“Fast, cheap and tasty”
Review of Cafe Soya

Cafe Soya
Ranked #378 of 2,345 Restaurants in Birmingham
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Tasty food, good value for money, fast, easy to locate, lots of choice. Noodles, rice, salads and loads of interesting things to eat.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I have been to this restaurant countless times since moving to Birmingham 3 years ago,
There are two, a larger one behind the bullring market and a smaller one in Arcadian centre. I usually go to the smaller one as I prefer the cafe feel but the food is identical and the larger is licensed.

It's the sort of place that leaves you craving their particular dishes. Their Vietnamese steamed spring rolls, roast pork rolls, pork and cabbage dumplings are all fantastic and worth the trip alone. The mains are more variable, I love the squid and rice main, the noodle bowls are well done and the hot pots very hot and very generous.

You wouldn't come here for a fancy dinner but I have had dates here as it is a nice relaxed atmosphere and quite unique, so good to show off the culinary choices in Birmingham. Lots of reviews comment on service and that can be variable. Having said that I think they recognise me now and it is generally very reliable since then. I left an umbrella on one visit and it was returned to me the next time I went a few weeks later!

If you like Asian food, particularly pan-asian and like the cafe feel that these restaurants have in Asia and want to recreate it, go here, And definitely have the Vietnamese steamed spring rolls.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have been going to this restaurant for awhile.The food is good, there is variety in what you order, portions are also of good size, plus you dont have to pay much either, it is all reasonably priced. I loved the steamed Pancake rolls that they do for starters, especially. Unfortunately there is one thing that lets this restaurant down and thats the service. Cafe Soya, closes at 10.00pm, and we arrived at 9.40. As soon as we entered , we were led to our table and then as we sat down the waiter informed us that they are shutting at 10.00pm. We replied that this was fine and we were aware but what we were not prepared for was a rush in ordering and finishing our meals!! We expected normal service even though we had arrived at the time we did and were entitled to normal service. We ordered our dishes and were told due to the time ,we would be having our starters together with our mains!! Then whilst eating our food, the waiter came over to us and asked us to settle the bill as the it was closing time. SO we interupted our meal to settle the bill then continued eating. At that point we thought enough was enough and had the remainder of our food packed up to go.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I went there with my sister, we both ordered sweet and sour chicken which was not eatable. Chicken was really hard! We left our meals and been offered 10% discount. I did not want to argue so paid and left but will never be back there ever again.

1  Thank Aggie R
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Food, service, atmosphere all are amazing. Very friendly. Generous portions. Quality of food is second to none. The best ever Chinese restaurant I have been to and I have been to a lot.