“Disappointing”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Having stayed at the Radisson Blu in Hamburg and found it fantastic I didn't hesitate in booking this one. Our room was on the 5th floor overlooking the roundabout so the noise from the traffic was quite loud. This got worse on the Saturday night when you mix in all the sirens and drunken people on their way home. The room, although large, was worn with multiple stains on the carpet and the lampshades, the furniture was chipped and, to be frank, a weird set up. We ate in the restaurant and had room service and the food was ok, the restaurant is very cold. Breakfast was good if you were happy with a cooked one, not so good if you prefer anything else. The mini bar is very well stocked. Toiletries are lovely and plentiful. Wireless internet very good. There is a very limited range of TV channels. My husband wanted to use the gym but was told, because he was on medication, he would need a doctor's note something he has never come across before and he travels extensively.One good thing was I did find the staff very good, although waited ages to get served at the bar. In a previous review someone says that this is one of the better Radissons. I don't think I will visit any others if that is the case and won't stay here again either.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Mandy,

Thank you for chossing to stay with Radisson Blu once again. I am very sorry to hear your recent stay did not meet your expectations and would very much like to obtain further details from you so we can look at a positive outcome together.

Please email me directly when you have the moment with your booking details.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here as I was attending a conference at this hotel. It is situated literally 5 minutes walk from New Street Station. Swift easy check in upon arrival,which after a full days work plus a 3 hour journey alongside commuters is just what you need.
The room decor is a retro vintage style which is not my taste and leaves it feeling cold & impersonnal. However a standard double is very spacious & the bathroom is plenty big enough with the usual complimentary toiletries & fluffly white towles. I didnt find any issues with cleanliness,although Im not a traveller that gets her white glove out!
I did have an issue with a missing remote for the tv which was quickly resolved. The hotel has a "one touch" phone service which I dont think Im a fan of as it did take them a while to answer.
The room service menu is fairly extensive until 11pm and as I arrived too late for the last sitting in their restaurant I did appreciate the choice available. The food arrived within the time they advised but it wasnt piping hot!
Buffet breakfast is the usual cereals,breads,pastries,fresh fruits,juices,smoothies & hot selection & the restaurant staff are warm & welcoming.
I wouldnt choose to stay here, but for business in a central location it is just what is required. Do ask for a room on the uppermost levels as you can still hear traffic noise from the roundabout despite the glazing.

Room Tip: Request rooms on the high levels
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your online review - we appreciate the constructive comments which we can look to work on, we like to hear both positive and constructive so we know how we are performing, I would also like to thank you for your positive comments and hope we have the oppurtunity to welcome you back in the future.

Have a great week ahead.

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

After being let down by the booking system for a pre-opera dinner by the Hippodrome, and with less than two hours to spare we approached Filini's restaurant in the Radisson. Thanks to the excellent service from Natalie, Suneeth and Erika, we had a great meal, served quickly and efficiently. Our stresses ebbed away and we were in good time for the performance. Cannot recommend highly enough. Thanks Radisson.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for mentioning all the staff names who made you feel welcome, I'm sure they will all be delighted to hear of your feedback, I shall make sure our food and beverage manager passes these great comments on!

We very much look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked this hotel via expedia (they wouldn't offer me the same deal direct - which is strange as they have to pay expedia). We got a reasonable deal including breakfast.
A friends trip away - I booked two twin rooms. On checking in we were offered rooms on different floors immediately, or on the same floor if we didn't mind waiting. The wait was only 10 minutes so it wasn't a problem at all - thanks for being so prompt.
Rooms were light and clean. A little bit of noise from the road below, but this is the city centre - what do people expect? It certainly didn't bother me or stop me from getting a good nights sleep.
The breakfast was very nice - good choice and everything was really fresh.
The location was walking distance from New Street railway station, even when pulling a case. Very handy for shops and a good choice of bars. Recommend Jamie's Italian behind the bull ring and you can get a fantastic cocktail at Selfridges if you want to push the boat out.
Great hotel for exploring the city centre.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor if the traffic noise will bother you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travel_girl_Durham

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience - May I first mention in regards to room rates we guarantee the best rate directly with us, please let one of our staff know in the future should the rates not be in parity and we will ensure they match.

Thank you for your comments on the room and recommendations, I'm sure other viewers will find this handy, I know myself Jamie's is a great restaurant, we also have a fantatsic Italian in the hotel for you to try next time!

We hope to welcome you back soon, have a great week.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

clean and modern with a nice bar, good service and good rooms. not too far to walk into the bright lights. Better inside than it looks from the outside. stayed on business a couple of times, its my second choice after Postbox apartments at The Mailbox

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
sarah_duffield, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for such positive comments relating to the facilities and service.

Hoping to hear from you when you are choosing your next hotel to stay in.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Reasonable, modern hotel. Rooms are good with very comfortable beds and excellent sound proofing. My last one had a Nespresso coffee maker. It seems that the higher up you are (there are 18 floors) the better. Wifi is quite slow and I had some problems connecting my iPad, however, that was resolved with a phone call to the front desk. Car parking is available just round the back in the NCP car park and they have a special rate negotiated (£14 a night)

Room Tip: Get as high as you can.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PaulofPleshey

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! Its great to see overall you enjoyed the service and had a comfortable stay with us! I am sure other guests will be glad to read of your tip, indeed car parking at ncp is discounted with us at the NCP Albany car park.

Hope to see you again soon, enjoy the rest of your week.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

The exterior doesn't promise much. On Holloway circus in a sixties tower block, with parking around the back in a slightly grim multi-story (not cheap at £14 overnight). I was inveited by reception to come to the back door of the hotel by the car park, where the reception fella let me in. From there it was pretty much all good.
I had booked through LastMinute on a SecretHotel deal. £79 B&B. Reception is all Scandinavian modern, with a cool modern bar adjacent. Ny room on the 6th floor had a disappointing view of a brick wall, but I wasn't too fussed. Furnishing was good...quite quirky too.
Toiletries, shower, bathroom were all as you'd wish. The room was large and the bed, extremely comfortable, with Scandinavian style quilts.
I arrived late so went down for dinner in the hotel restaurant...Filini. It's a large, modern, open plan space...very chic and comfy with a huge window. Ok, the view is only of Holloway Circus, but it was fine. Food was excellent. Wine too. Service was attentive without being obsequious.

So, parking charge: BAD but unavoidable. High speed internet access and decent range of tv channels free: GOOD.
I've yet to stay in a bad Radisson. This was one of the better of a good bunch. I just wish more chains would do things as competently.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your revent review! I appreciate your comments and glad to read of your positive experience! The hotel team would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

My details are below for whenever you are back in town, we will be sure to look after you once again.

Have a great week.