“A great experience....”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Purnell's

Purnell's
Ranked #4 of 2,198 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Ladywood
UK
“A great experience....”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My comments echo most on here already, so I won't go into detail. The food is as you would expect from a Michelin restaurant and the service even better.

My only one minor gripe is the offer of a 'similar glass of wine to the bottle you've had' once we'd finished it. With hindsight this is a well-practiced add-on sale that I fell for. It seemed a nice gesture at the time but this soon lost it's romance when we realised each glass cost £16. A bit crafty methinks and one I shan't fall for again!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank junctiontwo

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Fantastic and Well Worth a visit”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a wonderful lunch at Purnells, the Winter grazing menu. I can recommend anyone to go and try this exquisite restaurant. The atmosphere was welcoming and relaxed, service was attentive and informed. We had an excellent potato soup, some beautiful seabass, a great beef carpaccio as well as a Duck and Turnip main course. Every course was delicious. Cant wait to go there again.

• Visited February 2013
Maidenhead
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing much to add to the rating really”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A complete experience and when one takes the cost of an evening in a good pub/restaurant and stand them side by side this comes first every time.

For £50 per head we were cossetted, charmed and fed to an unbelievably high standard. Each mouthful is still being spoken about, by me, ten days later. Glyn came and had a chat beforehand and gave us some pointers but everything was not as obvious as the menu may have made out. I personally never really need wines of such high value but I don't doubt there are those that pay it and I'm perfectly sure the owner knows what to stock for his clientele but they didn't have the wine I wanted at the price I was happy to pay. Maybe lot's of people choose it so more is needed!!
Great night as good as anywhere I've ever been!

• Visited February 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not sure.....”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

What to say really! We had the Winter menu at about £60 a head and although everything turned up looking very lovely and well presented it didn't quite work taste wise.it was if it was all trying too hard.the combination of flavours were in most cases lacking in something and that was a shame as it all looked very good.couldnt fault the service and the wine list had a huge choice at various prices.maybe we will give the place another chance later in the year!

1 Thank david w
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing dining experience”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We had been so looking forward to our visit to Purnells and we weren't disappointed. The cocktails were excellent to start then we choose the Purnells tour tasting menu. It was just amazing. I would find it hard to choose a favourite, from the soup to the beef, the fish, the venison was sublime. I'm not big on desserts but the mint choc theatre to the egg custard was great. The tastes are brilliantly balanced and quality of produce obvious. There were many oohs and aahs and mmm's from our table both for how the food looked and tasted.A word about the bread too, I have never tasted lighter brown bread, it was delicious. The staff are all friendly and knowledgable. It is a great experience, expensive granted but worth it and we will definitely return. Well done Mr Purnell and your team.