“Don't eat here!”

Ranked #984 of 2,323 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: BIRMINGHAM’S HOTTEST CITY CENTRE HIDEAWAY Check out Recess our new space where you can eat, drink and meet in whatever way you wish, day through to night. As the day goes on the vibe at Recess changes, the stunning décor offers the ultimate in comfort and style so whether its brunch, lunch, dinner or supper, Recess is the perfect place for work rest or play. Alongside the restyled space we have put together some new foodie adventures for you to enjoy including small plates of classic rarebit and Portobello fries, indulgent sandwiches, large plates of chicken thighs with roast shitake mushrooms and chimichurri sauce, delicious burgers and classic steak and frites. Drop by and discover fantastic food, coffee, cocktails and everything in-between.
Reviewed December 2, 2012

The service is increadably slow, and when the food arrives it is only average. Very young and inexperienced staff do not help. It looks like there is nobody in charge.

1  Thank RICHARD K

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Recommended by a friend for my birthday having eaten there when the restaurant was part of The Mint hotel. Since then the Hilton has bought it out and turned into your 'typical' Hilton style and much like many hotels that have a restaurant attached. The restuarant was very quiet when we arrived, yet there were many tables that had not been cleared away with napkins and plates etc and so for the first 15mins of what was meant to be an intimate dining experience we sat between dirty tables. Our order was taken promptly and the three courses arrived in a timely manner although we had to chase a side order, which arrived 10mins later. The menu is not that exciting and our desserts were poor - the vanilla cheesecake lacked flavour and seemed shop brought buried under a mountain of blueberry compote. My husband's dessert was equally disappointing and not the cheapest at £5.50 each. Speaking with a waiter the hotel is now more suited to conference delegates and therefore busy in the day and with the addition of a breakfast buffet counter in the main restaurant, no longer an intimate or even lively dining affair.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My partner and I visited on Friday evening using a 2 for 1 on mains voucher from the Birmingham Post and we were impressed.
The decor is fairly simple but bright and light and nice seating and booth/type feel.
I had the salmon and noodles and it was delicious and my partner was pleased with his burger.
The waitress was lovely, extremely friendly, helpful and welcoming.
The only downside was the atmosphere as there was only us and one other diner!
The waitress said it was often like that on an evening as even though the restaurant is part of the Hilton Hotel guests would go to other restaurants in the area, it sounds like lunch times are much busier.
This is a shame as it is a nice restaurant and better than some of the others I've eaten in recently including Bank and Picollino.
Give it a try, I hope more people start to use this restaurant!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

I was disappointed that Hilton have removed the the previous excellent value Market menu which City Inn and MINT used to offer.

The menu is now very limited and poor value for money.

I had the risotto to start which was excellent, skate wing special main course which was underwhelming - one diner sent theirs back as it was incredibly boney and could have done with being filleted.

Restaurant comparatively empty to that of old and lacks atmosphere - wonder whether the re-introduction of the previously better value market menu would fix that?

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I went for my family for lunch on a quiet week day afternoon. Even though the restaurant was pretty much empty, the service was slow and it took a while for the drinks orders to come and the meals came staggered. As a waitress myself, the service was poor; no one specifically was allocated to our table, we had to hunt waiters down to take our orders etc and they generally didn't seem to know what they were doing.
The food on the other hand was great-nice and fresh