“Nice little venue”

Good for: Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Unfortunately our pre-booked table didn't materialise so we didn't get to sit in the restaurant area upstairs. The downstairs bit doesn't have the comfiest of stools and there is nowhere to put coats or brollys but we made do.

The cocktails are possibly the best I have tried and I've tried quite a few. Well worth a return visit just to sample these again.

The bar man was helpful with our order as we were about to order two plates of the bread with a Chilli Tapenade, he pre-warned us it was a very generous portion and one plate would be enough for two - he was right! As with all tapas bars, it possibly works better when more than two of you are attending to order a better range but we decided to order a main each. My lamb skewers were lovely. Service could have been better, we were left with two of the three dishes we ordered and had to chase the third which was disappointing.

I would like a return visit to try their chicken quesadillas and repeat performance on their cocktails.

Once you've finished your meal and drinks, there appears to be plenty around the high street in Moseley to frequent plus there are black cabs right outside which was a pleasant surprise for a rainy Saturday night.

Booking essential and make sure they have actually booked you in otherwise you could be left disappointed.

There are newer reviews for La Plancha Spanish Tapas & Cocktail Bar

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I went with a friend for cocktails and a meal on a Thurs. It was quiet so we were seated in the bar area which is very nice and cosy. We weren't too impressed with our tart cosmopolitans but there was an improvement with the daiquiri and French martini.
Staff were friendly.
Onto the food - my friend was very impressed with her garlic prawns, I loved my spicy Halloumi (always enjoy the Halloumi here), we shared a chicken paella which was tasty. I liked the white beans in it, the patatas bravas were nice as always. However, I forgot the olives are vile here. We left almost the whole plate as they were so salty but not in a good way. The vegetarian quesadilla was nice but the onions were raw and I feel if the onions were cooked a little before making the quesadilla it would have been much better. We both had wine and then finished with Henley's ice cream. La Plancha would be perfect if the food was outstanding rather than nice or ok. They need to swap the olive supplier too.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Me and my boyfriend decided to go here for our anniversary and was initially greeted by a member of staff who could not place our previously made reservation in their books. We were told we would have to be "squeezed in" and then were seated upstairs next to many empty tables, most of which were not taken by anybody throughout our time there.
After a long wait, a lady came over and asked what drinks we would like and gave us our menus. We ordered our drinks and she disappeared. A long time later, she returned, gave us our drinks and asked what we wanted. We ordered and simply asked if we could have our bread and salad first as a starter and she said "we're too busy, it'll have to come out all together" which would have been fair enough if there weren't lots of empty tables around us with a ridiculous amount of staff on who seemed to be aimlessly lingering around the bar!!!
Then, the food took an hour to come out. During this time there was no waiter who would respond to our calls for another drink. I then had to go to the bar to order it myself which the waiters seemed annoyed by and after all that messing around the drinks came quite a long time after that anyway.
The food was OK. Not worth the money at all however, and definitely not worth going through the awful service for it. Will not be going again.

2  Thank Lou P
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Absolutely nothing going for it anymore. Terrible service, slow surly bar staff, disinterested in taking food orders.

When the food did arrive we were very disappointed. We have had better microwave paella and the pork loin tapas that cost seven pounds was tough and thin.

We could not get out of there faster, stopped again by a bar tender who paused to answer the phone half way through taking our bill.

Promptly went over to the Carib Grill to save our evening.

For better small bite and snack food/ tapas style try the Fighting Cocks opposite.

1  Thank ScarlettRoses
Reviewed April 3, 2014

My son rook me here on sunday for mothers day foodcwas nice but service appauling ordered drinks waited so long food came before cocktaits asked waiter why the delay his curt reply was theres on one bar person adle too mix cocktails was not very busy so dont know we had toovwait so long. Only had one drink as waiter never appeared again so could not order any more. The bill did come very quickly all in all jot a vety good experience would not go again

2  Thank Julie b