“Can do a lot better!”

Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Dublin
“Can do a lot better!”
Reviewed July 28, 2009

There are some good and some bad points to the hotel. We got an early check in and most staff were very friendly and helpful. Free WiFi. The hotel is clean and our room was cleaned each day of the stay. To the bad points...... The room was very small, the shower pressure was a joke for any hotel. Food in the bar was over priced (didn't experience the restaurant) after pointing out a problem with an order the staff member said he knew about it and had an agreed a refund with his manager - then why wait for me to complain before offering this? The minibar and other extras prices are not advertised - be warned! The SPA prices were overpriced. I understand people will say that you should expect this from a 4 star hotel but I still feel that £45 for a pedicure is a little over the top! No car parking provided - there is in another carpark at £14 per night!
I'm really disappointed that I booked the Radisson. I would not stay here again. The location is close to New Street station and The Bullring . There are plenty of Hotels in this area which all have good access to travel links and shops/restaurants - stay in one of them not here.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
West Yorkshire
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Arrived quite late after 10pm they couldnt find our booking and we were hanging around reception for about 10 mins before they located us. The room was lovely and bright, very modern and relaxing with nice toiletries although the TV was a bit small. Lovely floor to ceiling window with a view of the roundabout but hey your in Birmingham it was wierdly interesting to watch. Location is very good for New St Station and about 10-15 min walk (30 if intoxicated) to Broadstreet, the mailbox for a nice meal over the canal is 5-10 mins. All in all a nice place for a city break in Brum, only downside is no swimming pool!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2009

I stayed here for a business meeting and found the Radisson to be very pleasant.

The good points were -
*A lovely big comfy king size bed.
*Nice spacious room that has all you need - tea and coffee making facilities etc.
*Very good restaurant if a tad on the pricey side - not to worry though I wasn't paying.
*A decent selection of things for breakfast - full english if you want it.
*Close to the centre of town and New St station.
*I found the staff to be polite and attentive.
*I got 2 glasses of wine for free for my honesty in pointing out an error on the bill in my favour. They let me off.

Bad Points-
*The hotel is situtated right near a busy roundabout with a park in the middle of it that had some hoodlums hanging about in it. Quite an unpleasant view from the window.
*Some traffic noise even on the 8th floor.
*The promise of a free quarter pint of milk that was left in the room was almost 2 hours later than requested.
*Wasn't hugely impressed with my first experience of Birmingham but I can't blame Radisson for that.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
UK
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This review is the harsh truth behind the experience at this hotel,shared by numerous other guests, and should be taken with serious consideration. Please do not be put of by the length of this review as all comments are valid and serious.

Upon my arrival to the hotel, i was bombarded with extra costs on top of the already paid for room, that i had booked via the internet. When asking for an explanation behind these costs,the hotel staff were lost and did not explain the reasoning in any logical way. The room itself was already expensive and these extra costs were salt on an already open wound. We finally managed to get an answer as to why we had to pay extra; to authorize the card used. Only we hadn't used a card but paid in cash upon arriving at the hotel.

Eventually after leaving the seemingly drunk or high hotel staff at reception, we made our way to the room. Instantly i was greeted by a huge stain on the floor. Angry, i made my way around the poorly designed room, finding a small bathroom, with urine all over the seat. Yeah...and they wanted more money.

I decided i would like to have something to eat in the morning and went downstairs to book breakfast for the following day, even though the cost already of simply staying in the hotel should have covered such a need. I was amazed, the staff now downstairs were even more incompetent than before, after explaining numerous times what i was trying to do, the staff only greeted me with a dazed look. I was so worried that the member of staff had made a mistake with adding the additional breakfast i went down again to clarify.

When leaving the hotel, i waited for a long period of time whilst members of staff wasted time or answered phones. Upon reaching the desk i was shocked to hear i owed an additional £60. Now the breakfast i had ordered came to £40 in total ( Shocking i know), so obviously i refused to pay unless a good reason was provided why i owed the extra cost. The staff had no more knowledge of why i had to pay more than i did. This made me very uneasy. I pulled out a printed email and showed the staff that i had booked the room within a certain price and other than breakfast, i owed no money. Eventually a senior member of staff cleared the extra £60 away, she did this not with an apology but with a speed to simply get me out the way. I was not loud in my complaint, more confused and wanting a explanation. However it was clear, the senior member of staff wanted me, a young early twenties male out of the way so they could see to more mature visitors to the hotel.

To be honest, i left angry, with a horrible taste in my mouth that i had been consistently messed about with little to no explanation or apology. The dispute of extra costs had no grounds and was laughable considering the state of the room itself. Now the stay wasn't all bad, the view was good, the breakfast was also good but clearly not worth being so dear, and the hotel was in good location of shops surrounding. I have stayed in Radisson hotels in other cities and was sure this would live up to the good name...it didn't. Whilst it didn't ruin my time away, it left me feeling like i had been mugged.

1 Thank Traveller0882

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We often stay over in Birmingham when we have a special night out and I was very excited to stay at the Radisson. We had stayed at Malmasion and Hotel du Vin and was expecting something of a similar quality. I was sadly dissapointed. The room design look cold and sterile, and not much better than a trendy travel lodge. The downstairs bar is just a part of the lobby portioned off - and the cocktails were very dissapointing. There are no real public areas to spreak of and the hotel was very dissapointing. the only good thing was the breakfast which was excellent, and the reception staff (James) who was brilliant.
I would not stay again and would head back to either the Mal or Du Vin.

london
Reviewed June 21, 2009

We paid for a suite. At arrival, the air conditioning in the room was on °C 27 degrees (F 80). The cleaning wasn't the level we paid for, nor the lower level mostly for bathrooms. We didn't find daily newspaper at arrival. We found bathrooms not cleaned, stained carpets, items (booklets and newspapers) of the former occupiers. Toiletries: the suite promise is "upgraded"; I don't know other rooms, obviously, I just know that the suite has two bathroom and i found toiletries in just one of them; I found:conditioner, body lotion, shampoo, shower gel two of each. The gym is small as a hotel room. We booked and paid for four and the bathrobe and slippers are for two.

Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank tasteadvisor48
west midlands
Reviewed June 1, 2009

we had a night at Radissons to celebrate a special occasion.we were upgraded at no cost,there was a hand written card and a plate of fruit in the room and my request to have a room on the top floor was covered too.
the room facilities and decor,bed and sumptuos buffet breakfast were all classy....

particular thanks to the staff member at the front desk -superb service

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple