“Good location, friendly staff”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Broseley, United Kingdom
“Good location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

We were able to check in at 10:30am when we arrived in Birmingham, which was fantastic, the interior lobby/bar as you walk in is beautiful, and the lifts were extremely quick and efficient - not a huge thing I know, but for first impressions, this hotel is excellent. A sign of a good hotel is when all staff greet you, this was certainly apparent throughout our stay.

Room-wise, as we hadn't stayed with Radisson before, the lady on the desk put us on the 15th floor, so the floor to ceiling windows as we entered the room were stunning with a view over Birmingham. There are some nice touches, such as an ice machine on each floor, a heated mirror in the bathroom and speaker so you can listen to the radio/etc in the bath. We used the sauna after a hard day's shopping, which was very nice, but there wasn't a pool/steam room etc to go with it!

Breakfast was very good, self-service on the hot food, which was fine, but some items weren't piping hot - very nice none-the-less. Sunday morning breakfast runs until 1pm and with a 12pm check-out time, it makes for a nice lie-in which you very often don't get unless you're staying for more than one night.

Location - being very near the centre and a 10 minute walk from Broad Street, 5 minutes from the Mailbox, this is in an excellent position.

The only slight disappointment, losing it a 5 out of 5 rating, would be the inevitable noise from the road, even 15 floors up - it isn't bad, but taxis' horns at 3am were quite noticeable. There is no window to open for ventilation, only AC - but these are only minor niggles. All in all, a very nice central hotel. Having stayed in the Holiday Inn City Centre, the Birmingham Ramada, and the MacDonald Burlington, this definitely ranked joint top out of the four.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

The hotel was lovely inside, the interior excellent and the check in process was the quickest I have had for along while. Our only disappointments were that the sauna was switched off when we asked to use it and we didnot realise there was no pool or steam room and the most annoying thing the cleaner entred our room five times, yes five times, even though we told her we were getting ready for checking out!
It was a good price for a city centre location and really comforatble.

Shopshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2009

Had to change room as it was supposed to be a non smoking room but obviously wasnt.
Breakfast plates stone cold .
Parking a complete shambles in NCP
Expensive night
Staff not on this planet
Reception no seating and bar like a canteen.

1 Thank weekend11

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2009

I stayed for a night in Novemeber and after a couple of little hitches (a leaky tap in the bathroom) the rest of the day/night was great.
i booked a suite which was like a small apartment with a living room, bedroom, ensuite bathroom, walk in shower and a 2nd WC at the far end of the room.
floor to ceilng glass windows which gave an excellent view of the city.
I fully recommend the filini resturant. it was superb food at reasonable prices. it provided a relaxed atmosphere.
Overall, check in/out was quick, effecient and very helpful.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Bracknell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

It's difficult to know what to say about this hotel. It was neither particularly good, nor particularly bad. It was just average. I chose the Radisson, as my first choice of hotel, the Hyatt Regency, was fully booked. My main criteria was to be in a high-rise hotel, for the views. Unfortunately, it didn't quite turn out like that, as we were on the wrong side of the hotel for any significant views and, anyway, to qoute the receptionist, 'it is Birmingham, you know!' Also, I didn't realise that the hotel only goes up to the 19th floor, the top 20 floors being apartments.
Having said that, 10 Holloway Circus is a spectacular piece of architecture, being the second tallest building in Birmingham.
As for the interior, the rooms are pretty bland really, except for the tiger stripes on the windows. Everything was as expected in a business hotel, clean and characterless.
We had no real experience of the service, except at breakfast, which was fine.
All in all, a pretty non-descript stay. I was probably expecting too much for my £165.

Suffolk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

On arrival all seemed to go to plan, Shocked by the price of a glass of wine - £9.50 and £39 bottle of white. Nothing special either. No biscuits in room but loads of snacks to purchase and not a price list in sight - couldn#t move anything to check due to electronic purchase system.
Good breakfast am, but lunch was odd - this was at a work event- who serves curry without rice?
At end of day, met colleague on way up from reception as room card had failed. Got up to my room - same story. At reception, told it's my fault as magnets wipe card and I can't get into room without ID - and where might that have been? In the room! Got a little cross and finally sorted - I think they need to sort themselves out.
There is a card in room offering free fresh milk - hit the button on phone and disgruntled employee acted like I was mad. Delivered milk and told me to put card on door if I waned more. Card clearly said to phone if you wanted it there and then!
Check out - 2 computers down, ever increasing queue - utter joke. Told them they know my address so invoice me - has enough of poor service and nonsense.
Have to say breakfast was good and so were the evening meals - so it took over 2 hours to make it to dessert... hope to not stay again. Prefer the place next to Waterstones - near exit from Palladines - much better.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank kjapurple
Bristol UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I am a big fan of Radisson. I love their funky rooms and up to date cool contemporary styling and great service.

Until, that is..I went to the SAS (that is who I thought had gone to get us some wine with dinner as they were so silent they left no trace) Birmingham.

I stayed at this hotel with colleagues. I would love to comment about the standards of service, but there was no service as far as I can make out to comment on. Its the little things that count and SAS have really just not got it. Not at all, not a sausage.

Arrival- buffet. Not greeted, not told where to sit (didn't know where my colleagues were) sat down at table that looked free, went to buffet. Only then did three members of staff tell me I had taken food from the wrong table. Alarm bells..Wrong Buffet Lady Alert..despite wearing £15K diamonds and a seven hundred quid coat an honours degree in astrophysics and paying £200 a night...you might have taken the wrong quiche. ...THREE of them came up to me. Not one of them were at all bothered when I walked in, asked for water, where to sit. Foul.

Check in- 6pm. "Sorry no no -smoking rooms". I am not sleeping in a smoking room on a smoking corridor in a country that bans smoking in public places. "Sorry no no smoking rooms" was the continued response. It was only after pointing out the duty of care owed to me as a guest that they relented and oh..found me a no smoking room but only after a withering..yes completely contemptible comment from the check in manager suggesting that I had now thrown someone out of their non smoking room and I was not entitled to an upgrade..all that rubbish.

Dinner- "Are you a real vegetarian or just for tonight?" We witnessed this twice from the waiting staff in the second floor lunar suite. I am not a vegetarian but heard my veggie friends go through the Call yourself a veggie?" series of questions. "Can i have the wine list please?" met with the reply, "yes a bottle of house red or white?". No glasses of wine or other drinks would be served apparently nor was any wine list produced. If you wanted anything more than a bottle of house plonk you were instructed to go down in the list two floors to the bar..and wait. For your NINE POUNDS and FIFTY PENCE. I kid you not. Glass of Sauvignon Blanc. I could write more..this is a room full of people begging to part with some money for drinks!! Hello??!!

I could go on. And on. Dont even start me on the food or the attitude of the staff.

What a huge disappointment the SAS was.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business