Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Star City
$67
Agoda.com
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsentertainment complexaston villafree wifigood sizeshort driveair conditioningcity centreiron and ironing boardlarge roomhot breakfastthe ground floorbreakfast was includedyogurtgood nights sleepfantastic staywould stay againcar park
Reviewed June 7, 2014

After having a very bad experience with Holiday Inn express in luton and Hemel Hempstead i was a little anxious that my company had booked me in there.
How wrong i was.
From check in to departure it was GREAT. helpful staff rooms where clean and very well maintained and the free wifi worked perfectly.
The shower was amazing i have an inner ear problem so my balance is quite bad. (no issues the massive shower in the room had a built in seat).
two types of pillows soft/firm.
Breakfast was great ,scrambled eggs were awesome( i have a thing about scrambled eggs).
The staff were friendly courteous and more than helpful.
If your in the area and need somewhere to stay "thats the place"
Thank you for restoring my faith in Holiday Inns.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Spent 2 nights here for a family event. The hotel was convenient to the venue. It is walking distance to the Star City mall and casino, so decent restaurants nearby. Taxi to City Center £7.
Cons: Rooms all (saw a few since other family/ friends there too) appear to be in need of a refresh. Carpeting was old and stained. Walls scuffed and need re-painting. Need plug outlets by the bed-stands. Lobby/reception area too was not inviting appearing. The tiles were stained and furniture very dated. Looks like last updated in the 1980's.
Pros: Bedding/linens were fine. Shower pressure good. Staff were friendly and helpful. Included breakfast buffet was nice and well stocked.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Rameo66
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Star City, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Rameo66,

Krysllin G.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I have stayed in so many IHG hotels around the world that I've lost count and this has to be the worst Holiday Inn so far. The rooms are good enough but despite the air conditioning looking very nice it simply didn't do anything; the bed was OK however the pillows were completely useless being too small (I thought they were cushions at first) too soft even though the sign said firm, all in all the worst night sleep I've ever had at a HI.
We were sat in the bar talking with friends & family when the staff decided to close the bar without any warning or notice.
Will not be returning to this HI in a long time.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Star City, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Roque1,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you found our rooms good and beds up to par with your expectations.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay was negatively affected by room amenities and the unsatisfactory service received from our staff. We will address these concerns. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us an avenue to improve on what we can offer to achieve 100% guest satisfaction.

Again, thank you and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed May 15, 2014

My stay at this hotel was for 2 nights over a weekend (fri and sat). It was a last minute booking as friends already had a reservation there.

When arriving we were greeted by a lovely lady who gave us info about the local restaurants, entertainment venues, room features and breakfast info.

The room I eventually settled in was the 3rd I had tried, the first had a strange BO smell throughout and was not cleaned very well. The receptionist was more than happy to help and move me to a better room, which is always well received.

The second was a larger double room, but the bed was 2 single mattresses pushed together (this isnt something that I would be comfortable sleeping on). The main issues however were the blood stains i found on the bedsheet and duvet cover. Again I asked for a different room and the receptionist was more than happy to help.

By the third room I was pretty tired of moving my luggage around the hotel and just wanted to get settled. I found the bed hard, housekeeping had left sticky glass/mug rings on the bedside tables and desks, the air conditioning unit didnt work (room 311), and the general cleanliness of the room was pretty poor. The shower was low pressured and leaked from the head and the safety lock on the door was broken.

I didnt want to move again so I made the decision to just unpack in this room (the novelty of moving rooms had worn off). From the other rooms that I saw I got a good idea of what all the rooms would be like and short of wanting to go to a premier inn, I just wanted to get something to eat.

I cant fault the staff, who were welcoming, helpful, polite and lovely. But the rooms are very used and definitely need some renovation as this wasn't a very comfortable stay for me (not when you compare it to the standards premier inn have).

The wifi was fast (although unsecured by password) and the breakfast was suitable for my requirements.

I wouldnt recommend this hotel based on its comfort value, I think housekeeping need to step it up and there needs to be some renovation to the rooms and their features.

Room Tip: Reception was always willing to help me, just remember to be polite and you can always be accommodated.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham - Star City, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2014

Dear OrthancSalt,

Ben J

Reviewed May 5, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel is located in a not very nice part of Birmingham, but is helped by the presence of Star City (just across the road), there's Nando's, chinese buffet and other restaurants, plus a cinema and bowling.
The room itself was bigger than I expected. The bathroom was OK with a big shower with a seat. The TV was an older version that wasn't widescreen, so some of the programmes didn't come up properly, seemed more like LCD display to desktop than hotel TV.
The room was really quiet, despite windows facing the road.
Breakfast was good however missing some more variety for a continental traveller.
I missed some gym or pool where you can relax after long day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business