“Great Value For money”

Ranked #33 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great Value For money”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a large premier inn, that has the Bar/Restaurant attached to the Hotel. The rooms are fully air conditioned and quite spacious and the bed was very comfy. THe bathroom had a great power shower. I had added an evening meal and breakfast for £22 for this I got a 3 Course evening meal and a pint of lager with it, plus a full breakfast the next day.The food in the evening was good, but the service a little slow, breakfast in the morning was excellent. A good place to stay overnight

1 Thank Woodsia66
Shahina B, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Goodsia66,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us,

I was very pleased to read your stay was such a good one and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel once again should your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Exeter
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night recently as its close to the business park. Bedrooms are basic and clean with everything you need. Great power shower. Restaurant and bar are ok serves basic meals, similar to any beefeater. Good selection of food at breakfast and all the staff were very helpful. WiFi as in all premier inn's is extra but good signal.

1 Thank SammyJoe37
Shahina B, Guest Relations Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear SammyJoe37,

Thank you for leaving your feedback after your recent stay with us at the Premier Inn NEC.

I am so glad that you enjoyed our location, bedrooms, shower, breakfast selection and the service that the team provided.

We hope to welcome you back when you next visit the area.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed the May Bank holiday weekend with my daughter in a separate room .
On arrival the staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms were pleasant and clean. Breakfast on our first day was plentiful and good. The hotel wasn't full on this particular weekend, so on the Monday breakfast was freshly cooked, which I can only say was yummy. I couldn't fault my stay this time. Hopefully it will be the same next time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christina D
Dear ChristinaD,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy that you had a comfy stay with us and that you were pleased with the location, comfortable bed, cooked breakfast, team service and the cleanliness of the hotel. I shall share your fantastic comments with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I recently had the misfortune to stay at this hotel for 2 nights whilst working at an event at the NEC which is located more or less adjacent to this hotel. From the minute I arrived to the minute I left, my stay at this hotel was punctuated by a series of nightmares which caused me a great deal of annoyance and stress which I could have well done without !! There is NO WAY I will ever stay at this establishment again for the reasons given below.

My problems began upon leaving the NEC to find the hotel. As I was on foot I asked directions how to get there from NEC staff and proceeded to walk to the hotel. On the plus side, it was only about. 5-10 walk to the Premier Inn from the back of Halls 17/18 BUT there is absolutely NO WAY that a pedestrian can access the hotel from this approach as it is totally enclosed by fencing, barriers and gates!!! I had to climb through a broken wooden fence and across muddy grassed areas dragging my suitcase and wearing business clothes to reach the hotel reception as there are no other access points. Unbelievable !! especially as there are clearly marked pedestrian walkways from the NEC to the hotel and the adjacent car parks but no way for a pedestrian to reach the hotel !!! Apparently this hotel is only accessible to or welcomes guests who have cars???

The next nightmare was on check- in. I was asked whether I would like to eat in the hotel restaurant that night? As I was traveling on my own, was tired and hungry and without a car to go and find anywhere else to eat my intentions were always to eat at the hotel, I had even telephoned the hotel the night before to check whether I needed to book a table and was told there was no need as the hotel was not busy! When the receptionist telephoned through to the restaurant to book a table for one, she was told by the restaurant manager that I could either eat at 6.15pm (it was now 6.10 and I hadn't even checked into my room) or after 8.00pm, there were no other options available, end of!

I could not believe what I was hearing - especially as I had phoned ahead to pre-check the dining situation!!! I was then given the 'options' of either eating my dinner in a crowded bar full of sales men attending an NEC trade-show which, as a single female traveller I was not comfortable doing, or to take my meal up to my room and sleep all night in a stinky room smelling of food and full of dirty dishes! I had worked a long day and now the prospect of having to go to bed without being able to have a hot meal was almost too much to bear so I just walked away and decided to go to my room and decide to what to do next after I had a chance to calm down. BTW, my allocated room was fine, clean and well equipped.

Anyway, after unpacking I decided to complain once again about the dining situation so went downstairs to speak to the duty manager. Mark, as he was called, was very courteous and pleasant and somehow miraculously found me a table in the restaurant for 7pm. Funny that isn't it? given that he was apparently the same restaurant manger who previously had said he had no room for me! I had a perfectly pleasant meal in a restaurant which was by no means full, which made the whole nonsense about not being able to find me a table when I checked in even more ridiculous!!

On leaving the hotel the next morning to go to the NEC, I firstly asked the duty receptionist for the times that the shuttle bus to the NEC would leave. I was told that 'as the bus service was nothing to do with Premier Inn, they had no information about the service'. Unbelievable, given that the hotel's whole reason for existence is it's close proximity to the NEC therefore you would think hotel reception would have this information to hand to help the high percentage of it's guests who stay there whilst visiting the NEC??? I then outlined the difficulties I had in accessing the hotel grounds the day before and asked if there was any other was of leaving the hotel to walk to the NEC without climbing over/through fences? Other than being told that the hotel does not recommend climbing through fences for 'health and safety reasons' I was given no real help/directions to assist me and once again I had to climb under a broken' muddy fence to leave the hotel grounds to walk across the car park that led me to the NEC. I was not the only person to do this, during my stay I saw at least 20 other guests do the same thing thereby proving they also could find no other way to leave the hotel and to reach the NEC on foot!!

The final and by far worse event which occurred to me while staying at this hotel was on the morning of the final day when, on checking my bank account online, I noticed a sum of over £60 had been debited to my account by the hotel during my stay but it did not correspond with anything I could recognize as having spent. I reported the matter to the receptionist on checkout who could not explain what the amount was for or who had charged it, other than to say it had not been charged against my room, it had probably happened in the bar or restaurant. As unbelievably there were no managers on duty at 9.10am!! I was promised a call from a manager once they had arrived at work and had looked into what had happened! I had a call within the hour from the duty manager called Sue who advised me that somehow another group's restaurant and bar bill had been added onto my bill!!' She could not explain how this had happened but assured me that I would be refunded that day BUT in order for that to happen I would have to go back to the hotel with my card. As I was leaving to travel back to London later that day, I had no choice but o leave the event I was attending for work, walk back to he hotel, climb back under muddy fences to meet Sue to get my refund sorted out :( Whilst very apologetic, she still could not explain how the error had happened which suggests to me that there are certainly some security and staff training/supervision that needs to be addressed in this establishment. The thought that my bank account was accessed in this way appalled me and I am just so glad I checked my bank account the morning I checked out so I could get the matter resolved before leaving Birmingham!

I have stayed at a lot of different hotels across the UK and, all in all, my stay at the Premier Inn, NEC was the most stressful nightmare I have ever had and there is no way I would stay there again or recommend the hotel to my colleagues or anyone else! My company has a business account with Premier Inn so I will certainly be feeding all of this back to my Finance Manager too. Very poor :(

1 Thank Katalin R
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Birmingham Nec/Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to deliver a high standard of service and I sincerely apologise that on this occasion we have failed to achieve this. Please email your booking details to talktous@premierinn.com and we will ensure this is followed up with the Management Team. Thank once again for taking the time to leave your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The decor is bland, the feel lacks soul, but its really good value for money. The room is large, the bed even larger, and the shower almost knocks you off your feet. The breakfast was plentiful and my poached eggs freshly prepared.

I was particularly pleased with the 30 mins free wifi thrown into the price - just enough time to check emails and diary for the next day - really good not to have to pay for a brief time online.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank oohnooh
Dear OohNooh,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the buffet breakfast, comfy bed, free wifi and that the value and service was to your satisfaction. We offer all our guests great value for money and I will share your nice comments with the team.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Plymouth, UK
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Myself and 3 colleagues were unfortunate enough to stay here for a conference at the NEC.

On first inspection the hotel, appears friendly, clean and fairly welcoming... And it was... But that was were the nice parts ended.

The bar / restaurant in the hotel are far too small for the size of the hotel, we arrived at 7:30 and had to wait until 9:15 to get a table in the restaurant  after a 4 hour drive. Thankfully we ended up finding a space in the bar at 8:45... We ordered our meals together, however each individual starter was brought out separately at 5 minute intervals followed 40 minutes later by our mains again separately. 2 of my colleagues were left without food until they chased it up, then 20 minutes later their salads appeared... The wrong salads but at least they had food.

I went to bed fairly early needing a good nights sleep, which I did not get, the room was scorching hot with no way to cool it down, the air con appeared in the room but no controls to adjust, the window couldn't be opened without the sounds of the cars passing and an incessant clicking from the bathroom all night long afforded me a very poor nights sleep... Happy and well rested Was was not

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank alan_meyrick
Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please email your booking details including your reservation number to talktous@premierinn.com and we will follow this up with the Management Team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked here for the night after a trip back from Lanzarote so were quite tired when we arrived at 12:10am. They didn't have our booking which wasn't the fault of Premier Inns; however they did find us a room. They also accommodated us at the bar as I was concerned it might be closing. Staff were very helpful and very friendly. Breakfast was very good and again the staff are very helpful and friendly. I love the beds and duvets at the Premier Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pauline K
Dear PaulineK,

Thank you for leaving feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed a relaxing stay with us and I will pass on your lovely comments to the team. We pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service and we are always pleased to recieve any feedback from our guests.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.