“not a patch on the Hyatt”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Stayed in this hotel as the Hyatt was full
staff not very helpfull
room badly designed by a person that does not use hotels.
very noisey even though i was on the 19th floor constant sounds of police sirens and fighting the majority of Birminghams Kebab shops are located on the opposite side of the road from the hotel.
the hotel does not have a car park so you have to go three blocks to the nearest.
Breakfast was terrible school dinners springs to mind.
overall opinion the manager should be sacked.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,368)

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Had to stop over in Birmingham for a Radio interview. Stayed in The Radisson Blu: bad choice!!

We usually stay in Radissons but this one is not up to par: The room (suite) was roomy, clean, cold, traffic noisy even though on the 13th floor. Not due to the hotel but due to area hotel is in: right on a roundabout (aptly named "circus" here). After a long drive we needed a much awaited shower and relaxation but the water was lukewarm; and when it came to bedding down the be was more in the category of a trampoline than that of a bed.........where is the great bed in the Radisson Canary wharf gone to??? Guess there is Radisson and Radisson ..........be wary!!!

The nice surprise was a great little find in the Asian (Pakistani) restaurant across the street, not a particularly nice setting but great food and warm welcome and service!!!!

All in all a usual business hotel with nothing special about it........

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can the 1970 style furnishing are great and the bathroom is super roomy, maybe th...
Reviewed January 27, 2012

I stayed here several times in the last 3 years, last one was in January 2012. The hotel is conveniently located, close to the city centre, the canals, Victoria square, the Bull Ring and the train station. The staff is fairly polite. The bedrooms that I've been assigned are usually small (compared with other Radisson hotels), the decoration is ok and beds are comfortable. There are all the amenities and facilities needed, except for a good wardrobe (it's a space in the wall with no doors, so be sure you hide your clothes somewhere when someone visits you). The tv channels selection is ok and there is free internet as in every Radisson. The bathroom is not well illuminated and the walls are covered with small tiles so there is lots of mildew and stains in every corner and between the tiles. Breakfast offered is very good. I would rate this hotel 3.5/5 compared with other Radisson

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent review and useful advice that you can share with others customers.. In regards to our bedroom sizes, we find that in the Birmingham area they are level with our competitors, our standard rooms start from around 28 square meters, perhaps if you are in town again soon you can try one of our business corner rooms which are just over 40 square meters, they are great, especially for long stays!

Thank you for your feedback on the bathroom, for the first quarter we will look to grout as many rooms as possible, with high demand it can sometimes be difficult to get to the rooms, never the less I appreciate your comments.

As a loyal customer of ours, it would be really nice to hear from you again, I have left my details below, if you drop me an email when you are back in the future then I will do my utmost to meet all your requirements.

Sarah.duffield@radissonblu.com

Reviewed January 18, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a conference in Nov and Dec 2011. Rooms lovely both in decor and facilities, thoughtful touches such as ice machines in corridoor and shoe polisher, as well as a corkscrew in the room, and my particular favourite a mirror in the bathroom which did not steam up in the middle so can still do make up after a hot shower. Staff exceptionally helpful and professional; my work had booked me into a smoking room by accident and when I agreed to downgrade to a twin rather than a double to not have a smoking room, they sent me via room service some free snacks and a newspaper to make up for it - it was not even their fault! As I was staying alone also it was irrelevant that the room was a twin - this is the kind of excellent service they deliver. Breakfast great, lots of choice and well cooked. Such comfy beds and big deep bath. Only downside - the mini bar prices are outrageous so if you want a snack go and pop to the newsagent across the road. I had a little jar of M and Ms and a can of diet coke - £12, I kid you not! Beware!!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
sarah_duffield, Rooms DIvision Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback, I am really glad the hotel met all your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Please feel free to get in touch should you wish to stay with us again!

Rooms DIvision Manager

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I booked this hotel for one night as my partner and I were travelling up from London to watch Aston Villa play at Villa Park.
We booked a business class room and it was as I would expect. Large room on the top floor. Good quality bed and ameneties and views across the city. The bathroom was very clean and a good size but could ahve done with a bit of updating around the shower etc.
The staff were very good when we needed a taxi. If any of you are thinking of using this hotel to visit Villa Park it is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the hotel and costs about £10.
Breakfast in the hotel was very pleasant. Good selection of hot and cold foods.
We also tried an excellent Indian restaurant called Mango Blue - would definitely recommend it. It is about 5 minutes from the hotel.

Room Tip: 1707 good business class room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
sarah_duffield, Rooms Division Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2012

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us! I'm glad you liked the room and enjoyed the breakfast! We hope you will think of us again, please get in contact if you are in town again.

Have a great week.

Email: Sarah.duffield@radissonblu.com
DD: 0121 654 6010

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Have stayed at Radissons before and my partner has stayed at many all over the world. We decided to give this one a go in Brum. Never going back again, and will try to stop anyone else going there!

Room was below average, and not cheap. Only good thing was the view. For 4* is all a little outdated, a bit shoddy, dirty. First room was appalling and I embarrassed my partner by requesting a different room. I mean the bed hadn't even been made properly! Call me a snob but I expect a hell of a lot more.

Second room was average. Expected an upgrade for the horrendous state of first room but no such offering came our way. A joke really as the hotel was dead, no customers just after Xmas! The heating/air con still very noisy and bothersome. Plug broken in bathroom. Scuff marks on wall. Scratches on desk, and generally felt quite dusty, which I find odd. We had been in the new room less than an hour and I could see dust forming on the sideboards. Oh and the TV! What a joke! My eyesight is bad enough without having to bloody squint.

Breakfast OK, quite a good selection. Hot food however was barely lukewarm. Staff reasonably friendly and attentive - but us being the only people in the restaurant I would expect this.

The sauna was the best part, but then again how can you not enjoy a relaxing sauna???

On check out I would have mentioned something about my discoveries, but we were never asked how our stay was! That sealed the deal for me. I expect a lot more for my money these days. In future will look elsewhere or go to the Holiday Inn next door. At least there it is clean and modern. It's laughable for a Radisson. That one hotel has tainted their reputation for me.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Rooms ok, nothing special but had everything you need. Staff really nice. Annoyingly my pass wouyldn't work in the gym which a bit tedious.

Room Tip: I had standard room which was nothing special at all, carpet needed replacing. Perhaps try Executiv...

Dear guest,

Thank you for spending the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear you wasn't impressed on the room allocated for you. if you do have time to provide me with further details that would be great.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Email: Sarah.duffield@radissonblu.com