“Birthday”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #68 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I had a great time at this hotel, do not get me wrong there were a few issues. But hey ho stuff happens. When i told managment everything was sorted. The biggest asset i think this hotel has is a chap valled Radu he is a bar man who works evenings. He was superb he made it very special whilst having drinks he is a too bloke

Stayed: April 2014
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear SP5123,
We always appreciate honest and sincere feedback it helps us improving both product and service.
I am glad to hear that we were able to sort out any issues fast and it didn't have any impact on your stay.
I will share your nice comments with Radu, I'm sure he appreciates it.
See you soon for another great night in Birmingham.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Having planned our holiday to the UK well in advance, we decided to have all our accommodation sorted out beforehand as for the most of our holiday was spent in relatives houses, and only the final two days in a hotel.

Made the reservation through a third party booking website, for a reasonable price however I decided to email the hotel prior, to request a paid room upgrade. I was informed that it would be £70 extra per night to upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite. We decided to go all out and added this to our reservation.

When checking in it was fast, and surprised to be told that it would only be 70£ for the two nights instead of 140£ for the suite. Happy with this, we started to enjoy our stay already! That was until we got to the room...

The room on first glance, was AMAZING. Stunning views over Birmingham... Lovely living room, Stunning Bedroom and gorgeous bathroom. However, on closer inspection the room was extremely dirty. There was a thick covering of dust on all ledges, shelves and the lamp posts by the bed. The phones were also covered in dust.

Behind the bed, had a layer of dust unlike I had ever seen before, it was literally from my elbow to my wrist high and also behind the TV stand. Disgusted with this, and as my partner suffers from Asthma , she could tell that the room was extremely dusty - I called reception. The lady on reception informed me that she would send someone from accommodation up to inspect the room of the findings.

A lady from accommodation arrived and had a look around the room, and had stated that the room to her seemed fine, that the cabinets and shelves only get a quick wipe with a cloth, and to move the bed and clean it once a week would be too much hassle, she said this was the service that the provided.. I was shocked with this, I dont think much effort is to be had moving a bed once a week to remove a build up of dust! She made us feel so small, and belittled!

She left and I again called reception to inform them that I was not happy with the result of the accommodation member of staffs decision. We were informed that they were sorry, and that the room would be deep cleaned whilst we were out and would be spotless on our return.

We left for a walk around and for dinner, and when we came back we were greeted by Julia, a front desk manager who informed that the room was being finished, and welcomed us to the bar for a complimentary drink to apologise for the room. This was much appreciated.

Went back to the room after a quick drink, and the room indeed was now spotless and smelt freshly cleaned. The dust buildups had been removed, and you could certainly feel it in the air. We were now able to get on with the end of our holiday.

On checkout, we were met again by Julia the front desk manager, who informed us that in fact they were trying to charge for the 140£ on checkout, and was informed that it was 70£ per night to upgrade. I stated to her, on check in this is what we were under the impression but were informed that it was only 70£.

She kindly agree'd not to argue due to the experience, and accepted the 70£ as being paid and settled our bill.

The hotel as mentioned by other reviewers, is extremely overpriced and intends to set its standards of pricing like that of the Hyatt and Crowne Plaza, however it just doesn't deliver the experience of the latter hotels. I doubt we will be staying again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Patrick O,
We are very sorry to hear that the room was not meeting the cleaning standard, I can not apologise enough for this.
We have standard operating procedures in place to ensure the rooms are cleaned and dust free, I can ensure you this will be followed up.
In relation to the upgrade fee I'm pleased we have been able to agree this in the end however it should have been clear for you from the time of arrival, we clearly miscommunicated this.
I thank you for your comments and myself and the team will take these on board and improve our service and quality.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We stayed here for one night as we were watching a band at the o2. It is literally a 5 minute walk from the o2 and also to resteraunts nearby to eat out so a good location.

Parking is in the NCP car park and the hotel offer discounted rates, I think it cost £14 for 15 hours or so.

Check in wasnt great to be honest as although the lady on reception was trying to be friendly she basically told us we didnt have a booking.. luckily I had bought the confirmation with me and after 10 minutes of hanging around she finally found our booking which was under my OH's name but spelt incorrectly. When we checked the confirmation we had, the name was spelt correctly so they must copy it over when bookings come in and someone had spelt it wrong - a small thing but seeing as it made it such a chore to find our booking perhaps the staff should double check names when completing bookings?

Aside from that the room was very nice, floor to ceiling windows, good TV with lots of channels, really comfortable bed, tea and coffee and we ordered breakfast in our room which was delicious! Not sure why people have complained about the rooms as ours was really nice!
Check out was quick and easy.

I would have scored 5 if check in hadnt been such a headache but I would stay here again if needed as its a small gripe and the hotel itself was very nice.

Room Tip: Take your booking confirmation with you!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear BlondeEM1986,
Many thanks for your review, we really appreciate your comments.
I can imagine the frustration during the check in whilst you have a confirmation, we had recently some staff changes and I am very confident that this will improve very vast.
It's good to hear about your positive experience with the room.
We are looking forward having you as our guest any time soon.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night before going to the Hippodrome theatre the next day. Good sized room until the third bed was put in, then it was tricky during the night to get to the bathroom. Towels provided with third bed, good as some places forget. A bit lacking on the tea making side, only Earl Grey until requested normal tea. Restaurant was very good for dinner and breakfast. Handy parking round the corner with special rate for hotel residents.

Stayed: March 2014

Dear Richie_F_33,
Many thanks for your recnt stay and highlighting what the Radisson Blu has to offer when visiting the theatre.
Looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

stayed here for three nights on business trip, room on 16th floor had a great view, bed was amazing!! huge! nice decor and very nice bathroom. my only niggle would be the fact you basically need your room key for everything whether its lighting or lift usage, sometimes you may forget to bring the card with you..which means you could not use the lift to go up or down etc.
restaurant and breakfast area was lovely and great atmosphere and design.
very nice and friendly staff just what you need to see in the morning smiling staff serving you.
will visit again most definitely. ps great location obviously, near to new street station.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up preferably front facing for a great view. Also gets you even nearer to the fr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear sqblock34,
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor and we are grateful for your positive comments, which I will share with my team.
I can imagine that the need of your room key for everything could be a little bit of a niggle however we like to offer our guest a secure environment what this system definately does, it's very well received by our female business travellers.
See you soon on your next business trip.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Overall this was a very nice and clean hotel. Staff were very friendly. Room was big and comfortable. Breakfast was a little cold but still ok. As regards parking it couldn't be simpler. Just use the ncp car park which is 1min walk away. Pay on reception when you check out £14.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Andrew D,
Many thanks for your recent stay, I am glad to hear we oofered you a comfortable stay, we are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

I booked this hotel as a special treat for my husbands birthday, it always looks amazing from the outside, we checked in and was so let down, the room was very tired looking! It had big stains on head board, dirty bathroom floor with hair and stains, carpets were dirty round edges and some settee thing had a big stain on it, the whole place felt tacky and dirty.
Breakfast had a good choice, but the cooked breakfast was a buffet and bacon hard like cardboard and mushrooms quite tasteless.
I would not recommend to any one, you can get much better for money.....

What a let down....

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Clio15559,
We are so sorry to hear that your stay was disappointing, in regards to the rooms I agree that some work was needed and especially the carpets, the works on these rooms has started yesterday, I therefore would like to invite you to see the upgarded rooms, please therefore contact me personally.
Breakfast has been a highlight on many stays, I will pick this up with the chef as this is definately not a regular occurance.