“Lots to do and see, better than expected”

Thinktank Science Museum
Ranked #30 of 283 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Thinktank is Birmingham's unique and award-winning science museum housed at Millennium Point in the heart of the city.  This exciting attraction offers ten galleries of historical artefacts, modern interactives and fantastic futuristic facts. You can explore everything from aircraft and steam engines to intestines and taste buds - and even emotional robots!  Thinktank is like nothing you've ever seen before and will stimulate your mind whatever your age.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking
74 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Lots to do and see, better than expected”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

For a family of four it cost £35 pre booked. Car park was £3 on Sunday and was a short walk from the museum, found it easily with the Sat Nav. My son went with school and wanted to go agsin, he especially wanted to go to the outdoor science garden but as we went in January this was closed. We did get a free ticket to go back to the garden only. There was a film showing in the planetarium, which kids enjoyed (6 and 11 year old boys). Museum is split over a few floors. Cafe on bottom one, We took a picnic and there is a seating area near the cafe for your packed lunch, I did also buy a jacket potato and salad for £2.60, normal meals i.e. fish and chips were £6 onwards, but they did do pieces of pizza etc at a reasonable price. All staff were friendly and helpful. There was a craft session which my 6 year old enjoyed, this was in the picnic area so no picnics after 3pm lol. The gift shop had a few small pocket money toys but I found some of the gifts expensive. My boys spent their xmas moiney on lego kits in there. The kids city was one of their favourite things, lots of pretend play going on with a lot of props, there was a cafe, garage, doctors, working telephones and a water bit etc, some of it looking tired but still enjoyed by all ages. Lots of displays and interactive displays to mess with, some were not working but around 85% were working, all sorts from steam engines and a train to a working mini, robots, and a working digger which you controlled to scoop balls up (the type that you normally pay a £1 to use). Loads of different topics and displays, I also learnt some things! We spent all day there, I did not think we would looking at some of the reviews but it depends on what your expectations are, I went with an open mind and if you are not going to stop and look at everything and do the experiments and interact with the displays then you would find it boring, you can't go expecting to be entertained, you have to participate as well, a little bit.

Visited January 2014

• Polish first
Stoke on Trent
166 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 172 helpful votes
“Well Worth It At A Quiet Time”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My husband has long been planning a trip here, and we decided to break up the sofa slobbing between Christmas and New Year with a trip here. Expecting it to be busy, we planned to be there early and meet my inlaws at 10am. Whilst the museum is well signposted, parking is not obvious at the moment. There is a new multi-storey behind the museum, situated up a 'new' road, but this is not obvious. We were one of the first in the multi-storey - but there were no directions from there to the museum - which perhaps is not such a problem, however we had no idea where to get in! Signage is very poor.

Once we had got into the building, it was much better. We had booked tickets in advance which were quickly sorted. Once inside, you are left to your own devices though there were plenty of staff around. Unlike 'traditional' museums, there is not much formal division of sections, however this is endearing. Our 2 year old daughter enjoyed the kids city area, though I can imagine this gets very busy at peak times.

There are 4 floors of displays, with lots and lots of hand on activities to try yourself. Whilst there were a few not working, there was still lots to do. On the ground floor is the cafe - we stopped for a drink, which was overpriced, but to be honest, that is rarely the case in museums now! There is an outside area/discovery garden, but this was closed between Christmas and the end of January.

Overall, this is a really great museum, particularly for kids and inquisitive adults, however I would suggest planning your visit carefully for a quiet time if you want to take your time.

Coventry, United Kingdom
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good for young children”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have an annual pass so have visited many times over the last year with my children who are 8 and 5. They really enjoy it here and love the garden when it is open - currently closed until end of Jan.
Our pass expires at the end of Feb so we will pay another visit before then but after that we wont renew as there are only so many times you can visit.

Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Would not recommend for adults”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

If you want to enjoy anything at all in the museum, go on an off day when few others are there. I wish I could rate the actual museum, but unfortunately due to reduced/free admission for small children I have no real idea of how it is. Kids were running and screaming everywhere, with absolutely no control exerted whatsoever by parents--or staff. I've been to many museums in my life and have never seen one so wrought with chaos. I will never go here again and would not encourage anyone who has an actual appreciation for learning about science to waste their money on their overpriced admission.

3 Thank Neroics
Coventry, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the price”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We visited last Sunday (8/12/13) it was high time we treat the boys. I've been thinking of going here but always postpone it because of the admission charge (as there's lots of museums around, any amount of charge seems expensive).
Well, I must say it was worth it. There was lots of things to do and learn. The place is across 4 floors and an interactive playground outside - there's a planetarium, robotics, electricity, recycling, engines, anthropology, biology and kinetics. We were there from noon until 5pm and we leave because it was closing. Each has explanations on activities and tips for adults to enrich the child's learning.
Abundance of facilities, lots of toilets, lots of spaces for children to run around. There's a cloakroom and space for us to have our own packed meal, and a cafe to buy sandwiches. The staffs are friendly.
But its the small things that impresses us, staffs who noticed children at lost at an exhibit will come and demonstrate, real person talking at the other end of the telephone for the kid's role playing area and catering the needs of the minority.
We will definitely visit it again and contemplating of buying the annual pass, which is a good value.

1 Thank ANisDla