“Poor, Very Poor”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
“Poor, Very Poor”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I really don't understand where these good reviews are coming from?! I remember going to La Plancha a long time ago (c7yrs ago) for drinks only and thought it looked like a great place to eat. So after moving back to brum I decided to take the wife there for a New Year's eve meal. I enquired about a reservation on the website, got a call back and told the restaurant was busy but a table for 2 could be accommodated...great I thought. That was the end of the positives. We arrived and was met by a disinterested chap (must be the "feminine looking one" quoted by another Trip advisor reviewer). He looked peeved off, unhappy and couln;t must a single smile - is that so hard in the Service Industry?? We were shown to our table which was next to a plugged in mobile electric heater and near a walkway. We declined and opted to sit in the bar area. I went to the bar and was totally ignored by the bar guy, who decided to serve someone else who was part of a larger group. After waiting for another member of bar staff I ordered our drinks after a 15mins wait. Draft beer was fine and my wifes Rioja was nice. Then came the major disappointment. We ordered our food at the bar. We ordered the peppers with vinegar and feta cheese. They arrived and were bland with no vingear and no feta cheese at all! - imagine cold sliced pepper with no seasoning, that was what we had. Mushrooms in garlic sauce arrived which were mushrooms in olive oil, again no taste or flavour, no hint of garlic. Chicken in spiacy sauce looked like pre cooked chicken in plain tomatoe sauce laced with encona chilli sauce and a few capsicums thrown in for a good look. Terrible. Finally the King prawns in garlic arrived, in their shells - which is fine, but again there was no seasonsing or any distinct flavour of any sort. A truly pathetic offering of tapas. We paid up and left. The bill came to £35 including 2 drinks each (my cocktail was good) so not much of a blow. I think this place is good for drinks at the bar and cocktails. DO NOT GO HERE FOR FOOD. Save your cash and taste buds and head to Imlees or Kebabish (Indian). We went to the Fightng Cocks to see New Year in and got a chippy takeaway on the way home, which was way more pleasant.

• Visited December 2013

“dissapointing and unwelcoming”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

first attempted to go on a Monday 3 weeks ago as we arrived we were welcomed or shall we say un welcomed by a feminine looking chap who appeared to totally be uninterested that we were there. we paid for the drinks and left, went to Imlees the Indian next door which was far better service.

attemt 2 - as i always wanted to go to La Placha we tried again this time on a Friday as we thought we may have more luck, oh how wrong we were. we booked a table as it was our anniversary, walked in ordered drinks then the bar maid walked off with out saying a word, so we found ourselves a bar table as we wasn't told anything. after 15minutes we had to go and ask what was happening with our table in which the bar lady told us its upstairs, so after finding the stairs and showing ourselves to the table we finally sat down and ordered food. we were told bread for a starter was not necessary as the food will only take 10 minutes... ok. when the food finally started to arrive (we ordered 5 dishes between us) one of the orders was wrong so the waiter took it back, brought two more dishes out and were told we could start eating, we had finished the 2 as the next one came out then finished that as the next arrived then also finished that as the last one came out. I thought tapas was for sharing not eating it in order as it slowly comes out. some of the dishes swam in sauce yet no bread was offered we would have to pay extra (eg the pork 3 slices swimming in tomato sauce) food was average to bland and the service was awful you get better in McDonalds. All in all if your looking for excellent service and amazing tapas go to Byzantium in kings heath its far superior.

safe to say incredibly disappointing and we wont be going back

1 Thank linda c
“dissapointing and unwelcoming”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

safe to say incredibly disappointing and we wont be going back

1 Thank linda c
“As good as ever!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the first time I have written a review on Tripadvisor and has been prompted as a response to the review "gutted!" I read on here just before I returned to the restaurant.
I have dined at La Plancha several times in the past, but I returned with trepidation after reading that review. However, I am pleased to report that our experience and meal was as delicious as ever.
I have always liked the fact that the food is obviously prepared fresh, with quality ingredients and once again, our meal did not disappoint.
Portion sizes are generous and the specials are different every time I have visited.
This time around, I strongly recommend the home made croquettes which are large, crunchy on the outside and beautifully creamy on the inside. A million miles away from the frozen factory produced efforts from supermarket freezers!
In summary: Friendly staff, lovely relaxed atmosphere, reasonable prices and excellent quality fresh food. :-)

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gutted!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

This place used to be my favourite restaurant, the atmosphere was great, location perfect and food amazing, in fact I have previously given La Plancha a 5 star rating on trip advisor. Although the atmosphere and location hasn't changed the food has gone downhill dramatically. It is like they have opted for cheaper ingredients which has effected the quality of the dishes. I had hoped my experience to be a one off but have returned numerous times over the past few months with no change. Won't be going again.

1 Thank Mickyblueeye