“Good basic standard.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Corsham, England
“Good basic standard.”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a Sunday/ Monday business event. As mentioned by others, the accommodation is along dormitory lines, but imagine that at a good Travelodge standard.

The room was clean, smart, had all the standard Freeview channels, and the breakfast was well presented. Phenomenely fast free wifi, I downloaded a 550mb BBC iPlayer programme, in under 10 minutes.

The bathroom is small, but perfectly servicable, and the shower was lovely.

In conclusion, I wouldn't have picked this hotel myself, but having stayed here, it's difficult to criticise the offering. The conference facility was very good too and I'd recommend that.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I stayed here for seven days on business earlier this month and have to say that on balance I really didn't enjoy myself. Many of the staff were exceptional, and certainly did their best to deal with some of the issues but the accumulation of them leaves me very reluctant to advise people to stay there.

First, the positives. Room on the face of it really nice, dual aspect, separate office section and modern decor. Staff bent over backwards to be helpful, and were able to solve most of the problems that arose quickly and professionally. The building itself was fresh and modern.

Now, the less pleasant bits:-

1. Location. Unless you know the area very well it's almost impossible to find the parking facilities for the hotel. The sat nav takes you to within 100 yards of it but the whole area is pedestrianised so you have to drive around the outskirts of the university campus where you eventually find the parking. A very helpful receptionist directed me by telephone but I arrived frustrated and bemused. A quick read of other reviews confirms this is a well-known issue...so what don't they sort it? It's also worth pointing out that it's too close to the city centre for a hassle free drive in and out and too far away from it to easily walk in.

2. Noise. The Saturday night of my stay was punctuated by horrendous noise from a nightclub across the street...the room was literally shaking and closing the windows (which barely open) made no difference. This started around 6pm with the testing of their sound system and then kicked off into deafening constant noise from around 10:00pm onwards. All chance of a relaxing evening was lost. To be fair the staff moved me to another room at the other side of the building for the evening and I suppose the noise is beyond their control, but it's outrageous that it was so loud at all and that nothing could be done about it. If you intend to stay at a weekend...well, be warned!

3. Smell. There was a horrendous smell coming from the bathroom. Admittedly this was sorted the next day but I don't understand how it could have been classed as clean by whoever supervises the housekeeping.

4. Temperature. There's no air conditioning and even in mid-May this meant that the room was too hot...too much waking up in the middle of the night to be fresh for meetings the next day.

5. The 'gym'. Basically it's access to the university sports centre (and I think it's also used by general members of the public). It was just too fiddly to use. You need a voucher from the hotel reception for every visit and have to take the towel from your room with you (and woe betide you if you don't because the signs and staff at the sports centre make it very clear you'll not be welcome without the towel being carried at all times). There is a raft of paperwork to complete and funny little ways of doing thinks that reminded me of the Brittas Empire (showing my age!). The pool shuts too early to be of any use at all after a day of work, and there are separate wet and dry changing areas so using the gym and the sauna involves all manner of cafuffle. I went once and didn't bother after that.

Other colleagues staying for the same meetings were delighted with city centre hotels. I wish I had done the same. Yes, there were good parts to the place, but unless they address the clear issues then I won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the nightclub as possible!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mrcrangle
Paul B, Public Relations Manager at Conference Aston Hotel, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your experience with the hotel, I am pleased to hear that your feedback on the team is so positive and have ensured that this is passed on.

I'm sorry to hear that other areas of your stay fell so short of expectation, we are always looking to improve our guests' experience and take all of the feedback we receive into our planning and development across the hotel.

We have further plans to introduce signage around the outskirts of the campus later this year, once the final stage of refurbishment of the Aston campus has been completed in September and hopefully make the new permanent signage more visible and easy to follow for our conference and hotel guests. We aim to assist guests with transport to the city centre wherever possible, so for those who don't wish to take the ten minute walk or short drive to Bullring, we have taxi ranks on the campus to avoid the hassle of parking. We appreciate that some of the other city centre hotels are based closer for those who prefer a quicker, easier journey.

I'm sorry for the noise issue during your stay, please be assured this is not a regular occurrence, but I appreciate this does not negate from the inconvenience caused during your stay. I am pleased to hear the team were able to offer you an alternative room to attempt to help alleviate the noise issues from the night club. This is not a regular weekend club offering where noise issues are so prevalent for hotel guests, but unfortunately the venue is not a part of Conference Aston, so we are unable to directly influence the larger special events, as on this occasion, which seldom take place. There are longer term plans which will see the nightclub relocated.

Our housekeeping team are very vigilant with regards to standards of cleanliness and investigate any instances such as the smell you encountered in your bathroom. Please rest assured that the smell was not linked to the cleanliness of the room.

We do try to ensure our guests' comfort during the summer through other means, however, we take all of the feedback regarding room comfort on board to ensure any future refurbishments take this into account to look at the option of a more eco-friendly cooling system if possible.

I will ensure your feedback regarding the use of the sports centre is also taken into account as we look at the services available to our hotel guests. As we are able to offer an extensive gymnasium, instead of a smaller in-hotel gym, guests do have to fill out a few details, the same way they would should they be visiting a Virgin Active gym or similar commercial gym. As you quite rightly mentioned, the gym is a members' gym, so it operates to ensure guests are using the facilities safely and to ensure support is provided as needed.
The pool is usually open in an evening until between 7pm or 8pm most nights of the week. I'm sorry to hear it was closed early during your stay, we will look to ensure we advise guests more effectively should the pool be unavailable outside of the advertised times. As our sports centre is a listed Victorian building, we are limited on internal configurations to provide one large central changing facility due to the location of the original pool and sports hall. The facilities were fully refurbished two years ago, whilst restoring as many of the original features as possible, so although there are separate areas, they are quite new and well maintained for guests using them.

I appreciate your experience has left you somewhat uncertain as to whether you would wish to return, but I can assure you we are working on the areas of feedback you have left and hope you may return in the future to see that we are always taking feedback on board and acting on it.

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Bude, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here as part of a conference, loud music til midnight. Couldn't shut windows-jammed and too hot in room!!Reception not interested, barely apologised! Impossible to find, not even labelled when standing right outside it. Swimming pool shut on evening I stayed-useless!

Room Tip: Stay some where else
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Stayathome69
Thank you for your feedback, I am sorry to hear that your stay at the hotel fell short of expectation, this is certainly not the standard that we would hope to deliver.

I have passed on your comments to the appropriate teams to ensure we are providing a responsive and helpful service should such issues arise for guests staying in the hotel and try to resolve them there and then. Where possible, we will always try to accommodate guests in an alternative room, should there be a problem with their room. We will endeavour to ensure this is consistently the case in the future.

We are constantly reviewing the signage around the hotel to meet the needs of our guests and will take your comments on board in this area as well as we make further additions to the hotel signage.

Again, our apologies that the services you encountered fell short of expectation. We do take all of the feedback we receive on board and hope that you may reconsider staying at the hotel again where I hope we can significantly improve on your previous visit.
Keighley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I have just attended a weekend workshop at the Aston and what a surprise. The staff were excellent with good old fashioned service. Everyone one of them genuinely loved their job and took such a pride in the place. On the desk to greet me was Justin who could have not been more helpful at the end of a very long journey. Next morning Carolyn in the restaurant was so lovely and nothing too much trouble and stayed and chatted with me for a while because at one stage I was the only person in there. In the evening we decided just to grab a quick meal and Barbara at the bar again genuinely lovely and even adapted the menu for us. The staff are a credit to the place.

My room was very clean and had everything including an ironing board and desk fan. Absolutely no complaints for the amount paid. I had booked a single and got a double which again was a lovely surprise. Parking was a bit limited and £7.50 a day to park at the hotel but again you are in a big city so I assume this is the going rate.

The conference facilities were excellent, spacious and well equipped.

All round this was an excellent experience and would recommend this place to anyone whether attending a conference/workshop or just needing to stay in Birmingham. We are back there again in October and will be booking again ASAP.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback on your time at the hotel, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that it was so positive within the hotel and the conference centre, particularly with the team.

I have passed your kind comments on to each of the teams regarding your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in October!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Check in was fast, rooms are clean and a nice size. Wifi good. Beds maybe a little small. Staff nice. Breakfast was really great, we enjoyed the breakfast a lot and the service at breakfast was really efficient! Hotel very quiet and in a good location pretty close to the centre of town.Overall we would stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your feedback on the hotel and your time with us, I'm pleased to hear your experience was quite positive, particularly with the restaurant and breakfast service.

I will ensure that your comments are passed to the team and hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Went to a weekend long conference in Dec 2013 and April 2014 and stayed 2 nights each occasion. Both rooms were same set up/standard, just one was pink and the other was orange. Very very small. Bed too hard. Bathroom very tiny. Shower good but floor gets very slippery and I nearly fell. Did not get any sleep before 3am because of the noise from the student pubs. layout of the place is also weird - you need to use a specific lift or stair well to get the the ground floor. Its like a maze. Food in restaurant very basic. The bar and lounge areas are comfy and relaxing. Trying to find the car park at the back of the conference center was impossible. All in all it was a good place for the conference - just not a good hotel and I am glad I don't have to go again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
BuncePS, Public Relations Manager at Conference Aston Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us, I'm sorry to hear your experience wasn't as positive as it could have been.

I will ensure I pass your comments to our operations team regarding our restaurant service and bedrooms. We are always keen to hear feedback on our services and facilities to ensure our planning and investment improves the experience of all of our guests.

We are hoping to install additional signage on the entrance to our carparks very soon to ensure they are clearly identified for guests arriving by car.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I've stayed here a few times for work and the first time was great. Every time it seems to have got a little worse for the same price.

The most recent time I visited, the bed I got was extremely uncomfortable in a very small, hot room. Opening the windows caused a lot of noise from the air conditioning to come into the room. This wasn't even in the height of summer, so I wouldn't like to be in that same room during a hot week.

I will say that the breakfast staff are extremely pleasant and the hotel as a whole does a very good job of catering to special requests. The check in times can be quite long and they don't seem to keep a record of your details from previous stays. The staff at reception can be a little inconsistent with the way they work as well.

I didn't get a chance to use any of the conference facilities of the hotel, but the included gym and swimming pool pass is an excellent extra and the hotel is in a good location for access to the nearby universities.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to give your feedback on your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant team, we have passed these to our teams.

I'm sorry to hear that some of the other parts of your stay were not quite as positive, we have taken these comments on board to ensure we are concentrating on the full guest experience across the hotel and developing our people to provide an excellent standard of customer service, consistently across all areas.

We are hoping to improve our heating controls as part of our environmental consideration to ensure temperature control is appropriate to the time of year.

I sincerely hope we can welcome you back to the hotel for an experience more equivalent to that of your first stay with us.