“Hotel fine but breakfast was very poor” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel
Ranked #44 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Hotel fine but breakfast was very poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at the hotel on the night of 21.08.13. The booking in was fine and the service was good. No problem with the room and I had a good night's sleep.

However, the service and food at breakfast was disappointing. Firstly I had to wait at the lectern a long time for a member of staff to come and seat me. It had got to the point where I was joking with one of the other guests about the length of time and that I should just walk in. Next I was told they were taking orders for cooked breakfast and so I ordered scrambled egg on toast. I had two cups of coffee whilst waiting for it to arrive. It was a good job that I was not in a hurry. The family sat near me received their breakfast first and moaned that they had been waiting 50 minutes and that eggs were not cooked as they had requested. When my breakfast came the toast was to one side and the scrambled egg on the other. There was a lot of water on the plate which the toast was sat in. I had to mop up the water with a serviette.

Whilst I was sat having my breakfast I saw that other people were having to wait before being seated. At one time a queue had formed and staff were just walking past the lectern.

The breakfast staff working were polite. My impression was that management, leadership and direction was missing. overall it seemed to be a bit of a shambles.

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Spilsby Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great hotel , friendly service, new restruant very good, I liked the automated check in, cannot wait until they change the pillows to down and feather and full sky TV arrives
The new car parking charge of £6 per night was a unpleasant surprise , but the check inn assistant waived it for us!

Peterlee, County Durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Have stayed here a few times previously and all of the them were pretty good. There's generally reasonable value for money given that when I come here the NEC exhibitions are at full steam. Is it right they should charge highest when there's a good chance of full occupancy anyway? I guess it's a commercial decision and the alternatives locally aren't all that much better anyway.

I can't really say there's much wrong with the restaurant that couldn't be fixed inexpensively. The damn toast machine on a morning when the place is busting at the seams is one of the niggles, as is the coffee and hot drink dispensers. They're usually either empty or have a queue out of the door to get to them. I had orange juice instead but I do miss a hot coffee in the morning.
You know what. The actual hotel itself wasn't anything I could lay any complaints about. The room was well presented, the bed was comfy but I'm bl00dy pleased Lenny Henry wasn't there.
What annoys me. What really makes my blood boil is the cheapskate add ons. Free wi-fi? Yeah. Half an hour. I was cut off midway through doing my business banking online with a payment in the pipeline. Bl00dy cheap as $hit operational pocket emptying add ons like this are a damn£d disgrace.
If McDonalds can do free wi-fi and if M&S can do it, if most public malls have a free internet access then why Mr Premier Inn. Why do you see fit to make a charge for it. If you did it to prevent casual visitors from using it, fine. But a fee paying guest should have unfettered access for the length of the stay, and for nowt, cheapskates.

Now onto my other pet hate.
Free parking was always available here. ALWAYS.
I can see a need to manage parking so that perhaps someone who stays here a night before he flies off for a fortnight in the sun and leaves his car parked up can be dissuaded. But I guess they didn't suffer much of that anyway since there's ample low cost parking at the airport.
There's a ticket machine installed now. You have to pay £6 if you stay for anything over a free 2 hours. Of course there's an incremental charge up to the £6 but most people who come here stay overnight. So the cost of nights stay isn't the amount they say it is. Add on a few quid for parking too. Another cheapskate operation.
For those who don't know, the implementation of parking charges is a legal operation on it's own. It's a different thing though if you get a ticket for non payment or for an underpayment. The management company is authorised to issue parking charge notices, that is a penalty charge, for any parking contravention. They are also authorised to take legal action for non payment.
What they don't have though, what they crucially don't have is the right to offer a driver a contract for parking which is the basis of a parking charge notice.. They claim it as being a breach of contract but they put themselves as the principal to that contract and have no legal standing to do so. So, if you happen to pick up a ticket then could I advise you to do a search for a forum called Pepipoo where they advise how to fight these damn things. I can't link to it from here as outgoing links get binned. Oh, you could also claim your money back from the Premier Inn guarantee too. They promise everything nice then you get hit in the fiddly bits with a ticket for £80 or so...... That's enough to spoil anyone's stay isn't it.

So, overall?
Might have to stay here again anyway as I visit the NEC quite often but there are other local-ish hotels and good guest houses that are both less expensive and offer free wi-fi and ample free parking too.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty good but do make sure you get one with a clean smoke free smell as they don'...
1 Thank Lynnzer
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Accommodation was what you expect from a Premier Inn and at £29 a night and a good location for the NEC you can't really complain. Our gripe was with the restaurant, as we had opted for the meal deal they already had our money we arrived at the restaurant to be informed that there were no tables available for 3 hours - we hadn't been informed on arrival that we should book asap. When we were eventually seated we were disappointed that some items on the limited menu were sold out and we were told it was not possible to select from the main menu and pay the difference. At breakfast the following morning I felt sorry for the staff as they were so understaffed although they did try their best to answer everyones requests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank The_Dartmoor_Duo
Dorchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friends and I have been using this Premier Inn for many years and this year we were disappointed. First, you never get a £29 deal when there's a big show, so I don't think of it as a budget hotel. Secondly they have introduced a car park charge of £6 per day, presumably with an eye to the park and fly market. The rooms are excellent, clean and spacious, the staff polite, friendly and beleaguered. The real problem is the restaurant, simply not up to catering for large numbers of people and it's stock control. It's not a big menu, they shouldn't run out of the basics. Also being given a choice of eating at 5.45pm or at 9pm is not good enough. We went out to eat one night, and although the Premier Inn is extremely convenient I think it will be somewhere else for us next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mandella28
Neath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed here recently for two nights whilst visiting the festival of Quilts. Accommodation was very good - immaculately clean, comfortable room, good bathroom. Staff were friendly and polite. We stayed in this hotel last year and, feeling that it was excellent value for money, booked again for the same event this year.
However, on the first night of our stay there was a serious glitch in the restaurant. The menu was severely restricted, and some guests failed to get a meal at all as the supply of food appeared to run out - difficult to believe in a hotel. Many of us spent hours waiting for our meals to arrive, to be told that our order could not be fulfilled.. Staff appeared panicked and disorganised, as well as insufficient in number to cope with a packed restaurant. Indeed we felt sorry for staff who were struggling to pacify the many disgruntled guests when they had to inform them that their meals were no longer available after waiting an hour or more for it to arrive. What made it worse was the lack of explanation from management when approached. Some recompense was offered, in that our meal, such as it was, was not charged for.
We were assured that matters would be resolved by the following evening. Things were much improved, with more staff and availability of food. Service however remained very slow with a wait of over an hour between courses.
Consider whether you should eat elsewhere if you stay here.
Score would be higher had we not experienced the difficulties in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Higher rooms best to avoid disturbance from those leaving early for the airport.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Cymruannwyl
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Management Team at this hotel. Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your review.
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here for two nights for a trade fair at the NEC, we stay at this hotel twice a year and the rooms are always well presented and clean and have air conditioning which is a real bonus.

This time round we discovered they have now started charging for parking £6 per day, which is a bit of a joke considering there is absolutely no alternative place to park so you have to pay.

The other big problem was the restaurant. It has been expanded and this time round the service was rubbish! The order was taken down wrong, stuff arrived with sauces missing or side dishes forgotten. A disappointing restaurant experience this time round and hopefully they can sort it out before we visit again.

It won't stop us staying here as it is convenient with has friendly staff but maybe if the restaurant hasn't improved we will just eat somewhere else each night.

2 Thank CyberWiz