“Not as good as I was expecting sadly...”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #74 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Glasgow
“Not as good as I was expecting sadly...”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I chose to stay here as I had been in the Glasgow one just before Christmas and it looked pretty good indeed. On arrival on Sunday I walked in and the lobby/bar and check in looked pretty good. The farce began here. I waited 5 minutes for anyone to appear to check me in. I was asked if I was using the gym and said I was.
I went up in the lift and when the doors opened on the 10th floor I almost laughed at how old the corridors looked with the dark wooden panelling. It was like a 70's motel you see in the old gangster movies. I got to my room and it looked modern and fresh but with oddly shaped tables and a lack of space which I found very odd.
I had a nose around the room and the bathroom was fine but the whole room wasn’t that clean. Dirty marks over the carpets, the bed was poorly made up (Not that I do it better at home!) in general it just wasn’t what I expected. So when I came back in after dinner I watched some TV and went to bed. The bed was unusually soft and I spent the whole night tossing and turning on the soft mattress and pillows.
The noise from traffic was crystal clear from the street and as it’s next to the main artery in to Birmingham it was noisy. Plus side it’s a 5 minute walk from New St station but a bit more out of the way of the nice pubs and places to eat - Probably a 15-20 minute walk. The next day I went for breakfast which I have to say was rather poor. The cooked one looked dreadful.
I opted for an omelette and it was amazing. When I got it the next day it was a different chef who failed to cook it properly so I sent it back. How can a chef not make an omelette???!!! Wouldn’t stay here again but its ok if you can’t get in anywhere else. Sure theirs worse in the area but there’s a lot to choose from - I just won’t choose or book here for anyone else again.

Room Tip: I had 3 rooms in 2 nights. 2 at the front - 1st on the 10th floor then 17th floor (Business class up...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your review, it really helps us to recieve both positive and constructive feedback therefore thank you for spending the time to write your review.

I am sorry we didn't manage to meet all your expectations, I would like to assure you will are making some changes this year with new carpets and in room decor which will show some improvements for 2013.

Until then, we do hope to see you again either in Birmingham or within the group.

Best regards,
Sarah.duffield@radissonblu.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We needed a last minute room for a last minute wedding! The Radisson was fantastic and listened to our requests and obliged. The wine and chocs were a really nice touch as was the breakfast.
Location is perfect and the higher floors have an amazing view (especially at night). The room was a good size and bed really comfortable with tea/coffee facilities on hand.
Thanks guys will use you again.

1 Thank Seb_and_Charles
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us - Thank you for all the praise we shall pass this on to our staff, I agree with you that the higher rooms are a nice touch and can be beneficial if your a light sleeper being in the city centre.

Please think of us again, if you would like to book directly with me in the future my details are below for future reservations.

Best regards

West Mids
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here one night, to celebrate our anniversary. The staff were extremely friendly and efficient - we arrived much earlier than the stated check in time, expecting to just leave our bags, before going for a wonder round the city. However, the very kind gentleman on the desk said we'd had a room upgrade and the room was ready. In the room the Front Office Supervisor (Dimpy Wason) had left us a lovely note to congratulate us on our anniversary, with a bottle of wine and some chocolates. I was so touched by this and it really made our weekend even more special. The room was fabulous (it was the business class room), with great tea / coffee facilities, nice bathroom, spacious and a comfy bed! We had a corner room, so the views were good (well, as good as you're going to get in Birmingham in miserable January!) and we didn't hear any noise at all. The breakfast (included in our booking) was fantastic and provided everything you could need. The only slight disappointment for us was the Fillini restaurant (but I think that should be in a separate review), which we found overpriced for what you get. The location of the hotel is great too - it is close enough to all main attractions of Brum (minutes from Mailbox, shopping, New Street station, etc).
Overall we had a great time and are thankful to the staff for being so friendly and helping to make our anniversary extra special!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are more spacious and have better views.
1 Thank sunseeker061
Dear guest,

I am happy to read of your comments and glad you enjoyed the in room amenities,we always look at ways we can surprise and delight our customers. I will also make sure Dimpy receives your thanks.

In respect of your feedback on our restaurant filini, we have a separate site on tripadvisor for this if you wouldn't mind to rate us on this page we can then take your comments on board.

We hope to see you and your partner in the future it would be our pleasure to welcome you back, please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to make any future reservations.

Have a great week.

Nottingham, England
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Me and my daughter stayed here on 29th November as had booked to see American Idiot the musical at The New Alexander Theatre. The theatre was literally a few doors down from the hotel, perfect. Our room was on 18th floor and had fantastic views. The room was spacious and bed was comfy. A complimentary drinks voucher was pushed under our door which was a nice touch too. Breakfast in the hotel was good, no complaints. Staff helpful, overall a good stay and would recommend definitely as is very close to the bull ring and shopping area and also the train station.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind words! - I am glad you enjoyed your time, what a relief to know you don't have to rush about when the threatre is right next door, a advantage I have to agree.

I hope we will see you and your daughter in 2013 and look forward to making your stay memorable once again.

Best wishes,
Rooms Divsion Manager
birmingham
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was our 2nd stay at the raddison and was excellent compared to our first stay Room was lovely staff excellent overall stay was brill. staff very helpful, Our first stay wasnt so good but after complaing the raddison offered us a free nights stay with breakfast included so second time round was fab better room we stayed as it was our anniversary and my husbands birthday We couldnt have wished for any think any better

Room Tip: corner suites are large with fab views
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Overall, a good trip. Spacious room, ideal for couples as we travelled and a great building in the centre of Birmingham not far from many local attractions. Pretty happy with the overall experience and staff however some minor flaws; hair dryer blew up on us, noise 24/7 seemingly when toilets where flushed which sounded like a fog horn and sometimes woke us up and a faulty shower head that didn't want to point in the right direction. Other than that a good experience and I do not regret our choice..

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your recent review - I am happy to read you enjoyed your overall visit. I would like to apologise for any maintenance issues you experienced, the team are always happy to assist with any requests, for the future if you could call "one touch service" from your phone, we can attend to this during our stay.

Wishing you a great week ahead.

Birmingham
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Had a business class corner room on 5th floor which from inside looked great and very spacious! Knew our view wouldn't have been great because we were only on the 5th floor. Ordered chocolate covered strawberries in advance for £5, when they were brought to the room there was only 4 strawberries, thought that was a bit of a joke. Bathroom was average but the bed was lovely and comfty! Had dressing gown and slippers. We didn't check out till 6pm which was free. One thing that annoyed us was that with business rooms you get free movies, we tried to work it but couldn't so we phoned the front desk and got told the movies wasn't working but they did give is a discount off the room.

I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent visit at the Radisson Blu! We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your overall stay,.I accept your constructive comments relating to the in room amenities which we are currently in the process of changing, I am positive there will be great improvement in the coming weeks.

I would like to sincerely apologise for Pay Tv not working, we are currently in the process of upgrading and are experiencing some teething problems, I do hope this will not prevent you from booking with us again in the future.

It would be my pleasure to assist you with any future stays.

Best regards,