“very good pub food”

Neighborhood: Edgbaston
Winchester, United Kingdom
“very good pub food”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to the white swan with our son to celebrate his graduation at Birmingham University. We were very impressed, the booking online was easy and clear, and they actually replied to confirm which I was pleased with. The pub is well decorated and the has a nice atmosphere, the menu is varied and well priced. The wine choice is good (we had an excellent Sancerre Rose) and reasonably priced. The service was great, we were served by Ileah who was delightful. All in all a pleasant good value lunch, I would be happy to return. The only very slight negative was that it took a while to get seated, but the pub was extremely busy so its not a major issue.

• Visited July 2013
Paul H, General Manager at The White Swan, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
I'm delighted you and your family enjoyed your recent meal with us, the Sancerre Rose is particularly good I must agree!

I'll be sure to look into the issue you mention regarding it taking a while for you to be seated and make this a focus area for the team going forward.

We look forward to seeing you again if you're ever in the area.

Kind Regards

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Food OK but something missing”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

The food was fairly good and the restaurant was very nicely decorated. Staff polite but there was something missing and I won't be rushing back. We requested a couple of small changes to the menu but no flexibility was allowed. I would rate the food good but not very good so have had to rate it average.

• Visited July 2013
Barnsley, United Kingdom
1,179 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,811 helpful votes
“Expensive drinks & slow service!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went here for after dinner drinks with friends.Took ages to get served even when the place was half empty & the drinks were the price you would pay in London, not a Birmingham suburb.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Leedsaway67
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A lovely Sunday roast”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

We had a 3 course Sunday lunch chosen from the Sunday roast menu. Generous portions, quality food, very tasty. Staff were friendly and efficient. 3 courses with a glass of wine and a bottle of water £45 for 2 people that's good value in my opinion.

• Visited June 2013
Worcestershire
“Nearly a rip off”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I and my 3 guests ordered 2 courses.
Food OK but £12 for a pizza? YGTBJ.
Presented with a bill for £112 for food alone. Gulp! Good thing I was sober.
Saw a charge for food we hadn't eaten so got up - embarrassed - but determined.
Charged reduced to £87 with half-hearted apologies from disinterested staff..
Then, on the new bill, I saw something else we hadn't eaten so I went up again to the desk and objected again.
Finally.... third time lucky, the correct bill for £67.
How can a business do this to its customers?
Any apology? None to my guests and not to the level I deserved for being put to this sort of stress in front of them.
Oh, and £4.40 for a pint of Lager? I won't go back again.

• Visited May 2013