Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel
Ranked #19 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We won't repeat as others have all the usual good things we've come to expect and appreciate about Premier Inn - we were not disappointed. Just want to say how helpful and efficient everyone is here. The thermostat didn't work in our room and we were too hot which we mentioned to the receptionist the next morning. She immediately offered us sheets or another room which we declined and so she said the thermostat would be looked at. We returned after lunch to find everything back in working order -great service. Breakfast very enjoyable - we had poached eggs each morning and they were just right - certainly better cooked than in some hotels we have stayed in. Whoever does the appointing of staff and staff training at all the Premier Inns does a fantastic job - we have stayed in several and have always found everyone cheerful and nothing is too much trouble. Thank you Brindley Place - we plan to be back at the end of January weather permitting!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Operations M, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Ruthjohn19,

Thank you for your wonderfull review of our hotel and staff! We are really pleased to see that you loved your stay with us.

I will pass on your great feedback to our staff here and we look forward to seeing again in January!

Kindest regards,

Siham Clarke

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Great service from all staff. Very good breakfasts Car park machine accepts coin and most cards Check location and directions with care to ensure correct SatNav code Minor contractor noise possible - see website note

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Operations M, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Beljus

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel I am glad to hear that you received great service from our staff and enjoyed breakfast.

I hope that you will come and visit us again soon and experience our new refurbished hotel once it is complete.

Regards
Preeti Nagra

Reviewed September 17, 2013

we were woken at 1am by several loud voices on the road outside the hotel having a domestic. Given that the hotel is in a residential area this should not be a total surprise however, when I raised this with a member of the hotel staff in the morning she was not interested - so much for the "Good Night Guarantee".

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear trevsher,

thank you for your review and i am sorry to hear that you didn't have a good night's sleep!

We do guarantee our nights and i do agree that the receptionist should have refunded you under the guarantee. I will ensure that all the reception team are re-trained to make sure this does not happen again.

I hope thisbexperience has not put you off staying with us again in the future and we look forward to having you at Premier Inn Brindley Place again soon!

Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here to watch Jack Johnson at the symphony hall (5 minutes walk away). Very well located with lots of places to eat nearby. We stayed in one of the newly refurbished rooms which was lovely. Staff were very friendly at all times.

Yes, the workmen woke us up in the morning but we were warned about this when we checked in. The car park charge was a bit of a surprise. Maybe it should just be added in with the night's stay when you pay online. Did not choose to have breakfast as we thought £8.25 was quite expensive.

All in all a good stay.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear sonja6920

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel I am glad to hear that you liked our new rooms, and that staff were friendly.

I apologise that the builders disturbed you.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards
Preeti Nagra

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel and was very positive at the time. This stay I was not so lucky.

There is extensive refurbishment going on for the next few weeks. Half the car park is closed although I assume a similar amount of rooms are unavailable. It is not going to be possible to have a sleep in past 07:30.

The car park is now chargeable. £5 per day. While that is reasonable I was told I couldn't pay for it on my Premier inn business card. I had been allowed to on a previous stay here and elsewhere. I'm also sceptical about the use of private parking companies in the hotel chains due to their tactics. I will always pick a hotel that offers ample free parking as a rule where possible.

It also says on the business card website that it can be used for parking. "Do away with receipts"!! Reception told me I would have to get a receipt and claim it back.

There is no onsite restaurant for evening meals. It used to be Old Orleans they closed 3 years ago. Now that is finally being done up into something else. The quick access to Broad street has been closed since then and you now have to walk around the back.

Now for the positives: The staff are great especially Sevi, the breakfast is the best, I will certainly come back when the refurb is finished.

Room Tip: Avoid the car park side
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Operations M, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Dear Mr Pauljs2012,

Thank you for your review of our hotel! Yes we are undergoing refurb works throughout September and October so there is noise between the hrs of 8am and 6pm. Also our car parking is limited throught this period, however there is alternative car parking nearby!

I appologise that you were told you could not pay for car parking with your Premier Inn Business Account card and will make sure all team member here are made aware!

Looking forward to having you here with us soon, so you can experience our new refurbed rooms!

Team Leader

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I really enjoy staying at premier inn's however, this is one of the worst. No on site resturant, you have to pay to park in the hotel car park and it just seems to be in the middle of a residential street. The staff were lovely though - wont be back at this venue again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Operations M, Manager at Premier Inn Birmingham Broad Street (Brindley Place) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear AIMEE S,

Thank you for your review! Yes we do offer evening meals on site but we are very well located within the Birmingham City Centre, and there is plenty of choice around us within only a 2 to 5 mins walk.

Car parking is now chargeable at £5 / 24hrs and this is the case at all City Centre Premier Inns. This is a reasonable price for a city centre car park.

I do hope that we will see you again soon!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I missed the warning on the hotel's website : "Bedrooms are insulated to minimise possible noise disturbance in this major city centre location." and also other TripAdvisor reviews about the noise from the nearby clubs so I have only myself to blame for suffering and will not mark down the hotel in this review for that noise. We - family of 4 - arrived at midnight on a Friday and heard the booming bass beats as soon as we opened the car doors in the car park. Suffice to say: if you are very sensitive to noise, this hotel is not for you on (at least) Friday and Saturday nights due to the very loud music coming from Broad Street until the wee hours. If you're merely sensitive to noise, you should be alright with a room around the back where the booming is much less audible, though it still comes and goes. We ended up trying 4 different rooms on our first night in order to find enough peace to sleep and ended up being split into 2 twin rooms rather than one family room - full marks to Tim on reception who was very helpful and kind with us and thank goodness there were spare rooms facing away from Broad Street.

In addition, one of the twin rooms (on the quiet side) had a broken window catch so the window wouldn't close properly and this didn't help the situation. Being desperate (there being no other rooms available on the quiet side), I did manage to fix it by going at it with a coat hanger for 15 minutes so by the time I went to sleep the room was relatively quiet, except for the loud clicking noise every 70 seconds, all night long. It turns out this was the smoke detectors and affected many of the rooms in the hotel that night, and was caused by the renovation work. It was fixed (at least in the room we were in on the second night) by the following evening.

Finally, to cap it all we also had both room doors and car doors being slammed at what seemed like all hours. So, between booms and clicks and slams, our first night was pretty miserable.

There was other noise too - the renovation work being done and mentioned on the website starts at 8 a.m. including Sundays so if your room is directly under those being renovated or is on the same floor then there's no chance of a long lie. I can only presume that the hotel management took the decision to start so early each day in order to have the work finished and the rooms available for rent as soon as possible, and though the website says "every effort will be made to ensure that you are not disturbed during your stay" I think that authorising workmen to start at 8 a.m. on a Sunday shows a certain degree of cynicism.

I have another gripe for the management too. Our 10-year old asked for a hot chocolate at breakfast time which had been available in many of the other Premier Inns. However, we were told that although other customers had asked for the same thing and management had been informed, it wasn't available. Nor was Early Grey tea, which seemed very strange and didn't go down well with the sleep-deprived.

The staff were the best part of the hotel : they were all very helpful and understanding, and were great, even by Premier Inn standards, which we've found to be very good. If this review was just about the staff, it would easily get 5 stars.

The hotel location is very central - our daughter was playing in a concert at Birmingham Symphony Hall which is a 10 minute walk away. I thought the car park charge was reasonable too for such a central location (though the workmen did block us in when they arrived at 8 a.m. on the Sunday morning as we were leaving to go to the airport - but they did move, quite quickly, when we asked them to, twice).

This review has turned out more negatively than I was expecting it too. I wouldn't stay here again, but I wouldn't have stayed here in the first place if I'd read the reviews more carefully before booking. As I say in the title - great staff, central location, not for the noise-sensitive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear sejc,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us! As it states on our website, we are undergoing a refurb (long overdue!!) and there will be some noise between the hours of 8am till 6pm up till the 20th October. I am however glad to see that our staff took good care of you abd that you were pleased with their service.

I will now make sure that we have some hot choclate available and i do hope that we will see you again, after the refurb is complete, so you can experience the new rooms and beds that we will have, which i am sure will be to your liking.

Kindest regards,