“Cheap, not cheerful but breakfast is fantastic!”

The Birmingham Hotel
Ranked #113 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed November 8, 2011

After booking the hotel, I looked at the reviews and was convinced I had booked us into hell.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes the hotel is very run down and is sadly in need of a cosmetic revamp, it also needs sufficient cleaning staff to manage a large building. Grubby in places, tired and worn out the management really need a rocket from head office. Someone is cost cutting, shaving budgets to the bone and the impact is driving customers away!

The reception staff are lovely, helpful, polite, they really couldnt do more. We had an issue with our key which was sorted out promptly but the hike down endless stairs and corridors was irritating.

Geoffrey G, you missed out on a treat not going for the breakfast! Now that's what I call an Full English! The restaurant is clean and bright, the service is fast and efficient. None of your cheap nasty watery bacon here! Made to order, none of those revolting hot plates of luke warm overdone eggs and undercooked bacon, it was fantastic! We did avoid breakfast the first morning because of the general air of neglect in the hotel but after talking to the chef on the first evening we took the plunge and our expectations were exceeded.

We are back in Birminham in March and will definately consider staying at this hotel again,

Note to management, with a little bit of TLC this could be a great budget hotel! Your current cost cutting initiatives may be designed to ride out the current economic downturn but they are having a huge negative impact on customer experience and satisfaction. In a competative market if you want to survive you need to get the detail right! The thermastats in the bedrooms need to work!, the pillows need replacing and extra blankets and pillows need to be in the room ready for guests if they want them. Housekeeping is important! grubby carpets and curtains are a real turn-off. Moldy corners in bathrooms are unacceptable.

Room Tip: No lift, lots of stairs and no ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Birmingham Hotel

Reviewed October 25, 2011

First impression dirty in need of TLC, Fire dor on landing hanging open! All appliences in the room PAT tests out of date or No PAT sticker.

I book for Breakfast but after noticing the dirty appearance of the hotel declined breakfast.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had read previous reviews regarding this establishment, however this was AFTER I had booked! The bed was clean even although the 'duvet' was like a sheet of paper as was the pillow - on requesting more pillows this was a major problem but eventually 2 were found (there was 4 of us on this trip) The carpets, curtains were filthy, very tired. We then proceeded to the bar, they had Gin but no tonic, they only had Jack Daniels whiskey, the bottled beer was warm so although there was a fridge it was not switched on. As this trip was to visit the National Motorcycle Museum for my Dad's 81st birthday I was disappointed with the Hotel to say the least, after the bar closing at 11 - with no warning and no chance of any other drinks - not that there was much to choose from - we went to our rooms. The fire alarm starting going off about 2.30am and continued until 4.09am. My mother (80) slept with her clothes on as she was afraid, people were leaving the hotel through the night as they had had enough, the whole experience was a nightmare. Upon complaining at reception we were assured that we would receive a full refund, I am still pursuing this through Late Rooms.com which have been pretty good about the whole thing!! This hotel needs to be removed from any star ratings. We did however, move onto The Manor Hotel which was fantastic and I will review this next. We are not a fussy family, however, there is a standard that you expect and this was far from acceptable!

Room Tip: There is not one!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed for two nights , the hotel was dirty , not in a good area with alot of street noise . The duvet was very thin and the room was cold

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed June 25, 2011

You are greeted first by the shabby looking reception area, really in need of a full refurbishment. Then you are have the unfortunate experience of dealing with an extremely obnoxious man who is supposedly the General Manager. In all my years of staying at hotels, I have never met a Manager so rude, offensive and downright incompetent. He made it obvious that he couldn't be bothered to help when we asked about restaurants in the vicinity, and refused to look on the internet for us. We would have gladly eaten in the hotel restaurant for dinner, however we were rudely informed by him that it is not open for dinner, just bar food available in the evenings. We also overheard him swearing at another guest at the hotel, completely unprofessional behaviour!
The carpark is certainly not secure as there was a van broken into while we were staying there.
We will definitely not return to this place until it has had some serious money spent on refurbishment and the appointment of a competent General Manager.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank JustinSight
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stopping overnight in The Birmingham Hotel for a business trip, in Birmingham city centre, location was great, hotel standard was OK for price, cleanliness of room was excellent and well presented, dinner in the bar was of a high standard, although prices where slighlty too high.
On Check-In an asian male was very rude, had no manners and was very abrupt about directions to my room and to the city centre. Later in the evening the receptionist that was on duty assuming he was duty manager, I questioned him about the asain man on duty earlier on in the day he informed me that he was the hotel's General Manager.
For a General Manager to speak to quests in the way i had experienced is unexceptable he should be setting an example to all other members of staff.
The receptionist on duty then apologised once i had told him what had happened earlier on in the day on his behalf for his GM's actions and behaviour, the receptionist then was very helpful to me about directions to the city centre and things to do in Birmingham during my short stay, i also overheard him and a resturant member of staff talking about giving me an exceptional meal which i was very grateful for.
On the morning of my Check-Out i checked out with the GM and again he was very rude to not only me but the customer who was checking out before myself, i then asked him for head office details which he refused to give me, i have now found them out myself and have put in an official complaint about him as this was the worst customer service i have ever witnessed and recieved especially from a GM!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Stayed here with my son - we had checked previous comments and were a little concerned if I'm honest
We were welcomed by a really friendly and helpful guy who checked us in efficiently and offered good advice on the area and the nearby restaurants - a great welcome!
The area isn't great but its a walking distance from "the Balti triangle" or Ladypool Road where we had an awesome curry!
The hotel is a little tired in places and the bedroom Walls are a little thin, i could hear the room next door chatting. But the room itself was clean and tidy and had a good shower. Breakfast was good and a quick turnaround
Overall I think people who stay here should consider how much they are paying and what are they expecting for the money? It makes no airs or graces it just does exactly what it says on the tin! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011