“Imaginative and inventive vegetarian”
Review of 1847 Birmingham

1847 Birmingham
Ranked #117 of 2,220 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Birmingham city centre's only full service vegetarian restaurant offering modern, innovative cuisine. Kitchen headed by Tony Cridland and a small team of chefs. Also full bar area with cocktails, beers, wines and spirits. Book online
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Imaginative and inventive vegetarian”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We discovered 1847 via Living Social and although we could not use the voucher as we were dining on the weekend we were very glad we went; finding vegetarian food where one does not miss meat or fish is incredibly difficult but 1847's menu is so beguilling that even the most committed carnivore will be fully sated. Highly recommended the mushroom&liquorice pate with wild cep capuchino, the tempura and the gin marinated pineapple with blackstocks - a great & witty take on the '60's "classic", the Sunday roast is awesome and their veg gravy has real depth and flavour; desserts are witty and highly covetable. Wish we had something like this in London. Prices are very reasonable for food of this quality and finese. Mist also praise Josh our waiter perfect service and knowledge.

• Visited November 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and atmosphere”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I visited Bistro 1847 when recently in Birmingham for a long-overdue catch up with friends. We started off with a fantastic cocktail and had a great table upstairs. The menu is small bit really exciting and gave us the opportunity to try everything and share! The food was fantastic - really adventurous and an excellent example of how vegetarian food can be wonderful. Even the non-veggies amongst us were bowled over.

I've visited the Manchester branch too and delighted this is bringing the same great food to Brum - my only criticism is there's not a branch in London...

Birmingham
“Best Veggie Restaurant in Birmingham!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I walk through the arcade every weekday morning and was so excited when I saw that Bistro 1847 was opening. Finally able to visit one lunchtime this week and wasn't disappointed.
We had the beer battered halloumi and chips and their take on cauliflower cheese - both dishes were delicious.
I don't normally do puds but was swayed by the 'Milk & Two Sugars', glad I was.

Two mains, two puds, one large glass of wine and 2 cups of tea - excellent value @ £29.00

Want to go in the evening now and try one of their cocktails.

Solihull
“Tremendous”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've been twice now to this new restaurant with different family members, once on the opening night in September and again last night. The food last night was even better than the first time. I really enjoyed the battered tofu, which is dense- textured and satisfying. The menu is interesting and I gather will be changed regularly.
The staff can't do enough for you and I absolutely love everything about this place. Sure, it's on the small side, but that to me adds to the atmosphere.
Anyone complaining about the café style interior, the clue is in the name - bistro!
I'm looking forward to going back, perhaps during the day so I can combine with a visit to the independent and vintage shops in the beautiful Great Western Arcade.
Good job!! See you soon. : )

2 Thank Linda P
“Great place & amazing food”
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this restaurant twice now with both family and friends. On both visits (one of which was the very first night the restaurant opened, and the second on a Saturday night in mid October) we found the staff to be the friendliest that we have ever encountered in a restaurant. Every single one of them made an effort to ensure we had a great time and they were happy to initiate a conversation beyond the usual 'was everything ok'. They showed an interest in us as people which was lovely - first class service. We found them to be extremely knowledgeable about all items on the menu - they answered all questions we asked and gave us additional information about the food when it arrived - telling us about how the sauces were made etc.

On both visits I had the battered halloumi with homemade chips which was divine. Great selection of wines and cocktails too.

Fantastic place, can't wait to go back.

1 Thank Twiglet88