We went for the 10 course 'Purnell's tour' and had mixed feelings about it. The first couple of courses were a little disappointing and didn't live up to my expectations. The 'mint choc chip' dessert was fantastic to look at and the smell of mint in the restaurant was brilliant but we didn't really enjoy eating it! However, the beef and octopus course and the venison course made the trip worthwhile. Overall, I would say we enjoyed it but given the price (over £200 for the two of us) I don't think we would visit again.

Visited February 2013

UK
“A great experience....”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My comments echo most on here already, so I won't go into detail. The food is as you would expect from a Michelin restaurant and the service even better.

My only one minor gripe is the offer of a 'similar glass of wine to the bottle you've had' once we'd finished it. With hindsight this is a well-practiced add-on sale that I fell for. It seemed a nice gesture at the time but this soon lost it's romance when we realised each glass cost £16. A bit crafty methinks and one I shan't fall for again!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank junctiontwo
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fantastic and Well Worth a visit”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a wonderful lunch at Purnells, the Winter grazing menu. I can recommend anyone to go and try this exquisite restaurant. The atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed, service was attentive and informed. We had an excellent potato soup, some beautiful seabass, a great beef carpaccio as well as a Duck and Turnip main course. Every course was delicious. Cant wait to go there again.

• Visited February 2013
Maidenhead
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing much to add to the rating really”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A complete experience and when one takes the cost of an evening in a good pub/restaurant and stand them side by side this comes first every time.

For £50 per head we were cossetted, charmed and fed to an unbelievably high standard. Each mouthful is still being spoken about, by me, ten days later. Glyn came and had a chat beforehand and gave us some pointers but everything was not as obvious as the menu may have made out. I personally never really need wines of such high value but I don't doubt there are those that pay it and I'm perfectly sure the owner knows what to stock for his clientele but they didn't have the wine I wanted at the price I was happy to pay. Maybe lot's of people choose it so more is needed!!
Great night as good as anywhere I've ever been!

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not sure.....”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

What to say really! We had the Winter menu at about £60 a head and although everything turned up looking very lovely and well presented it didn't quite work taste wise.it was if it was all trying too hard.the combination of flavours were in most cases lacking in something and that was a shame as it all looked very good.couldnt fault the service and the wine list had a huge choice at various prices.maybe we will give the place another chance later in the year!

1 Thank david w