“Bugs in the bathrooms and dust on everything else!”

The Birmingham Hotel
Ranked #114 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 19, 2012

bugs in the bathroom which are supposedly called 'Silverfish'. curtains were thick with dust. Bed was very comfortable but the rest of the room looked like it had been there since the dark ages. In need of serious renovation! And a good dusting!
Rooms smelt like smoke even though they were supposed to be non smoking and there was alos a big party going, this didnt affect us as were were staying there for a night out but if i had been the to get some rest i would not of found the '3 soundsystems' set up downstairs amusing!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The non smoking room stank of cigarette smoke, there was feces in and on the toilet basin, pubic hairs in the bed and dirty marks all over the carpets. I complained and was told by the receptionist that the hotel was dirty all over and that he would not stay there himself, ever!
I refused to stay and ended up driving 2 hours home instead.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Clearly in need of refurbishment! Shower falling apart, window does not shut properly, furniture falling apart, no tv remote, no radiators - portable heaters instead which have clearly seen better days!! Light fittings are only just attached to the walls, upside is bed linen clean.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 7, 2012

looks nice on the out side, but thats as good as it gets. the key did not work in the room door and there was a really bad smell of cig smoke in every room.the tv had no remote ,poor picture quality on all 4 channels and the plumbing was in need of some serious tlc. in need of a serious make over. The only good point i can mention is that the cook was very good the breakfasts were really nice.

Room Tip: the dining room is the best one in the hotel!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank paul g
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I recently stayed here on a business trip and thank goodness it was only one night, cause I would rather sleep in my car. It is NOT a 3 star, more like a 1star.
Firstly I got to my room, it was grubby, and needed a good clean. I had a single bed-the duvets were too small for the bed(even though it was a single bed) the duvets were wafer thin as well as the pillows which needed to be thrown away years ago. All the appliances-tv, kettle, cups were super old, and desperately need replacing. The room was freezing and the radiator didn't work. There was no remote for the tv, when asked for one, they brought one to the room, and it did NOT work. There is suppose to be freeview tv-there are only 4 channels. The plug next to the bed did NOT work, there were no lamps. The toilet made a horrific noise when flushed and sounded like it was about to take off. As I was in the shower, i had hot water for about 5min, it then ran out and there was NO hot water for the rest of the night. There are no vending machines downstairs, or no restaurant(it is being renovated, but surely make another plan). It needs a good clean from top to toe, and a renovation of the rooms ASAP!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Chris R
Reviewed July 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel as I had an appointment in the royal orthopaedic hospital the next morning. When we entered the hotel it was awful, a really bad smell and in need of a
Makeover. We then got our keycard to our room which was absolutely disgusting. It hadn't been cleaned or hoovered. Areas were absolutely horrible. The bedside cabinets were covered in cup stains, there was a hole in the ceiling where the pull down switch was, lights didn't work and the lighting that did was so murky and dim.... Obviously to hide the dirt, the curtains were hanging over and broken. When I pulled the bed back it had hair in it that did not look like it was off someone's head. I then scanned the floor to find food and TOENAIL CLIPPINGS on the floor. That I must add was the last straw in that room. So I went to reception to complain where the boy couldn't apologise enough. We then got given a second room and when we entered it it stunk of smoke in a non smoking room, plus we both were non smokers. And when I scanned the room it was unhoovered and there were fag buts on the floor. I then went and complained again and he said that he would find us another room and by this time I wanted to leave but my partners argument was that it was 9.40 at night and we had travelled 5 hours by car from Wales. So we settled for the third room. Which was not as bad but still quite dirty looking. The boy at reception also explained to me that it was under renovation as the old owners run it to the ground. So after settling into the room we pulled the bed covers back to find there was rubbish in the bed and if it had been changed there would not of been rubbish inside the bed. So that night we ended up sleeping on the two chairs in the room. Oh and as we entered the third room the poor lad at the desk offered us free breakfast. But I just thought if there beds were like that I would not want to see there kitchen so the next morning after a very sleepless night we left without breakfast and many pictures taken on our phone to prove out horrific hotel horror. I really think it should be closed and not advertised on laterooms.com and where ever else.
Many thanks Rebecca from
Wales.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Megcadi1
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The staff at The Birmingham Hotel are friendly and helpful but the rooms are shabby, accessed by several flights of stairs as there is no lift. The noise outside our room late at night was unacceptable during our visit (Easter period) as there seemed to be a large part of young men (possibly a stag party) - which made a decent night's sleep impossible. The breakfast was included and this was a very high standard - cooked to our exact requirements. Overall, the staff were excellent, the accommodation was significantly below average. This may have been a one-off experience but it was good value for money. Personally, I prefer a little more luxury and if you are looking for something basic and cheap this fits the bill. However, I will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends