“On the up or on it's uppers?”

Hogarths Hotel and Restaurant
Ranked #270 of 2,310 Restaurants in Birmingham
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Hogarths Brasserie offers you the chance to experience local, relaxed dining at its best.Enjoy exquisite dishes created by our Executive chef as you enjoy the stunning views across our gardens and extensive woodland beyond.It's the ideal location for that meeting of friends for a coffee, meal for two, a venue for a family gathering or a meal to impress friends or business contacts.Passionately believing that food tastes best when it's made with the freshest ingredients, we use seasonal produce wherever possible, sourced from trusted, specialist suppliersUnwind in absolute comfort and enjoy the lovely views across the beautiful scenery. When you step outdoors delight in the lovely setting with its own secluded island...a very special place for you to discover when you visit us.
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Probably the hardest review I've done to date. Had high expectations of a brasserie menu supposedly inspired by Martin Blunos being on my doorstep, and whilst it's all well cooked, delivered by friendly staff, and contrary to what others have said not bad value at all in my book, it remains a fairly standard Brasserie Menu. Starters at £6 isn't bad value people just check out your local steakhouse or Indian and it's not that much more. Decor and grounds are lovely, my starter of salmon and crab fish cakes (actually 3 deep fried balls) were very tasty and my wife loved her beet root and pecorino salad. My main of pork belly was great and her hogarths chicken was moist and tender. Mains are £12 to £16 so again fair value I think. Have been twice and both times at lunchtime. It was very quiet at both visits so hope for their sake it is livelier sometimes in evenings. Wine not too heavily marked up and we'll definitely visit again to try some other things on the menu as so far all cooked to an accomplished level but it is a fairly standard Brasserie menu with not much unusual to speak of but what there is is good. Maybe it's my fault and my expectations were raised by having the Blunos name attached.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

we had a "pre" valentines dinner at this hotel on Monday (11/02/13) we had seen it recommended on The Gourmet Society website which also allowed us 25% off the bill. This is a most unusal and quirky hotel, a lot of thought has gone into the design creating a cosy atmosphere. The staff were very helpful and efficient and the food was excellent, I had Sole and my partner had rib eye steak both cooked to perfection with a good selection of veg. The dessert was unsual and the coffee excellent. Overall we will be going back, they do a one night stop over package for £99.00 to include dinner and breakfast and while we didnt see the rooms first hand the photographs showed the design to be similar to the overall "look". They also have a Dyson hand dryer in the ladies which was amazing!

1  Thank annamarie_keane
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I wold have liked to have rated this as very good as most f the evening was. Great value for Burns night, lovely Cullen skink soup loads of pieces of fish and very tasty. Lovely rondelle of haggis with neeps and tatties. The main course was a major disappointment, the potatoes tasted very odd, the veg was puréed bland and the rib of beer was tough and overcooked. Al in a good evening and tremendous value but the main was a let down. The dessert was delicious crime brûlée and a glass of Famous Grouse completed the meal and a coffee or tea. For £30 with a piper and some poetry it seems harsh to complain but the main course was a big let down. Otherwise I'd go back anytime and do love Hogarths.

1  Thank georgegibbs
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I'll write a second review in relation to the hotel but the one meal we had was a set meal in the evening (large work function) and whilst the food was ok it wasn't great and didn't compare to either the hotel (which was fabulous) or the breakfast the next day which was excellent.

Starter was cauliflower soup (ok), main was chicken with a vegetarian option (again ok) and dessert was unmemorable.

As this was a mass serving on a set course perhaps take my experience as not necessarily the norm, especially when reflected against the rest of my stay here.

1  Thank PaulRickard
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We came to Hogarth's to celebrate a birthday, Saturday lunchtime. The refurbished restaurant is really elegant and tasteful (except for the hideous Apple Core and Chilli Sculpture!)
The service was bang on, friendly but not over friendly, very professional. The food was served in good time, the fish and chips (£13) were well cooked, lovely batter, just as it should be, the chips were in the main good. The Rib Eye Steak (£22) was cooked as ordered, nice touch with the bone marrow, I thought it rather odd to have a yorkshire pudding with this., it seemed out of place. It had a very home made feel though, with a good taste. I would a liked a thicker sauce rather than the very thin jus, but on the whole a good plate of food. The Greens with Hazelnuts (£3) were tasty, and served in an imaginative way. We shared a bottle of a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc which was fairly priced at £18.95 and worked well with our food.
The puddings were glorious! (£6)Perfect Baked Alaska with the most delicious Raspberry coulis I have ever tasted, sharp, generous portion. Yum! The trio of home made Neapolitan ice creams were well flavoured, and you could taste the quality of the ingredients. They were elegantly served too. My Dad was delighted that his plate was personalised with a Birthday greeting. We had very good coffee with some lovely petit four.
Although not to do with the restaurant per se, i must compliment the cleaning staff, the communal areas, and the lavatories were so clean and well kept. The shine on the taps in the ladies was outstanding! They did not smell of anything horrible, as mentioned by a previous reviewer. The L'occitane soap was a nice touch too, although hand cream would go that extra mile:)
Price wise: I think Hogarth's offers excellent value for money, It is not much more expensive than the steak house down the road,but for some reason I think it has a reputation for being very expensive, which is why, sadly the Brasserie was so quiet. I will definitely visit there again when next in the area.

1  Thank Allvox