“looks like a restaurant, feels like a pub”
Review of Opus Restaurant

Opus Restaurant
Ranked #74 of 2,220 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: Opus Restaurant, in Birmingham’s business district, is a top spot for a business lunch or a schmoozey dinner. The cavernous dining room is a dramatic open space decorated in muted hues. The team at Opus are proud of their modern British menu which showcases locally sourced free range meats and freshly caught fish. Favourites include the Lyme Bay Scallops with Belly of Pork and the Grilled Lobster served with Chips and Garlic Butter. The glamorous waiting staff are super-friendly, and the renowned in-house patisserie gives you a great excuse to have a naughty limoncello-cheesecake ending to your meal. It would be rude not to.
London
“looks like a restaurant, feels like a pub”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am sorry to be unkind about this place, but we had eaten across the street the day before and the comparison put Opus a bit in the shade.

The staff can not be faulted: very friendly and professional. The room is quite large and was full the Saturday night we were there. It was noisy. I don't know if large parties are the norm in this place, but we had a birthday party to our right and a table of ladies the other side of the room. The "look-at-me, am I having fun now?" hysterical laughter was quite off-putting. Or I'm just a boring old phart.

The food: my oysters were lovely, the bottle of Touraine Sauvignon quite cold and my wife's lobster delicious. My slow-cooked lamb shank was quite tasteless and the consistency of mush. The jus on the plate was exactly the same taste as the too flavour-intense French onion soup. The vegetables were quite ordinary. The recommended glass of claret to accompany the lamb was uninspired.

Trust me, your £140 would be much better spent across the street.

Nice people, though.

1 Thank freelunchLondon

towcester
“great service”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

this restaurant was recommended to us after we had failed to get into Purnells at short notice and Opus is opposite. the welcome was very warm, we were shown to a good table in the large , bustling , atmospheric restaurant. the maitre d came to see us for wine, he was brilliant, friendly , knowlegable . i started with oysters, superb! then on to braised lamb which was good then the cheeses which were perfectly looked after and delicious. this is not a michelin starred restaurant but in many ways we prefered our experience to Purnells.

New Hampshire
“A Classy Act”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I went to Opus for an early Valentine's meal as we're busy on Thursday. Our coats were taken and we were seated as soon as we walked through the door. The staff were friendly and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We both ordered a starter and a main, and after some time, a young hostess came to apologise about the delay in our starter - that there had been a problem with the check, and that our next round of drinks was on the house. We were enjoying ourselves, and probably wouldn't have noticed about the delay - but this was a lovely goodwill gesture. My partner had the quail for a starter which was perfectly cooked and full of flavour. I had the French Onion Soup which was piping hot and tasty. Our mains were filet of beef and venison - again, both cooked to perfection and accompanied by a delightful mix of sides. I finished with the sticky toffee pudding served with ice cream and bananas in caramel sauce which was honestly lick-the-bowl-clean delicious if it had been appropriate. The cost of the meal was around £100, but for the standard, presentation, taste and quality it was worth every penny. We'll definitely return and bring friends with us next time.

2 Thank hildegardv
London, United Kingdom
“Consistently good”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

After a few visits able to affirm this this is consistently good with attentive staff and nice spacious setting that makes for a good evening and experience. The food is varied and wine list similarly. There is an early evening set menu that is good value too. I particularly liked the spiecy parsnip soup that was most elegantly served and tasted exceptional. I will continue to return. The main menu tariff is on the steep side, as you might expect.

Birmingham
“Definitely recommended”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have been lucky enough to eat at Opus a few times and always have a great experience.
The staff are quietly efficient and friendly, the food is always excellent quality and reasonable portion sizes. The place has a nice atmosphere to it and looks smart.
We generally find a 3 course meal for 2 and some wine will cost in the region of £100 and i would say this is reasonable value for the experience and quality of food. It's just perfect for a treat.

I will definitely go back.

• Visited November 2012