“Consistently Good!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: Opus Restaurant, in Birmingham’s business district, is a top spot for a business lunch or a schmoozey dinner. The cavernous dining room is a dramatic open space decorated in muted hues. The team at Opus are proud of their modern British menu which showcases locally sourced free range meats and freshly caught fish. Favourites include the Lyme Bay Scallops with Belly of Pork and the Grilled Lobster served with Chips and Garlic Butter. The glamorous waiting staff are super-friendly, and the renowned in-house patisserie gives you a great excuse to have a naughty limoncello-cheesecake ending to your meal. It would be rude not to.
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been a regular at Opus since it opened 8 years or so ago. Its one of my favourite places for business lunches. The quality of the food and service has never been anything less than excellent.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Good service and fine food makes this well worth a trip. A very adequate wine list across a range of prices went well with the food which was excellent. A chicken ballantine starter was followed by a divine Dover sole - cooked beautifully. My wife had the lemon sole which was equally as good. I would happily eat again at this restaurant.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Unobtrusively set on a Colmore Business District side street Opus is a good example of Brum’s recent culinary progeny. It’s favoured by the business set who take their Two-Martini lunches here with a side of something tasty.

First impressions on a quiet Monday night were that it’s perhaps a little too sterile. While we sat in the bar with a pre-dinner cocktail it seemed echoey and shiny enough to have dropped out of an 80′s Easton Ellis novel (“Why aren’t we at Dorsia?”), and I worried that the food would be far too nouveau – big white plates with nothing on them except a splodge of sea urchin ceviche.

We perused the menu while we nibbled the fresh breads, some of which were deliciously curry flavoured. We ordered a Malbec from the extensive wine list to go with the red meat and game which are clearly the star of this menu’s show. I had quail then venison while most of my compatriots had the pretty ballotine of rabbit chicken and apricot to start, followed by the fillet steak. Safe to say the food was plentiful and well cooked and presented although the Dauphinoise that came with the steak wasn’t Dauphinoise (I think it was pan fried in butter). The service was pleasant and the maître d’ knowledgable about the food and wine list, suggesting some lovely pudding wines to go with our choices. My chocolate assiette was perfectly unctuous although it could’ve done without the puddle of foam which tasted of cow (this criticism was taken by the maître d’ with good grace).

The à la carte is fairly pricey (I actually wonder whether it’s deliberately overpriced so as to keep out the riffraff like me) although there’s a daily market menu, three courses for £25 including a glass of wine, which is much more reasonable.

There are many potential uses as a venue. It has plenty of room for a standing drinks reception, and there are two large private dining rooms which would be perfect for boardroom style dining but not really for any private social event in my opinion given how shut-away they are. Also, the restaurant has a proper chef’s table in the kitchen so you can get up close and personal to the culinary action.

I’d definitely go back with colleagues for dinner, or for a lovely lunch with friends, but it wasn’t warm and inviting enough for a romantic or a family meal. Not to worry though, it shouldn’t try to be all things to all men, and there are plenty of other places in Brum to nosh at (as per my other reviews qq.v.).

1  Thank OutInBrum
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We let the waiter choose our food, which included a vegetarian selection, He got it right, perfect.
The standard of the food and service was 5 star.
The prices were far cheeper than the quality of the food. We would have expected to have paid twice as much in London.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Located a short distance from Snow Hill train station is the Opus restaurant. We visited Opus last week for a farewell dinner in the private dining area. Food served included roast chicken with asparagus, steamed vegetables and apple crumble. We all marched through our food without any hassle leaving us all well satisfied.

The staff were very professional attending to our requirements with ease. Overall set meal cost was just under £40 excluding drinks.

If you are looking for a friendly atmosphere with good food at a decent price in central Birmingham Opus is a good choice.