“Excellent staff”

Ranked #72 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Rugby, UK
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Very impressed with all aspects of Hotel, particularly quality of staff. Breakfast buffet better than others experienced in more expensive Hotels. Would use Radisson as first choice for other destinations.

• Liked — Staff, Breakfast, Hotel atmosphere
  • Disliked — Room service prices
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Halifax, UK
Reviewed December 17, 2007

I booked a 4 night stay for business purposes thorough our corporate booking agency. Before progressing with the booking both I and the agency confirmed with the hotel directly that the valet parking service would be available as this was an important aspect in chosing the hotel. I was assured that this was arranged for me. I turned up at reception at 8.30pm on the first night to be told that they had only got a one night stay for me and that the hotel did not have parking. Despite showing the receptionist my written confirmations - she would not budge. I was allocated a business class room for one night and I had to leave the car in the decidedly dodgy looking NCP to the rear. I wasn't happy.

After a noisy night - even on the a17th floor the noise from the road and late night revellers is pretty loud, (and if that doesn't disturb then the seriously noisy air con will), the next morning I had to check out and the hotel suggested I liaise with my booking agent to sort out the booking. This meant I had to repack, move the car and contact the agent myself - no help offered from the hotel. The agent sorted out the booking - all the fault of the Radisson - and because of this an agreement was made that I would receive free valet parking for the remaining three nights. So I thought, problem solved - they've made a mistake and given me some compensation for it.

However, it got worse. The next room they allocated to me had a seriously stained carpet, topped off with an uncleaned patch of dried vomit by the window and down the armchair - lovely! The next night my room service was over 1 hour late. The fittings in the rooms appear on first view to be chic and lovely, but on closer inspection they are worn, poorly finished and tatty. Some aspects e.g. the white wardrobe doors are grubby and unpleasant.

Now to their credit, the staff were very apologetic and responsive to this catalogue of poor service and when I checked out they had amended the bill and wanted to provide some further recompense to me. They have also contacted me since and been pleasant, charming and again, very sorry that I didn't have the "true Radisson experience from my stay". However, the damage is done and unlike it's sister hotels, (which I have always enjoyed) I found the Radisson Birmingham to be deeply unimpressive. Whilst politeness is invaluable, the hotels core services are sloppy and uncoordinated. I'll stay in Radisson hotels elsewhere - but not here again.

• Liked — The exterior is impressive and the staff are pleasant
  • Disliked — Poor quality experience overall
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Riflerangeblues

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

UK
Reviewed November 18, 2007

Stayed here for a week in November 2007 and had a great time. Check-in was efficient and I was asked on which floor I would like to stay. I chose a high level floor and was given a room on the 14th with a view over the city towards the south. The room was clean, modern with a bathroom to match. Normal accessories such as a kettle, tea/cofee and ironing facilities were provided, but strangely no biscuits(!). Flat screen TV is a feature of the room as is free wi-fi. This is easy to set up is quick.

The view south does look over a busy roundabout but the noise isn't too bad. Breakfast was a good selection of hot and cold buffets with tea/coffee served at the table. There is a coffee bar area with newspapers and reading lamps which I thought to be a nice touch.

The hotel is only a short walk from New Street station, the Bullring and the main shopping area. If Chinese is your thing, the Chinese Quarter with its restaurants is a two minute walk.

• Liked — Great rooms
  • Disliked — No parking (but NCP nearby)
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Coventry
Reviewed November 9, 2007

Stayed at weekend.

Lovely room but as room was located overlooking the very noisy roundabout didn't get much sleep - so I got plenty of time to admire the lovely room! May be better during weekdays or it has been suggested you need to be higher up/on the other side of the hotel.

• Liked — Room
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2007

I stayed for one night with my partner in October. We chose the hotel
due to the close proximity to the city centre and the good reviews, our expectations were high and we were not disappointed.

We booked half board in a standard room; it turned out to be a Chic Room on the 13th floor. The reception area and bar are very "chic" and really do create an excellent first impression of the hotel. Check-in staff were very friendly and efficient, completing check-in quickly.

On entering the room we were highly impressed with the decor and the furnishings, it was very modern and finished to a high standard. The floor to ceiling windows make the rooms incredibly light. The room had air conditioning due to the fact no windows can be opened, for us this wasn't a problem but that may not be the case for others. The beds are huge and incredibly comfortable, maybe better than the Hilton bed! The bathroom was fairly standard for a new 4* hotel although there is a speaker so you can lie in the bath listening to what ever is on the television/radio in the room and the mirror is an anti-steam one so it stays clear. Everything was also very clean.

Dinner in the Filini Restaurant was fantastic, there is an allowance of £25 pp if you're staying HB and to be honest this won't get you much if you're looking to have three courses. The food was delicious and the service was brilliant. The restaurant is highly recommended. We didn't have to wait for Breakfast and turned up 30 minutes before it finished, there was still the full range of food which again was excellent.

The hotel does lack leisure facilities due to the city centre location. There is a very small "gym" on the 18th floor and a number of treatment rooms, if you're going to stay here for a short period of time then it's recommended you book treatments in advance as they get very booked up. There is also a small sauna. However we didn't see this to be a problem at all due to the number of things to see and do in the city.

Overall this is a fantastic hotel if you're looking to stay in Birmingham; clean/modern rooms, friendly staff, excellent food and an excellent location.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Joffy
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed October 2, 2007

We are a family of 4 with two teenage boys therefore requiring a double and a twin room. I booked some weeks before returning "home" from Dubai for a visit.
Luckily, through a neurosis developed by much business travel, I telephoned to re confirm to discover only a single was reserved. After much discussion and attempts to charge a crazy rate they finally managed to find the booking.
On arrival, quite late in the evening, we went to our rooms to discover that they were not clean. One of the glass walls also was severely cracked but maybe we were unlucky......
Anyhow our first morning we were more refreshed and looking forward to breakfast.
Like a lot about this hotel, it is more about style and appearance than substance; in this case the small breakfast room was totally full with a big queue for the whole hour that I tried.
As I say I have stopped in literally hundreds of hotels over the years but this was a first.
Those that know the area will realise that you cannot just step out for breakfast outside.
Indeed should you really need to when you have already paid?

Of cousre the usual refunds were profferred but that is not what you want from a Hotel, rather just for them to deliver basic services such as the ability to clean your room and feed you breakfast.

My advice would be to steer clear unless you are style afficienado willing to sacrifice basics.

The Kings Clothes came to mind!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Cratch
walsall
Reviewed September 8, 2007

This hotel is in a great location as its walking distance from all the shops, bars etc. Its an impressive building and the reception, bar, restaurant etc are very nice. All of the rooms are themed but it didnt match the rest of the hotel and to be honest I thought our room looked garish! The bright blue and red carpet which was covered in stains and the gold furniture just looked odd not modern and funky like I expected it to. The bathroom was the best feature, but overall we couldnt complain we had everthing that we needed and check in and check out were very quick. If you do stay here do not touch any of the snacks or drinks in your room unless you are going to have them as the minute you move them off their electronic pad they charge you!! It was a good experience to stay here but we only really stayed as were eating at the restaurant and for what it cost the meal was not worth it so I doubt we would go again for the money.

• Liked — The bathroom
  • Disliked — the bedroom design
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple