“Diamond wedding anniversary”

Ranked #3 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
west midlands
“Diamond wedding anniversary”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

my parents had their diamond wedding anniversary lunch here today.. the food was served on time and of a high standard. 25 of us sat down to a 4 course lunch, of starter, main, dessert and tea or coffee. the staff were very friendly and helpful and accommodating.
Will recommend the Olde Rose and Crown to other friends and colleagues.. First class. Also. I would like to say Thank You to Andrew, with whom i have been in contact with all the details.Customer Service is excellent and all replies to queries / questions were answered promptly. We all had a lovely afternoon and compliments were abundant from our guests.

Debra Evans

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank iamdebz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having attended a wedding at this venue on 1st September, we arranged to stay the night along with other guests at a pre agreed price. On checking out on the Sunday we were charged more that what had been agreed when making the original booking. The Manager asked me if I had this in writing, the answer being 'NO' as the hotel management did not have the courtesy to send out a letter of confirmation of the booking along with the price.

The manager was very arrogant and stubborn regarding this issue, even when he had spoken to Marie. He also made snide remarks about other guest who had yet to settle their bill, even asking if they could be trusted not to do a runner!! He then left the desk unattended.

After the wedding had finished a few guests asked if they could get a drink from the bar. The answer again ‘NO’ its closed. All other hotels we had stayed in will continue to serve if you are a resident. Drinks were overpriced.

If stopping here please get your confirmation in writing to avoid being overcharged, which should be standard practice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Anon472
Oldroseandcrownhotel, Manager at Old Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We are very grateful for the comments made in this review and were made aware that unless we took £5.00 off this guests accommodation bill they would be leaving an adverse review as seen above. All point raised in this review are true, but put into context are not as bad as they seem.
So to confirm the rate for a family room for up to 2 adults and 2 children is £85.00 B&B and we don't send out confirmations unless requested to do so.
We had a fantastic relationship with the wedding party and was only being ironic when suggesting to all the guests in reception should I be worried if the best man does a "runner" without paying his bill.
We have a restricted licence that prevents the sale of alcohol out of hours; we do however allow residents to purchase drinks (that are 10% cheaper than any other hotel in a 5 mile radius) that can be consumed after hours and taken up stairs where inevitably the parties continue into the early hours.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The best day ever and the Old Rose and Crown Hotel played a big part. The staff are fantastic, they really worked hard as a team to make for a perfect day. Right from when we arrived, a big effort was made to get our rooms ready early. Lots of guests commented on how friendly the staff were and that they felt very well cared for. The food was speedy and of a high standard. The hotel itself was ideal, nicely furbished rooms and great value for guests. The gardens looked spot on, as they do in the photo above. The whole day went swimmingly well and we'd like to thank everyone at the Old Rose and Crown. Chris & Heather 18th Aug 2012

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I just want to say a massive thank you to all the staff at the hotel, our day was such a perfect day, that we will never forget. The House DJ was great and Marie was amazing, without her I would have been a nervous wreck. The food was fantastic and the room was really nice. We will definitely be back to see Marie and the gang sometime soon for fish and chips.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Folkestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst attending a course nearby, having booked online a week or so before on the strength of the good reviews and excellent rate for single occupancy. Entering the hotel was like going on board the Marie Celeste - it was spookily empty, then suddenly a lady appeared to book me in. Initially I was almost turned away as I was told that there was no booking for me! It took nearly 15 minutes before the lady realised that she hadn't recognised the booking because the e-mail address was not my name - even though the guest name stated on the form was mine. To top it all, instead of receiving an apoIogy, I was made to feel it was my fault!
In spite of the bad start, the room was very comfortable and spotlessly clean. I had room 6, which overlooked the yard at the back and had an excellent night's sleep on all 3 nights, even with the window open, no doubt helped by the thick, heavy curtains. I suspect that the rooms at the front would suffer more from road noise as it is quite busy. The bathroom was small but perfectly adequate and the shower was very good. What impressed me was that the room was fully serviced everyday, with clean towels etc. - not just a "quick flick" round.
Breakfast was a little odd. The lady hadn't said where the breakfast room was and no one was around so I had to hunt for the right room. I had helped myself to cereal and long since finished before anyone appeared to take my order, and even then the service was polite but cold. The food was put in front of me, the girl disappeared and that was that. By morning 3, I knew the ropes and just got on with it, and it must be said that the cooked breakfast was lovely.
All in all, you can't fault the quality of this hotel and perhaps the minimal staffing levels are how it maintains its competitive prices, especially for single occupancy. However, I would have thought that most people choosing this kind of small hotel over an impersonal chain would expect/appreciate a cheery "good morning, the cereals and juices are over there, help yourself etc.".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank FirstMateKent
Grantham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Having lived in Longbridge for 24 years and recently moved to Lincolnshire, I wanted to come and visit friends and family. Well I couldn't have picked a more beautiful place. I am physically disabled (needed help with my cases and breakfast in my room) and the staff were so helpful and did everything to make my stay comfortable. Room 2 is indeed a beautiful room and the views are stunning across the Lickey Golf course and gardens. I will definately be using The Old Rose and Crown when ever i need a trip down memory lane. Thank you to all the staff who made my stay possible and stress free.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Birmingham
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Simply wonderful night. My mothers 70th Birthday combined with Fish and chip supper. Staff were great, food remarkable and the service was brilliant. What more can I say except try it...you'll like it!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Westmead Hotel
Edgbaston
Eaton Hotel
Eaton Hotel
#14 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Old Rose and Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!