“Perfect in Every Way!”

Ranked #3 of 52 Birmingham B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Perfect in Every Way!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

This hotel is EXCELLENT! I would happily recommend it to anyone. Easily one of the best places to stay in Birmingham.
You get the sense that staff really enjoy serving their guests. The welcome is warn and genuine, nothing is too much trouble and the quality of service is second to none.
The hotel is clean and well presented, the rooms are of excellent quality and the food is plentiful.
The hotel is set in beautiful grounds, which is a real bonus.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

For me this is a clean, tidy substitute for a mainstream hotel chain.
The room was good, as was individually prepared breakfast - supported by the usual array of cereals. I was also let in upon arrival in the early hours without any delay or fuss.
My only problem/doubt was that unlike all the other bedding, pillows, duvet etc., which was neatly washed and ironed - the bed sheet itself seemed crumppled and very creased on both sides of the Double Bed - as if it had been overlooked and unchanged from use by previous occupants.
As I felt it was far too late to query the matter with the night porter and I was on my own, I just folded the pristine king sized duvet in two and slept upon it, by just using one side of the bed, rather than have contact with the bed-sheet itself.
However, I feel certain this matter would have been attended to if I had arrived during normal hours.

Room Tip: There appears to be no "Pub Bar" in the normal sense - so buy your own nightcap on the way...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Oldroseandcrownhotel, Manager at Old Rose and Crown Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
We thank you for your kind comments, regarding facilities and location but wanted to reply regarding the bed linen. having spoken to the head housekeeper i can asure you there is always fresh bed linen provided on every new arrival and we are very suprised at any suggestion otherwise, having done a number of secret spot checks i am entirely convinced my team continue to service the rooms to a very high standard.
I much appreciate you bringing this matter to my attention, it doesn't do any harm in ensuring my expectations of the staff are duly met.
Andrew Hodges
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We stayed over night after enjoying our friends reception, it was also our anniversary. The reception was very well organised & the staff were very good. The food, a hog roast with salads, and the desserts were excellent!
Our room was luxurious and easily compared to a 5* hotel in London I have visited. As well as tea & coffee tray with good sized cups & wine glasses, there was also a bowl of fruit. The breakfast was good too. The hotel is set in lovely grounds next to beautiful Lickey Park. We will definately visit this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Having funded two wedding receptions in the last year my wife and I regard ourselves and minor experts in the subject and complete experts when it comes to paying the bill :-)

We are based in Northern Ireland, the first wedding was local and time was on our side. The second wedding was 400 miles and a boat trip away in Birmingham and we had to organise it over several visits – not just so easy.

We had some minor difficulties with terms and conditions (our pervious experience led us to expect to pay the bill in full at the end of the day) and it came as a bit of a shock to be expected to pay the full amount in advance. It transpired that we had not been told that payment in advance was their standard terms and if we had known this when we booked it there would not have been the nasty surprise.

Then we met Marie! I have never met someone who put me so much at my ease, gave me the confidence that she knew her job, was so obliging and then finally, on the day, delivered even more than she promised.

Nothing was too much trouble; every time you looked for her she was there, she just knew where she was needed but she was never imposed or intruded. When we were overrunning with the speeches, Marie provided guidance to help us get back on track. The meal was beautiful (even when we kept the kitchen staff waiting by talking too much)

The room for the civil ceremony was tastefully laid out and again Marie guided us through the planning of an event for which we had no experience and she knew all the do’s and don’ts.

When the ceremony was finished the grounds were great for photographs and the ceremony room was swiftly transformed into the dining room.

We used the hotel’s DJ and again Marie’s advice was flawless and he provided a great night’s entertainment.

All in all, we couldn’t have asked for more. All the staff were great, but there were led by Marie who is someone really special.

Thank you.

(I have no connection with the business and no knowledge of the management or staff other than using the premises as a paying guest.)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Walsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Set in wonderful surroundings the Old Rose and Crown is perfect in so many ways. This is the first place we looked as a venue for our wedding reception and within minutes we had decided this was the place for us! Our initial meetings with Marie allowed us to personalise our day but we couldn't have imagined how perfect it could actually be. Everything had been thought of. The room looked amazing and our blue and ivory colour scheme stood out, the food was tasty which many of our guests commented on. The service from all staff was friendly and professional, anticipating anything that we would need throughout the day leaving us to enjoy ourselves without any worries. An important part of our day was making everyone feel welcome and relaxed and the Rose and Crown made that happen. A home away from home experience. The bedrooms were also very comfortable and meant we could have all of our family stay with us through to the next morning where we had a wonderful breakfast. Thank you for making our day so memorable.

1 Thank Peter S
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Setting was great, weather good, facilities good, Hotel had recently been refurbished and was very comfortable.

Would certainly use the Hotel again, everything was clean and comfortable and the location was ideal for the places we wanted to visit.

A little disconcerning as there were very few hotel staff around, but not a problem.

Room had everything one needed, even wine glasses!

1 Thank Brummie1959
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My son held his wedding reception here in July 2011. All the staff are helpful and friendly. The grounds are beautifully maintained, and the wedding reception room looked delightful. The food was delivered to all guests piping hot (which is unusual for so many)
My bedroom was clean and bright, with a good shower. Cooked breakfast was freshly prepared as you order it. Self service for fruit, cereal, juice etc
I would highly recommond The Old Rose & Crown!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Westmead Hotel
Ladywood
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
Hyatt Regency Birmingham
#7 of 117 in Birmingham

Been to Old Rose and Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!