“Authentic taste of Spain”

La Plancha Spanish Tapas & Cocktail Bar
Ranked #198 of 2,208 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
“Authentic taste of Spain”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Visited La Plancha on a Saturday night with a group of friends. Upon booking i was told that we were part of the 2nd sitting (after 9pm) and sat upstairs. Was a little dubious at this, and was worried that we may be away from it all. How wrong we were. The atmosphere was amazing, with every table full. there was 4 of us and we ordered 3 dishes each to share. Which in reality was too much as portion sizes were so generous. 2 each would suffice. Really good selection of dishes on menu, very reasonably priced and service was excellent. Our favourite dishes included chilli chicken, meatballs, patatas bravas, calamari and king prawns. Delicious! No complaints and will certainly return!

“Lovely cosy restaurant”
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

La Plancha is the without doubt the best tapas restaurant in Birmingham. I have been here a number of times over the past few years and the food is always good. The restaurant itself is situated in the middle of mosely and well located to go on to the local bars and pubs for drinks after eating. Five or six dishes is usually enough for two people. The food is very good, i recommend the scallops and pork in Malaga (sweet sherry).

• Visited May 2014
“La Plancha”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Being spanish I needed some comfort food, I wasn't expecting it to compare with my mothers cooking but hoped it would be good here. I enjoyed the cocktails- this is something that you can have anywhere so not overly impressive. Food is very average not a perfect representation of our true spanish cuisine but good portion sizes for tapas.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank lcabell0
“Nice little venue”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Unfortunately our pre-booked table didn't materialise so we didn't get to sit in the restaurant area upstairs. The downstairs bit doesn't have the comfiest of stools and there is nowhere to put coats or brollys but we made do.

The cocktails are possibly the best I have tried and I've tried quite a few. Well worth a return visit just to sample these again.

The bar man was helpful with our order as we were about to order two plates of the bread with a Chilli Tapenade, he pre-warned us it was a very generous portion and one plate would be enough for two - he was right! As with all tapas bars, it possibly works better when more than two of you are attending to order a better range but we decided to order a main each. My lamb skewers were lovely. Service could have been better, we were left with two of the three dishes we ordered and had to chase the third which was disappointing.

I would like a return visit to try their chicken quesadillas and repeat performance on their cocktails.

Once you've finished your meal and drinks, there appears to be plenty around the high street in Moseley to frequent plus there are black cabs right outside which was a pleasant surprise for a rainy Saturday night.

Booking essential and make sure they have actually booked you in otherwise you could be left disappointed.

• Visited April 2014
“Lovely ambience, awful olives ”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I went with a friend for cocktails and a meal on a Thurs. It was quiet so we were seated in the bar area which is very nice and cosy. We weren't too impressed with our tart cosmopolitans but there was an improvement with the daiquiri and French martini.
Staff were friendly.
Onto the food - my friend was very impressed with her garlic prawns, I loved my spicy Halloumi (always enjoy the Halloumi here), we shared a chicken paella which was tasty. I liked the white beans in it, the patatas bravas were nice as always. However, I forgot the olives are vile here. We left almost the whole plate as they were so salty but not in a good way. The vegetarian quesadilla was nice but the onions were raw and I feel if the onions were cooked a little before making the quesadilla it would have been much better. We both had wine and then finished with Henley's ice cream. La Plancha would be perfect if the food was outstanding rather than nice or ok. They need to swap the olive supplier too.