“Not the nicest Radisson”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
surrey
“Not the nicest Radisson”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The distance to the hotel from arriving at Birmingham New Street, is great. No need for a taxi, just a short walk. Reception staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. Our room facilities were disappointing, but all was rectified quickly by the on hand staff. We were upgraded to another room, but to tell the truth the only difference I could determine was a coffee machine. The room could do with a greater overhaul than just trying to update a few soft furnishings here and there.... I love the Radisson Blu in Glasgow, we've stayed many a time, but this one was not great... Next time I'll just go to Birmingham in a day, my bed is 100% not worth leaving for their poor quality one.... Sorry

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Freehold40,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, your feedback is important to us.
We take all comments very serious and I'm sorry that your stay was not satisfactory, we are currently upgrading our business suites and if you can get in touch with me personally I will make sure the Radisson Blu is worth leaving your own bed for.
Looking forward welcoming you personally back in Birmingham!
Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I booked an upgraded room at this hotel for a one night stay. I arrived very late and was impressed with the speedy checkin. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable.
As I needed to make a number of travel arrangements, I was relieved to find that the wifi was very easy to access and relatively quick and reliable. However, where the hotel really disappointed, was the significant traffic noise from the roundabout outside; which went on all night.
Breakfast was good and all of the staff were very pleasant, attentive and helpful, however, given that fact the primary purpose of staying in a hotel is to sleep, I won't be visiting this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the quietest area. (if such an area exists...)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear Des321,
Many thanks for your recent stay with us, your feedback is much appreciated.
Especially your comments regarding the check in procedure internet, breakfast and your overall interaction with our staff has been well received by our staff, thank you.
We are sorry that you had a restless sleep due to the traic noise, unfortunately something out of our control.
As we would like to welcome you back may I recommend you our back facing rooms where there is no noise from traffic whilst you can enjoy our hospitality.
I am looking forward hearing from you, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights as we had tickets for the Panto at the Birmingham Hippodrome. The hotel is in a great location just 5 minutes from New Street Station, 5 minutes from the Bull Ring the Pallasades and The RagMarkets and 3 minutes from Chinatown and the Hippodrome. We had a room on the 16th floor and the views were great. The decor is a little odd especially the furniture ie no drawers only cubby holes and no doors on the wardrobe. The hair dryer was rubbish as was the tv remote control. The bathroom was large but the bath took over half an hour to empty as it was not possible to open the drain more than a couple of centimetres and this also meant that you were standing in a bath that was filling up whilst you were showering. The bathroom lighting way woefully inadequate and the provision of a shaving mirror was pointless with such bad lighting. There was no shower cap which was very surprising for a hotel of this size. Having said that the beds were comfortable and the provision of a Nespresso machine in addition to the tea and instant coffee was nice. The breakfast was very good with a large choice and the service was good. The ice machine on the 16th floor was not working and they sent an engineer straight away to fix it. All in all we would use this hotel again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
RoderickSmith, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Jackie R,
Many thanks for your recent stay with us it was a pleasure hosting your stay.
We very much appreciate your comments and I have taken all feedback on board and these will be followed up upon to ensure a even better stay next time.
I hope you enjoyed the panthemine, unfortunately due to the busy period over Christmas I was not able to go myself, but heard some great feedback.
Please keep an eye out for some great deals in both the hotel and the Hippodrome as mentioned by yourself the theatre is only a stroll away from the hotel.
We are looking forward welcoming you back any time soon.
Buntingford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Checked in August 2013 with my fiance for one night on way back from Wales. I got a deal through work on a business room.

Lobby is lovely looking and check in fast. Room was large and decorated OK, was a little sparse for a business room and had items missing from mini bar and no slippers. Bathroom was OK but not as luxurious as other raddisons. Ceiling to floor windows were great with a fab view. Carpet was a little dirty and had a few stains which wasnt very nice to look at.

We ordered room service and food was OK, nothing special but no one came to collect plates and tray but room was so big we could put out of the way.
With our package we could watch as many pay per view films as we wanted which was fab.

We ordered breakfast to our room which was again OK. Cleaning staff walked in without knocking whilst my fiance was half naked which i didnt like for one i was feeling rushed to leave and two the invasion of privacy although i was amused to see her catch sight of my fiance in his pants and scarper down the corridoor lol!!

Worst thing about the room was the stink, like raw sewerage! It made the whole place feel dirty. I did talk to the staff about this and they were very apologetic and gave us a discount plus pro.ised a good deal if we returned. I got a very good deal on this room but would have been dissapointed if i paid full price.m

Staff were lovely and trying their best. I would go back if the smell wasnt a problem and for same discounted price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pixie345,
Many thanks for your review regarding your stay back in August, your feedback is important to us.
During a period last year we experienced some issues with our drainage which have been rectified now, I fully appreciate that it impacted your stay.
In regards to the minibar, we have amended the offering due to customer demand, the large offering we had in the past was not consumed, we are open for suggestions, is there anything you would like to see in our minbars on your next stay?

Slippers should have been provided, and I can ensure you that these are now in our rooms. I have followed up with our Housekeeping department regarding the entry of bedrooms procedure. You should never feel rushed by our staff, we want to offer you a relaxing and comfortable stay.
We sincerely hope you will be staying with us any time soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Me and my friend had such a lovely stay here. The staff went beyond our expectations and were always happy to help. We had a lovely room, and the location of the hotel is brilliant, close to the station and plenty of restaurants nearby, as well as the mailbox and the bullring. Fantastic facilities and customer service, it was truely a lovely stay and if I was to visit Birmingham again this would be my choice of hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Blu Hotels

Dear John G,
Many thanks for your recent review and stay with us, it was a plaesure having you as our guest.
I have shared your positive comments with our staff and we are looking forward to your next stay.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

On checking in at the hotel - a late check in had been advised to them, I was greeted by friendly cheerful reception staff. My room (1512)was a wheelchair access room - I did not ask for or require this. there were twin single beds, but the room was for single occupancy and I had book a double. The bathroom was a disabled equipped shower room, and I prefer a bath. I called reception and and was told that since the hotel was full they would be unable to offer an alternative but would change the room if I required it for the second night of my stay. Someone was sent to put the 2 singles together and they were made up as a king - why this could not have been done prior to my arrival I do not know.
I did not sleep well - the bed was terribly soft. But the room was quiet. In the morning as I was dressing, it was difficult to put on make up and do my hair - the lighting in the room and the bathroom was very poor, and there was no plug to plug in my hair straightening irons that was anywhere near a mirror! I had a busy day ahead and went to breakfast. The variety of breakfast items on offer was extensive, but some of my party requested a la carte items, and these consistently were wrong. Brown toast that was requested, was served as white, and when this was queried we were told that they had run out of brown bread. Milk (cold) was already on the tables in jugs - but most of the jugs were almost empty, and when we requested more, the waiter had to go to 2 or 3 already vacated tables and find another half empty jug. Service was certainly not with a smile - and we were made to feel most unwelcome.
On leaving the hotel for the business day I advised reception that I was expecting a very important package, and could they please call or text me when it arrived so that I could go back and collect it. They also told me that they would make the room change and move my belongings for me. Needless to say, they did not call me to tell me that the package had arrived, or move my belongings.
When returning to the hotel for the second night, I asked if they had changed my room - they hadn't, but they did then do so (room 722). This was a normal (not disabled) room with far better lighting, and after a very hectic business day I was looking forward to settling down for the night. This proved to be difficult, because of a very noisy continuous bathroom fan. I called down to reception and the maintenance man was unable to fix it. Eventually he called someone else who was able to at least quieten the fan, and as long as the bathroom door was kept shut, I was able to fall asleep, only to be woken the next morning by the deafening sound of the traffic outside.
Breakfast on the second morning was almost as chaotic as the first. My colleague (who also had issues with his room and the hotel) and I were disappointed in our stay, and advised the sympathetic member of staff as we checked out. He made note of the issues and as a gesture of goodwill cancelled the parking charges and the minimal mini bar charges we had incurred. He promised that the manager would call us to address the issues directly with us - over 24 hours later she has not contacted either one of us.
All in all I could not recommend this hotel and I and my group of colleagues who use hotels in Birmingham frequently would not choose to stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: the higher you go the quieter it will be - traffic noise on 7th floor!
1 Thank eleanor c
MPerks, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear Eleanor

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We take all customer feedback seriously, whether it is good or not, so that we can improve on the service that we offer. I have tried calling you and left a message and would be grateful if you could give me a call back at your convenience.

Kind Regards
Marie Wilcox-Perks

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I surprised my husband for his birthday with a night at the Radisson Blu and concert tickets to see Imagine Dragons (which was at the o2 Academy, right across the road). Needless to say we had a wonderful time. The staff were excellent, very friendly and very helpful. The bed was very comfy, and there were lots of tv channels had we wanted to watch television. The view from our room (only on the sixth floor) was stunning.

We managed to get a really good deal, otherwise we probably couldn't have afforded it, but it is so nice to get a treat like this every once in a blue moon!

We didn't have time to use the pool or spa, sadly.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room on booking and they will try and accommodate that if they have the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bozarros,
Many thanks for your recent stay and complimentary comments, I am happy to read you had such a great stay with us.
We are looking forward to a future stay with us.