“RACIST BOUNCERS AND DOORMEN TOWARDS ASIANS”
Review of Mechu Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Mechu Bar & Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Reviewed August 26, 2013

we rang the management on Friday afternoon to book a table. Agent said they are fully booked. But was instructed to get there before 11pm and we would be OK. Told him its 4 lads and was told its not an issue.

We traveled from London and some lads from Leicester. spent lot of money to book hotel rooms. we got there at 10:30. whilst getting out of the taxi outside Mechu heard doorman's walkie talkie go off and someone saying dont let these lads in. The bouncers were rude before we even said anything. we were denied entry for no valid reasons other than we were Asians. The doorman actually said 'its not for you kind'. what does that mean ....

This is the first time I felt victimized for being brown. We kindly told the doorman about the arrangement's but he was like NO. At 15 lads who were white dressed worse than we were just walked in. Loads of other lads walked in and out whilst we were pushed to one side.

Please do not go to this place on matter of principle. Why would spend your hard cash on organisation that is morally bankrupt. do not even give a penny to these morons....

17  Thank jagga194

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Been here loads of times in the past, i was discusted with the doormen & the door policy, they were very demeaning, i had to remind them, they are simply doormen , nothing out of the ordinary with spectacular jobs, i suppose it makes them feel macho, they claimed that my partner was casual, which was a lie, as other people coming out of the club, were dressed similiar, the club has gone downhill, and im convinced its a non asians policy, i spotted a few chavs!, i have had other friends refused , who were dressed very smart.

8  Thank sue k
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This place has gone completely downhill over the last year. Everyone i know in Birmingham hates this place since the new management came in. We have also stopped going to the bar 'Apres', also on summer row, purely because it is owned by the same company.

If you're looking for a good night with the potential to meet nice people this isn't the place. The regulars in here are fake, wannabe's & don't have a personality. You'll have a better chance of a good night/experience on Broadstreet! (Although i wouldn't recommend Broadstreet if you want a classier night out).

1. If you don't look like a Towie extra or a millionaire you'll not get in - They'll find an excuse to refuse entry. I once went with a 'good looking' group and they refused a small less attractive male friend entry because "you're not wearing the right clothes". He was wearing a black shirt with smart shoes & there were people inside with t-shirts on.

2. The big doorman with the blond hair is the rudest, most arrogant and blunt person i have ever met. The doormen talk to you as if you are scum.

3. Grumpy, inefficient, slow staff in general.

4. On an occasion i did get in, the prices for drinks were extortionate & £10 minimum spend on card.

Because of the criteria to get in this place has earned a bad reputation among locals and now is nowhere near as busy as it used to be.

The venue itself has a great interior so it is a shame that the door staff & management have ruined the experience for those who used to love it.

8  Thank Kathryn C
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I have visited this club a few times on and off over a couple of years. I can't take going to regularly as a lot of people in there are wannabes & sleezy men. The door staff mentioned in other reviews have always been fine no problems. However Im 22 year old girl who goes with female friends. If your a man they can be unfair on who they let in and who they don't. The drinks are expensive, bar service ok. Cocktails average really ive had better in pitcher & piano and more presentable. The music is good up and till about 1-2 when it takes a very bad turn. Cheesy, old, repeated songs. When you want to dance it does kill your night out. The toilets are gross also. I think if they improved the music, refurbished the loos or atleast kept them clean. It would be a really good club.

5  Thank Lbel00
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Firstly I’ve never written a bad review in my life but I cannot contain my anger and felt it necessary to warn others!
I've been to Mechu many times for student nights and i thought the staff (by staff I mainly mean door men) treated us like utter dirt on their shoe because we were just 'annoying poor students' but I was wrong. They treat everyone like cr*p even when they are charging more than £7 a drink!
Before coming to the club I checked on their website for a dress code but they didn't have anything on there so instead I looked through the pictures at what the men were wearing and there were men agreeably mostly in shirts but i distinctly saw a man in just a vneck jumper and one of our party wanted to wear something exactly the same so I knew this would be fine.
On arriving to the club he was refused entry because 'he wasn't wearing a shirt and the club has certain standards regarding presentation’.. So I went in to tell the girls already inside the situation and saw a man sat there in a tshirt and he wasn’t the only one, there were plenty of men wearing more casual tops. I discreetly took a photo to show the bouncer outside and he actually said 'well i don't know who it is, for all i know he could be spending £500 on a booth' to have one rule for someone and another rule for someone else just because they haven't got £500 in their back pocket is totally out of order imo. The bouncer didn't just explain he was extremely rude and patronising and shouted at me saying if I didn’t like it he’d kick me out too.
Unfortunately we had to stay because our taxi was over an hour late and we weren't sure if anywhere else was open and our friends had driven hours to come for one of our parties 21st birthday (which we did explain to the bouncer) but our friend in the jumper graciously went home to allow us to continue with our night hoping it would improve.
Considering the bouncers refused us entry because our friend wasn't 'smart' you would expect it to be pretty nice inside. (see images) This was NOT the case.
The place was an absolute tip.
I went to the toilet and when I came out I got shouted at by the toilet assistant for going in the ‘staff toilet’…it had no sign and was in a row of normal toilets and just happened to be on the end. I even had random women sticking up for me saying ‘how on earth was she meant to know’ the assistant eventually backed down after realising I wasn’t being rude but genuinely had no idea.
When charging very expensive prices for drinks you would expect them to have great service but they treat you like scum unless you’re completely loaded spending £500+.
I’ve worked in hospitality for 6 years and I have never known customer fronting staff to be so rude and dismissive. Its disgusting that they can operate like that.

15  Thank Jasmine W