“What an experience”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Reviewed February 9, 2013

A fantastic night. My husband and I were treated to the 8 course taster meal, with wine for each course. The experience lasted around 3 hours, it was amazing. The staff were fantastic. They introduced each dish explaining the ingredients and why they were chosen and the same with the wines. It was amazing and I definitely recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,580)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

This evening was a special Christmas treat for my Mother in Law. It turned into an evening we will always remember. Everything about it was perfect. The staff on arrival were friendly and warm. We were escorted to our table where our eating experience began. I have eaten in fabulous restaurants around the world but can honestly say that the 'Purnells Tour menu' which we selected for our party exceeded all our expectations. The theatre of each course, its presentation, explanation from the superb waiting staff and finally the tasting built up the excitement between courses. We found it difficult to choose a favourite course but agreed that the carpaccio of beef, monkfish masala, Balmoral venison and mint choccy chip were stand out dishes. The evening was topped off when Glynn Purnell came out and had a chat with us. He is a lovely down to earth guy and deserves his success. We cant wait for the summer menu to be launched and just wish we had discovered this gem of a restaurant sooner. Thanks to all for making it such a memorable evening.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We have been lucky enough to go back to Purnells for a 2nd time and can say that it was yet another great experience.
The staff are all very friendly and pleasant and don't have any kind of "we're better than you" attitude, so you feel very comfortable being there.
The food was excellent again and the speed of delivery of the courses is spot-on.

It isn't a cheap restaurant but worth the experience and we would definitely go back yet again.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Purnells Birmingham
We recently visited Glynn Purnells restaurant in Birmingham, I had treated my partner for his Christmas present. To start the weekend off we travelled by Virgin trains first class on an excellent deal.
I also had a good deal from the premier in in waterloo street fantastic spot for everything and really top staff
After a day’s shopping in the mail box and Bull ring, we were looking forward to the main event.
We started our evening off with a cocktail at Gingers this is a bistro and cocktail bar belonging to Purnells just round the corner from the restaurant. They were very busy and a little short staffed, but the manager couldn’t have been more attentive recommending a good cocktail for me and a perfect dry martini for my partner. After our cocktail we walked round to Purnells where we received a really warm welcome from the lady looking after the bar area, we sat on comfy chairs and enjoyed an aperitif while browsing the menu.
There are 2 taster menus with such a varied selection on, we chose The Purnells Tour , the metre de also kindly let me swap a dish between the menus.
I have to say he is very French quite formidable with a great sense of humour.
From the first course of soup through to dessert the meal was phenomenal, lasted around 3 hours absolute Bliss, the menu included the monk fish and lentils, plus the crème Brule from the great British menu.
Even the bread and butter were a delight. As it was an occasion we went for the house Champagne well priced and perfectly matched to the various courses.
The overall experience was fantastic Glynn Purnell was in and out of the kitchen, even delivering bread to a table. Let’s face it when we go to these wonderful restaurants part of the experience is seeing the Chef who’s food we had long to taste.
The Metre de and his wonderful team completed the perfect night. Thanks to all at Purnells for making his pressie so special

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My second visit was better than my 1st However I enjoyed both times and will be returning. The service atmosphere and food was indeed very good.