“Cheap, clean but unnecessarily basic”

Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Ranked #64 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 15, 2012

At £27 for last minute booking it was very cheap. The hotel is clean, the staff are friendly and location very central. But IBIS have made the format far too budget styled and uncomfortable. For example you get a tiny desk and double bed when the room is big enough that you have easily supplied bigger and better at no extra cost. The quality of the fittings were just too cheap and shoddy when with careful specification they could have been so much better. With a but more thought it could easily have been nice and cheap, rather than cheap and nasty.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,092)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

Central, Clean, Basic and Cheap.

The perfect base for gigs at the o2 academy or HMV institute, both within easy walking distance. Taxis are easy to find, as are the pubs and bars. Stayed twice, and on both times it has been very good. Not expecting a 5 star palce just somewhere to crash,

Cant complain for £18 a night

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mrs-U
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel is no more than 15 minutes on foot from New Street station and the city centre. The rooms are clean and spacious, with comfortable beds and all the usual amenities. Rooms can be accessed by lift or stairs, with swipe card key entry to all residential areas. Tea and coffee are not available in the room but can be purchased in the cafe area downstairs. Continental breakfast can be bought on site for a very reasonable price (currently £4.25). Staff on the reception desk are polite and efficient. The cafe area also has a small shop, where 'meal deals' (sandwich, crips, fruit, drink etc), wine and microwave snacks can be purchased (the costs for these snacks were not high, appearing comparable with what would be paid in a typical supermarket). At £27 per night for a clean and convenient double room this hotel provides great value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CaznStu

So glad you had an enjoyable time at the hotel! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

If you want a weekend break which is cheap, clean and central, then look no further. I can't praise it enough, everything you need is right there at an amazing price. I loved the breakfast too. Book it now

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JTP73
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is convenient to the city centre, but for 2 - 3 times the price you can get a hotel in the heart of city centre. The room was small with no closet or shelves but there was space for 5 or 6 items on hangers. There was plenty of space on the floor out of the way for 2 suitcases to lie flat. The sink was in the room and had sufficient space to lay out toiletries. The shower was in a separate stall as was the toilet. Great shower with plenty of space for toiletries. Tiled floor so a bit chilly in bare feet, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We heard no noise in our room except for traffic even though the hotel was booked with many groups of teenagers on coach trips.

We were disappointed that there was no kettle for tea in the morning but tea could be purchases in the lobby, although we chose to find one of the Wetherspoons in town each morning for breakfast.

The price we paid for 4 nights (Th - Sun) was a mere £145! We walked to restaurants/shops/pubs in about 15 to 20 minutes.

Room Tip: Try to get one that isn't facing the main road.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank annielf

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

I know you get what you pay for and at £13.50p.p.p.nI didn't expect luxury but I do expect the very basics which include tea/coffee making facilities, clean sheets and hand soap in the toilet.

The room we were put in suited the purpose but there was no wardrobe or any drawers to store your clothes in but there was a stump on the wall with some hangers on it. The toilet was just a wet room where the water from the shower would flow away from the drain thus flooding the bathroom.

The room is very flat pack and minimalist but at the prices we paid we didn't expect silk sheet

Plus side though there is food available 24/7, a reasonably priced breakfast buffet available downstairs.

My mate and I couldn't complain to much about this hotel, as we were out all day till very late in the evening and only used this hotel to sleep in so it suited us down to a T for the 3 days we stayed there.

I actually would stay in this hotel again despite its flaws as we were close to the train/bus station and other City Centre Attractions that we used so its a very central hotel but far out enough that you do get a quiet sleep.

The few times we used the Reception Desk the staff were courteous and friendly expect when we checked out. We walked up to the desk and a member of staff was there waiting, I said with a smile "Good Morning, we'd like to check out please". She just took the room key card out of my hand and said "OK" before looking at me as if to say "what?!" so it was me the customer who said "Thank you" and "Goodbye" and we left.

I was really annoyed as she never even displayed the basics in Customer Service and its the first hotel that I've stayed in anywhere in the world where we were not asked how are stay was?, thanked us for using their hotel or wished a safe journey home-might not be the most important thing but as a customer its a bit of manners that goes a long way.

Overall though, for the price of our stay and the length of time we actually stayed in the Hotel and in our room it suited us fine and I would stay there again if I had to return to Birmingham.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for posting your comments. We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future. I will be sharing your comments regarding departure with my team to ensure that they are made aware of their actions.

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

My review title says it all very clean basic and affordable perfect to put your head down for a short stay over in Birmingham. Use this hotel fairly regular for nights out cause of the central location and know of a few people who find staying over here cheaper than the taxi fare home - happy days :)

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank ian191
Paul U, General Manager at Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012