“Lovely Place to spend NYE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham

Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
Ranked #73 of 117 Hotels in Birmingham
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Lovely Place to spend NYE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Although we only live in Solihull we thought it would be nice to stay in the City for New Year's Eve so booked a 'Business Class' room at the Radisson Blue.

We checked in as early as we were meeting a group of friends and family at Cafe Rouge in Brindley Place for a meal before heading back to the hotel for the celebrations. The staff at reception were friendly and very helpful. My partner noticed a special offer about spray tans which she fancied, so this was all arranged and she was very happy with the result (and price!).

We stayed just under half way up so the view wasn't quite what we would have liked (then again we did leave it late to book so would imagine the higher rooms were pre-allocated). We did check out another room as family were also staying at the Radisson that night so we went to their room for a glass of champagne - and their view was much better!

At midnight we were looking out across the city watching the hundreds of fireworks, and was just a lovely evening.

The room itself was huge, very spacious and we had robes and slippers as part of our package. Bed was comfortable and room was very clean. Would recommend this hotel for anyone wanting to stay in Birmingham, it is also very close to the train station, Bullring, Broad Street, etc.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better the view!
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Arrival and departure staff were top class professionals. The room was perfectly clean and had a fantastic atmosphere. The restaurant food was again excellent I thought there had been a mistake on my bill as the value for money of the restaurant was great, (that doesn't mean put your prices up). The bar man was an expert, you normally only see bar professionals like him in the most exclusive bars. I apprieciated the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. I travel often and this is in my top 2 hotels to stay in in the UK, I only wish I could have stayed longer to use the additional factilities. I will 100% be using the group's hotels agian, in fact I can't wait to stay at another radisson.

Merseyside, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

Having booked this accommodation for a single night to celebrate out 10th wedding anniversary whilst we visited Birmingham to see a show at the Alexandra Theatre I upgraded to business class and based on Radisson's reputation and the reviews online I was expecting the very best.
On first impressions it really is a stunning building right in the city centre and the reception and welcome were great, with us checked in within 5mins of arrival (Even though we arrived 25 mins before check in time).
On entering our room we were greeted by one of the structural concrete columns in all its grey glory, but squeezing past this the room is of a large size with storage space containing an iron and board, hair dryer and the fridge. The bedroom area has a king size bed, desk, armchair (although bizarrely only the one) and due to the nature of the building the entire wall is glazed floor to ceiling giving a stunning view over the south of the city (obviously this will be dependant on the floor you stay on - we were on the 16th) but if you do not like heights (like the wife :-) ) this may be uncomfortable to enjoy.
There is a TV of approx 20" size, which based on the size of the room in my opinion is way too small, watching from bed was like watching a pocket TV and I feel the room requires at least a 28". Whilst on the subject of the TV, we found the picture quality (in these days of HD) to be very poor. This is understandable when watching SD telly, but watching a movie (which are charged at nearly £10 each for normal rooms) I would have expected much more. We had been told the movies were inclusive in business class but the TV system is not smart enough to recognise this and caused confusion, warning me I was to be charged the £10 when selecting a movie. Oh and the channel selector on the remote also did not work.
I had intended to use the gym and the wife was looking forward to using the spa facilities, however on checking these out, the gym was tiny with approx 8 pieces of equipment (again these face the windows so be wary if you don't like heights as these are on the 18th floor) and they had no space left for any of the spa offers, and we found out they do not operate on a Sunday or Monday (In hindsight we should have booked ahead but it didn't stop us being disappointed).
Even with all this we were still enjoying the stay, and left to enjoy the theatre.
On returning and going to sleep, or at least trying to, the construction of the hotel started to show its flaws as we were constantly greeted with loud creaks and cracks from the steel structure as I assume it shrank with the drop in temperature. this was not worrying, simply annoying as I found it kept me awake (you know how just as you are dropping off, you get another crack, sparking you back to consciousness). We also had an annoying smoke alarm directly above the bed that also cracked 2 or 3 times every few minutes, and an extractor fan in the bathroom that ran continuously, and even with the door shut it was still audible. The final weakness of the building was the lack of sound insulation from the streets below, even being 16 floors up, as the clubs kicked out you could clearly hear all of the noise from clubbers, cars beeping their horns, and police sirens.
There was no attempt from us to make a complaint at the time as to be fair to the hotel there would be nothing they could do, and at that time of night we were not prepared to move rooms anyway, but were desperate to get some sleep, so unless they had earplugs it would not have been worth it, but I did intend to mention these issues on check out.
Unfortunately during the check out, at no point were we asked how we had enjoyed our stay, or if everything had been satisfactory so we were not given the opportunity to discuss this with anyone, and did not feel they were interested, so left without commenting.
This was truly a shame, and indicative of the current way appearance takes priority with modern buildings.
Would this put me off staying at a Radisson hotel in the future? Possibly not, but as someone that enjoys their sleep, I certainly wouldnt stop at the Birmingham one again :-(

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jschut, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your elaborate review concerning your recent stay with. Although not everything falls within our ability to influence, we do strive to improve anywehere we can.

I would like to let you know that we do have rooms from the 5th to the 18th floor, both facing the front and facing the back. As long as we know your preference on the floor or quieteness you desire, we will do utmost to assign the right room to you. We do have triple glazed windows in all rooms, however, since we are a city centre hotel there will be always movement around the hotel. Our rooms facing the back are more quiet and for your next visit I would defintely recommend to reserve one of those rooms.

We do value your feedback during your stay though and our staff is required to check for your satisfaction, also at check-out. Perhaps you could contact me directly in order for me to take this up with my team. This would be much appreciated and helps me in improving our service both for you as for other guests.

Thank you for your understanding and I am looking forward to receiving your reply.

Warmest regards,

Jochem Schut - Director of Operations
jochem.schut@radissonblu.com
0121 654 6000

Travelers are raving about these Birmingham hotels

Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

I stayed here recently on business and I have to say it was great for that purpose. I had a suite that you could smoke in, and it was very clean, tidy and had good facilities. Free WiFi as well. The hotel is quite noisy, but I always use earplugs everywhere i go so may be an idea. The service is excellent; I always have room service so I can work, and it is always delivered very promptly. Dressing gowns replenished daily, which is a nice touch. Staff are friendly. I have stayed here a couple of times. Staff will order cabs etc, usually £5 pounds to the city centre

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joannemcn
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

I recently booked my daughter's prom here. Lisa, the Reservations Service Manager was very helpful, curteous and couldn't do enough to make sure the evening went well. The staff was welcoming, room was amazing and the food was impeccable. Not one complaint out of a party of 23 students.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

I would have never imagined that such a thing is even possible and can't believe that this is how hotels deal with your best customers.

I would like to start by saying that in the last couple of months I've stayed in the Radisson Blu in Birmingham at least 6 weeks if not more, and have stayed in the hotel EVERY week for the last month.

When I checked in last night, I told the night manager, that I am staying for 2 nights and he updated that in the system

To my surprise, when I came back from work tonight at 2am, I discovered that I was KICKED OUT OF MY ROOM.
Someone has packed my suitcase and put other personal stuff in a plastic bag and took it out of the room!
While throwing my stuff into the plastic bag they have also thrown in a used open shampoo bottle (??!) which have leaked all over my personal belongings.
No one has contacted me, tried looking up my loyalty number details, or notified my travel agent.

This morning before I left for work, I even spoke with the day shift manager and gave him my laundry and asked him to bring things that I've stored last week to my room. He didn't think about notifying me.

I hope that all my things are in my suitcase (it is late at night and I didn't check all of the things). In a quick check that I did before I left the hotel, I already discovered that they didn't pack my cell phone charger

I am shocked by this behavior. This is anti customer service in every way possible.

I am now staying in another hotel in Birmingham and will never return to this hotel.

2 Thank sm11111
jschut, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comments and our sincere apologies for your experience. My General Manager, Christopher Pike, is in contact with you directly to resolve this matter.

I hope we can welcome you once again in our hotel to show that we are in a habit of doing much better.

Kindest regards,

Jochem Schut
Director of Operations
Honiton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

I was very disappointed in the complete lack of safety and regard for my son and his two friends whilst staying one night on Friday 17th/18th June. Their room was 1817 next to the presidential suite. They were woken numerous times during the night by what sounded like a very loud party going on in the suite. They are young well behaved mature lads of fourteen but it didn't cross their minds to complain during the night as they are the ones who are always expected to behave respectively to other guests. They had a very important competition to attend on Saturday and needed a good nights sleep.
At 7.30am I tried to go to their room to make sure they were getting up and found the fire door locked so I couldn't get through. I went to reception and a member of staff came up to try to unlock the fire door which he failed as he couldn't find the key! He then rang down to reception to get them to ring my son's room to get him to come out and open the door from the inside. I was told by the member of staff that the guests in the suite had been causing trouble all night. I believe that perhaps a member of staff told them to keep the fire door shut to avoid disturbing other guest with their very loud music which I could hear at 7.30am. Every time my son or his friends went through the fire door to go down to breakfast someone from the suite would come out and lock the door again. They saw them doing this. But what makes me very cross is the fact that these guests were so obviously smoking as the smell was very strong and most likely drinking. If they had caused a fire in the night how on earth could a member of staff unlock the fire door from the outside if they couldn't find the key easily?
In the morning the three boys complained and were told that the police were nearly called on three occasions. If the staff were aware of this why on earth didn't they consider the safety of the guests in room 1817? And should an internal fire door even have a lock on it?
I only hope that in future they would immediately move the guests in 1817 if there is cause for concern and make sure that the lock on the fire door is removed.
In the morning they complained and they only apologised and I sent them an email listing my concerns and they replied thus: The guests in room 1820 were celebrating a birthday party but unfortunately they exceeded the noise level.
The hotel security and the night team went up to the room and warned the guests and asked them to keep the noise down. The guests other than the occupants of the rooms were removed from the room immediately.
Presidential suite and 1817 are also hired to the long staying families and for their privacy the door can be locked from inside by the guests. I can confirm that we are totally compliant with all the Health and Safety regulations and inspected by an independent company.
The Night Manager only came to know that the fire was locked when you called down to the reception and asked to open it. The key for that door is safely kept in the office and accessible at all times for any staff member.
I am still waiting for the reply from my last email asking for the name for their Health and Safety advisor's contact details and to reiterate that the key was NOT easily accessible as the member of staff had to ring the room to get my son to come out and unlock the fire door from the inside.

I had a single room and there was black mould on the grout of the bathroom wall and a slight smell of drains! But otherwise the room was comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NikkiHoniton
Filiz_smith, Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham, responded to this review, June 25, 2011
Dear Ms. Honiton,

Thank you very much for your valued comments.

First and foremost let me put your mind at ease with regard to the door you refer to, in the event of an evacuation the door can be unlocked from inside by any resident guest and I can confirm that it is not a fire door.

If you have any further concerns or queries please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel.

Kind regards,