“Shockingly awful”

Mechu Bar & Grill
Ranked #1,578 of 2,204 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Bar, International, Mediterranean, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Ladywood
“Shockingly awful”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The manager and door staff are quite frankly rude and illiterate, they wouldn't know class if it slapped them in the face, I arrived for a friends 21st birthday wearing a formal shirt and smartwear jumper, I was then told that I didn't look formal enough so I would not be allowed in their overpriced and pretentious establishment, I replied that I would go home and change to which he told me 'don't bother coming back', one of my friends tried to persuade him to let me into the venue using my custom as a valid reason for entry, to which their supposed 'manager' replied we do just fine thanks we've been here 11 years, well mechus recent 'worst night out in Birmingham title' begs to differ, I would advise anyone to avoid this place unless they would like to be insulted and belittled in front of many other people. P.s. Although you claim your club is the epitomy of class, your club is just as awful as the staff that work there.

• Visited March 2014
18 Thank Natalie67217

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“fantastic choice of music!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We really enjoyed the night at Mechu, after getting taxi from bar to bar because of some pathetic new rule that 'groups' of 4 or more are no longer allowed entry we finally settled here, albeit we did have to split into 2's and spread across the line. How ridiculous is this getting? Anyway excellent music good choice of drinks, staff constantly sweeping/mopping which was nice to see. Few unpleasant people around and that did include some door staff who were seen aggressively removing people (who were not putting up a struggle) and perhaps need some training on customer services. Overall we had a fab night and I would return here!

Visited February 2014
“Not the place it used to be!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I have been going to Mechu on and off for years and have had some very good nights out, but not recently. The good atmosphere and class that this place used to have, in my opinion is now missing. I have never experienced any issues with the doormen while visiting with an all female group however I have while visiting with mixed sex groups on 2 occasions. The last time I went to Mechu one of the males had on a smart button up knitted top but was refused entry on that basis. After a lengthy debate with an arrogant door man explaining that our friend did have a smart shirt on underneath and it was after all the middle of winter we were all allowed entry.

Once inside the bars were too busy, the service slow and unfriendly and the drinks over priced. The women in the toilets were aggressive and intimidating to the point you felt uncomfortable in case you glanced in the wrong direction. Back out in the bar we were stood next to a group of girls who were obviously so intoxicated that they had lost the ability to do anything but dribble and chew their own faces off until it was time to head to the toilets for their next "line" - very classy ladies!!

It may be the case that now I'm nearing my late 20's my taste in venues has changed. However, if like me you're looking for a nice trendy place with a good vibe, great service and a friendly clientele I would not go to Mechu. To me it says a lot when drugged up wannabe's are more desirable customers than smartly dressed working professionals who are likely to cause less trouble and spend more money behind the bar! My advice would be to head to Chameleon if you want a nice venue or to the Jamhouse where there is a more mature crowd and fantastic atmosphere along with doormen who are very respectful and professional.

• Visited November 2013
6 Thank Cazarina85
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mechu Food and Clubbing Experience”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I came to Mechu last week and upon hearing the reviews i was a little worried. Once i got here i was very surprised by how at how friendly and helpful the staff were. We had some great cocktails before we sat down and the seeps of service was efficient. Our Steak was cooked exactly how we requested, our eating experience was superb. Because of this we decided to stay on at the club, when the upstairs opened we found it to be a lot larger than we expected. It was very busy and we couldn't find a seat so we asked the manager if we could sit anywhere, he gave us a small table in the VIP and we ended up staying all night and buying 3 bottles of champagne. Our friends even came from other venues to see us. great night had by all.

• Visited January 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as fancy as it's made out to be”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I went on the Minted at Mechu's night. There was no racism or discrimination of any kind. There seemed to be nowhere to dance, the bar was crowded (and even then the drinks cost too much) and on the whole the guys are older than the girls. If you like good music you can dance to and not the kind of chilled music you hear on Mechu's site, then you may want to try somewhere else. Arrived at 11pm and left by 12.

• Visited January 2014